Advice Request Windows Defender + Malware Defender is enough to protect Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Hi Guys

Just want to find out if Windows Defender + Malware Defender will be sufficient for general security level?

Because i am having a hard time with a BitDefender while i am using my game trainer, and i would like to find out if you guys can provide alternative solutions.

Regards
Boring

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi Guys

Just want to find out if Windows Defender + Malware Defender will be sufficient for general security level?

Because i am having a hard time with a BitDefender while i am using my game trainer, and i would like to find out if you guys can provide alternative solutions.

Regards
Boring
Windows Defender came a long way and can be used as general security maybe enhanced by configure defender and helped by an adblocker like uBlock Origin and or AdGuard.
I would advise you to create a security config so that we all can help you even better.
Never heard of Malware Defender, what kind of program is that?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi Guys

Regards
Boring

Your OS is Windows10 right?
Which vendor provides "Malware Defender" 🤔

Bitdefender users may are able to help you for the best setup of Bitdefender: @Robbie

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Never heard of Malware Defender, what kind of program is that?
Which vendor provides "Malware Defender" 🤔
:oops:
Seriously??
and longer discusses
One of the most famous HIPS software...although not compatibile with latest Windows...
--------------
edit:
This is the last version with short description of features...link to download is active and everyone can get it

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I wouldn't use a security product that haven't been updated in 8 years

1586286769890.png

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I wouldn't use a security product that haven't been updated in 8 years

View attachment 236508
Simply saing...that fact is not important. Not in aplication like MD or in wider sense like HIPS/monitors, anti-exe, restriction policy/isolation/virtualisation and firewalls...and even backup apps. Shortly describing...malware detection is based in general on 3 questions:
- who?...it applies to most commonly used apps like AV and its signatures that discribe dangerous objects
- how?...it applies to behavioural monitoring/analisys where the most important matter is - is detected action suspicious/dangerous or not?
- where and what?...it applies to apps like HIPS that try to answer what object is trying to access some specified and vital parts of system/data/devices.
Core objects in supported system are precisely pointed and still the same (more or less) so is not important how old is security app if its work is done still on high level. Signatures are useless in this case.

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
As Gandalf said, you should make a security config. I'd advice just simply using Windows Defender with a browser adblock such as UBlock Origin. Using AndyFul/ConfigureDefender I've used High with in Defender settings setting Smartscreen to block can also increase security.

I left KIS due to some problems of slowdown system, browsing and especially certificates issues, so now i stay with Defender. I wonder if Andyful ConfigureDefender is secure and can to revert config to original settings if there is some issue. Thanks

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have WD and Configure Defender ( high settings). I'm wondering if WD would stop something like Astaroth malware ? Should I add more security?

Reactions: stefanos

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have WD and Configure Defender ( high settings). I'm wondering if WD would stop something like Astaroth malware ? Should I add more security?

The new and dangerous Astaroth malware:
View attachment 237776

In the case of Astaroth, attackers hide binary data inside the ADS of the file desktop.ini, without changing the file size. By doing this, the attackers create a haven for the payloads, which are read and decrypted on the fly.

So, how can this be stopped with H_C settings?
After the user downloads the malware and runs the unpacked content, the shortcut (LNK file) is normally executed which will be blocked by SRP. Even if the user applied the settings that allowed shortucts, then the shortcut normally runs JavaScript file via command-line (BAT commands are included in the shortcut - not in the BAT file), and the script will be blocked by SRP (blocked Windows Script Host).
This malware would be blocked by any predefined H_C setting profile (except All_OFF). It could be also stopped by blocking some Sponsors in H_C (bitsadmin.exe or ExtExport.exe), but this is not necessary (as usual) because of the previous protective layers.

The malware is prepared to avoid AV protection and can bypass SysHardener (if "Turn Off Windows Script Host" is unticked). SysHardener has an option to block the outbound connections of bitsadmin.exe, but unfortunately, this will not stop Astaroth from downloading payloads.

Edit.
SysHardener has several options to restrict Windows Script Host. Some options will block only such scripts when manually executed by the user (unassociated script extensions) and the second option which blocks all attempts of running such scripts (by the user or any process - including malware).

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is not an easy question. There always can happen a malware that is able to bypass your current or future setup (even very strong). The Astaroth malware can be probably blocked by one of the anti-script WD ASR rules (included in WD HIGH Protection Level).

I wonder if Andyful ConfigureDefender is secure and can to revert config to original settings if there is some issue. Thanks
Yes, it is secure and you can revert the settings. But be aware that it is the developer's opinion.:)

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
It is not an easy question. There always can happen a malware that is able to bypass your current or future setup (even very strong). The Astaroth malware can be probably blocked by one of the anti-script WD ASR rules (included in WD HIGH Protection Level).

Yes, it is secure and you can revert the settings. But be aware that it is the developer's opinion.:)

:giggle: A very valid opinion anyway. Thanks for this utility mate. I configured my three machines with Defender and High setting.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.