Windows Defender Antivirus Scans Broken After New Update

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
You and I are talking about two different sides of a coin.

Mobile devices not included in that number. We might as well throw-in routers, Kindles, Cadillacs and the hadron collider. Do that and you can safely say that Linux has 90 % market penetration. Yet, still, Linux is not mainstream. OSes like Windows, MacOS and Chrome OS are mainstream.

And that's the debate I don't want to debate - what does "mainstream" mean ?
Linux is mainstream to weirdos.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
In what way did it broke something?
For many people it's not registering to Windows Security Center. For those it does, it takes time to register after computer startup so often it shows ESET and WD both are turned off error. Also, WD runs in the background after startup and keeps running for a while. It also made startup slow for some users. All these issue is related to how ESET registers itself to Windows Security Center which was changed in the latest version and causing these issues. Check ESET forum for more detailed info.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
You and I are talking about two different sides of a coin.

Mobile devices not included in that number. We might as well throw-in routers, Kindles, Cadillacs and the hadron collider. Do that and you can safely say that Linux has 90 % market penetration. Yet, still, Linux is not mainstream. OSes like Windows, MacOS and Chrome OS are mainstream.

And that's the debate I don't want to debate - what does "mainstream" mean ?

I don't see the Hadron Collider related to this discussion, of course every device counts, not just home desktops, people use smartphones, companies run servers, and Windows has lost both of these markets a decade ago, and because of the server market, they've lost the dev desktop too in technology companies

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I haven't paid for Widows since seven was installed & I didn't pay much for that & used 10 for free, & as just about all MS telemetry is blocked & I don't use Windows Apps, or Office MS have had little from me - If I have to pay for Windows again somehow in the future personally I will live with that - I could & have used Linux but there are a few things I need (want) from Windows for so sticking with Windows, at least for now o_O

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Linux is mainstream to weirdos.

This is funny.

'Cause it's kinda true..

1568970747788.png

L

Local Host

Kapsersky products have an incidence of problems that is right in there with most any other software. Kaspersky does not produce bug-free, unproblematic software. And please, do not even try the usual "It's because of what the user did to their Windows system".

Always promoting Kaspersky as the most polished security product is more about personal bias and issues than facts.

Just sayin'. Let's be real. It's software. Not Fabergé eggs.
You quotting the wrong person, I never mentioned any software is bug free (including Kaspersky).

Avoid reading between the lines.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
Linux devs should step up together and work on 2 or max 3 linux distros. In this case Linux might have same chance. If average user wants to install Linux, how to know which one to install? There is 54354354 distros and every distro have weird issues. Some hardware might work on Ubuntu, but won't work on Mint etc..

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@notabot,
You are right about Linux when we talk about web hosting servers, mobile devices, tablets, TV, etc., where Windows usage is marginal. Yet, non-web hosting servers in enterprises still prefer Windows.
Also, @zhuzhangspankspank is right when we talk about desktop & laptop computers (also in organizations and enterprises), where we have the opposite situation, with marginal usage of Linux.
See for example:
Apache HTTP servers: Apache HTTP Server Usage Survey Results : Apache HTTP Server
Servers worldwide:
https://itbrandpulse.com/2018-server-mkt-ldr-charts/
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat-continues-lead-linux-server-market
Global server share by OS 2018 | Statista
Operating systems worldwide: Operating System Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats
Desktops & laptops: Operating system market share

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The question is Windows has a market share higher than Linux, only at user level because it is easier.
But for serious things Linux.
the link is in Spanish you can use the translator.

You quotting the wrong person, I never mentioned any software is bug free (including Kaspersky).

Avoid reading between the lines.

I said Kaspersky does have serious problems just like most any other software. It's not as reliable and polished as you constantly make it out to be. The Kaspersky development team has its share of issues just the same as every other publisher.

Last edited by a moderator:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
@notabot,
You are right about Linux when we talk about web hosting servers, mobile devices, tablets, TV, etc., where Windows usage is marginal. Yet, non-web hosting servers in enterprises still prefer Windows.
Also, @zhuzhangspankspank is right when we talk about desktop & laptop computers (also in organizations and enterprises), where we have the opposite situation, with marginal usage of Linux.
See for example:
Apache HTTP servers: Apache HTTP Server Usage Survey Results : Apache HTTP Server
Servers worldwide:
https://itbrandpulse.com/2018-server-mkt-ldr-charts/
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat-continues-lead-linux-server-market
Global server share by OS 2018 | Statista
Operating systems worldwide: Operating System Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats
Desktops & laptops: Operating system market share

non-web hosting servers in enterprises still prefer Windows
: the main managed services in cloud providers use Linux as well ( though there is support for Windows, adoption is marginal ), I guess it depends what you mean by non-web hosting but load balancers, reverse proxies, managed databases, compute worker nodes all tend to be on Linux too.

Linux devs should step up together and work on 2 or max 3 linux distros. In this case Linux might have same chance. If average user wants to install Linux, how to know which one to install? There is 54354354 distros and every distro have weird issues. Some hardware might work on Ubuntu, but won't work on Mint etc..

Not gonna happen. And that's the reason that Linux will never be mainstream. Businesses and governments have tried, only to find too many maintenance and user problems and ultimately remove it.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
Not gonna happen. And that's the reason that Linux will never be mainstream. Businesses and governments have tried, only to find too many maintenance and user problems and ultimately remove it.
I know it won't happen. Actually it's going in opposite direction and there is more and more distros every year or even every month. Ubuntu is suppose to be main distro and it is buggy as hell. No way i would use it more then a week.

Windows is not perfect, but compare to linux is just on another level

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

That's the problem with linux. Some may see it as it being a good thing, but it's really not IMO. You search top linux distros and the list is a mile long. No wonder it hasn't taken off, it's way too diluted and confusing. Windows is Windows, doesn't matter of you build your own PC, buy it from Dell, Asus, etc... Granted they will all have different crap that they put on it, but aside from that, it's all the same.

While I like open source, I think this a negative for it. People will get mad, there will be fallouts within companies, etc... which usually turns into..."well fine I'll do it myself, my own way." Hence the million different distros, UI's, etc..

Furthermore it doesn't help that when it comes to troubleshooting and installing apps everyone still lives in the terminal. Its gotten much better, but you cannot troubleshoot anything without someone posting how to do it via command line. Atleast that's how I view it.

Don't get me wrong I like linux, Kubuntu is my favorite distro and I hope to switch to it fully one day, but I think having a million different distros and such isn't making it better, it's making it harder and more confusing IMHO. I think of they want linux to take off they need to work together instead of having everyone just doing their own separate thing. Probably wont happen, but until that happens it wont take off IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know it won't happen. Actually it's going in opposite direction and there is more and more distros every year or even every month. Ubuntu is suppose to be main distro and it is buggy as hell. No way i would use it more then a week.

Windows is not perfect, but compare to linux is just on another level

The average person wants easy, simple, plug-n-play above all else. The flexibility that dedicated Linux users love so much is rejected by the masses that see it as nothing but overwhelming complexity.

I myself find it extremely annoying when problems happen and I have to put a lot of time into fixing them. The knowledgebase for Linux is more readily accessible than that for Windows, but it suffers from what I call "sprawl." Stuff is spread-out all over the place. So when I go searching I find myself going down dead-ends or rabbit holes.

On the whole, Windows is just a lot easier for most people to handle. It's just designed with "most people" in-mind.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.