App Review Windows Defender vs GandCrab Ransomware: video review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted in powershell 5.0 in admin mode

Microsoft made easy bypasses for it.

Unless you are actively using PoSh all the time, you really should disable it.

SRP is good. @Andy Ful 's Hard_Configurator will do it. Also, disable the PoSh DLL.

Tip: locate system.management.automation.dll on the system in all locations and rename it to system.management.automation.dll_

PoSh is a menace, but wscript.exe is another menace.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SUA is Standard user account. It is the opposite of Admin account.

To put PS in constrained language, which is much stronger than, Restrained, run this script in PS:

[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable('__PSLockdownPolicy', '4', 'Machine')

If you have Constrained language, and you are in SUA, you have already prevented many attacks. But don't forget about Windows Script Host, like Lockdown mentioned.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a Windows 10 pro version. I keeep lerning to play with gpedit. And there is a option for example tur off script execution or somethin like that.
There is no one setting in GPO to turn off all script execution, AFAIK. Blocking Powershell by GPO is not strong. But blocking Windows Script Host should work, if you find such a setting in GPO.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
SUA is Standard user account. It is the opposite of Admin account.

To put PS in constrained language, which is much stronger than, Restrained, run this script in PS:

[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable('__PSLockdownPolicy', '4', 'Machine')

If you have Constrained language, and you are in SUA, you have already prevented many attacks. But don't forget about Windows Script Host, like Lockdown mentioned.
Unfortunately, the __PSLockdownPolicy can also be bypassed as standard user. It should be strengthened by disabling PowerShell script execution policy.
Built-in Windows Software Restriction Policies + PowerShell 5.0 can apply Constrained Language mode without bypass loop-hole for processes running as standard user.

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
In this situation, I'm happy.

I will make a small summary of my security settings in windows 10 with windows Defender and smartscreen and Edge browser.

Windows defender - blocked the option of disabling protection in gpedit.
Windows Defender - PUP Enabled
Smartscreen - blocked bypass option.
Disabled windows script host in regedit
Disabled flash player in MS Edge and windows
Uninstalled - Internet explorer, SMB protocol, SMB direct, Powershell 2.0
In Powershell 5.0 - entered [Environment] :: SetEnvironmentVariable ('__ PSLockdownPolicy', '4', 'Machine')

But I have a question - where to look for "Tip: locate system.management.automation.dll" on the system in all locations and rename it to system.management.automation.dll_ "should I look in the file explorator?

I wonder if I should add Secureaplus because I have a premium license, but install without a clamav engine.

And whether it is possible or will it be necessary to block the network activity of scripts after entering all these settings?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
W takim sytuacji ciesze się.

Zrobię małe podsumowanie moich ustawien bezpieczeństwa w windows 10 z windows Defender oraz smartscreen i przeglądarka Edge.

Windows defender - zablokowana możliwość wyłączenia ochrony w gpedit.
Windows Defender - PUP Enabled
Smartscreen - zablokowana możliwość obejscia.
Wyłączony windows script host w regedit
Wyłączony flash player in MS Edge i windows
Odinstalowany - Internet explorer, SMB protocol, SMB direct, Powershell 2.0
W Powershell 5.0 - wprowadzony [Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable('__PSLockdownPolicy', '4', 'Machine')

Ale mam pytanie - gdzie szukać "Tip: locate system.management.automation.dll on the system in all locations and rename it to system.management.automation.dll_" czy mam tego szukać w exploratorze plików?

Zastanawiam się czy dodać Secureaplus bo mam licencję premium, ale zainstalować bez silnika clamav.

Oraz czy da się lub czy będzie potrzeba po wprowadzeniu wszystkich tych ustawień zablokować aktywność sieciową skryptów?
@KonradPL napisz swój post po angielsku!
@KonradPL, please write your post in English.

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Unfortunately, the __PSLockdownPolicy can also be bypassed as standard user. It should be strengthened by disabling PowerShell script execution policy.
Built-in Windows Software Restriction Policies + PowerShell 5.0 can apply Constrained Language mode without bypass loop-hole for processes running as standard user.

What is the best option to disable execution of script, cmd and powershell 5?

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
What is wrong with Poland ? No one use SpyShelter ? It baffles me. SpyShelter Firewall is one of the most powerful protection programs.

Why are you making yourself vulgar and hitting nationality?
Do you see what programs to protect pc move?
I use spyshelter and MKS_Vir myself.
But I approach the subject of PC protection in a hobby and I wonder how the user can, on his own, raise the protection level built into windows.
Not everyone can use programs that you can.
Not everyone can afford to buy such a program for several machines if it has more than one.
And not even everyone needs such programs.

Following the path of your confusion, Avasta should use Czech, Bitdefender Romanians etc ...
I do not understand why you wrote it and I think it was not needed in this topic

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Why are you making yourself vulgar and hitting nationality?
Do you see what programs to protect pc move?
I use spyshelter and MKS_Vir myself.
But I approach the subject of PC protection in a hobby and I wonder how the user can, on his own, raise the protection level built into windows.
Not everyone can use programs that you can.
Not everyone can afford to buy such a program for several machines if it has more than one.
And not even everyone needs such programs.

Following the path of your confusion, Avasta should use Czech, Bitdefender Romanians etc ...
I do not understand why you wrote it and I think it was not needed in this topic
Hey, don't worry, Lockdown loves Poles, I think he meant to say that Poles should be more proud of their great product, SpyShelter, and use it, despite the fact that it costs too much for most people...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.