Troubleshoot Windows Defender Firewall

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Hello
I have been using Windscribe for a little over a month now and got my first popup from Windows Defender Firewall this morning. Only thing different is my Windows insider build updated to 17120 yesterday. I had no even turned on windsscribe this morning when I got the popup. Do you thing it was due to the Windows update?
ScreenHunter_90 Mar. 18 07.37.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windscribe VPN may load upon start-up and run to protect your PC at login.

You can Allow Access if you trust the application.

Unable to find any details about wsappcontrol.exe on the web.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Windscribe VPN may load upon start-up and run to protect your PC at login.

You can Allow Access if you trust the application.

Unable to find any details about wsappcontrol.exe on the web.
So you think the windows update caused it since I never saw it before?

Upvote 0

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
short answer is yes
When using Windscribe you should be using beta versions on Insider Previews
As current Windscribe stable is not updated for all the changes in Insider Preview builds,
If u wish to avoid such issues you should go to Windscribe preferances bebug and click on beta channel,
and Windscribe will update to the beta , however betas can have their own issues,

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
short answer is yes
When using Windscribe you should be using beta versions on Insider Previews
As current Windscribe stable is not updated for all the changes in Insider Preview builds,
If u wish to avoid such issues you should go to Windscribe preferances bebug and click on beta channel,
and Windscribe will update to the beta , however betas can have their own issues,
That is what I have been using all along (BETA).
ScreenHunter_92 Mar. 19 08.32.jpg

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would think it was a one time thing but still wonder what Defender blocked.
FYI, it's still a Windows Firewall notification. It's only called Windows Defender Firewall, because Microsoft decided to place all security features under one roof - Windows Defender Security Centre.

To configure Windows "Defender" Firewall with Advanced Security, open WDSC > Firewall & Network > Advanced Settings (accept UAC) to see all Inbound/Outbound rules. Here you can add, delete or modify existing rules.

upload_2018-3-19_14-17-25.png

According to Microsoft’s official support forum, usually, this notification requests the user to permit access to a process or a program, however, as soon as the corresponding activity starts, the notifications start appearing repeatedly. It is mostly seen when using a web browser. The most common culprit behind this notification in web browsers is a malicious plugin or a plugin that tries to connect to the internet without the user’s permission. Other causes may include software or apps that try to update themselves in the background without your permission as well as viruses and malware on your computer.

Source: Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Thank you spawn. The firewall does show two inbound block rules. One for TCP and one for UDP. Still not sure if I should set the rule to allow or not. Been using Windscribe for a little over a month now and this was the first warning and it was after the last insider update.
ScreenHunter_93 Mar. 19 09.29.jpg
ScreenHunter_93 Mar. 19 09.29.jpg
ScreenHunter_94 Mar. 19 09.30.jpg

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.