Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Win defender not working ?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
tried many steps to get win defender back to normal.
Hi i am trying to use windows defender on my win10, it is sort of working ,i have antimalware service executable(windows defender antivirus service) that is the only thing I see running in processes.Should there be a msmpeng.exe running also?
Also should there be MSASCui.exe instead of msmpeng.exe? I have no such file (MSASCui.exe) on my machine.
I have nothing in tray at startup is this normal also? This is all on 1809 latest build.
Just trying to figure out with this latest version what defender processes should be running and what files I need in Program files? Thks

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
On 1803 I have the following:

AntiMalware.exe
MSASCuiL.exe
MsMpEng.exe

There are 4 processes:

Antimalware Service Executable
Microsoft Network Realtime
Windows Defender Notification
Windows Security Health Service (WD Security Center)

I believe I have everything listed. You may want to post screenshots of Task Manager. Have you installed many AVs in the past, and may this be one possible cause? What was your most recent AV?

Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Thks for reply I only have 1st one and last one in processes running and out of those top 3 exe's I only see MsMpEng in defender folder but not running in processes.Defender is stopping the same malware (just a test file everytime) so I know it is working but something may be wrong.My last av was norton. I see no icon in system tray either for defender nor any warnings prompt when that file is known as malware.

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Hi i am trying to use windows defender on my win10, it is sort of working ,i have antimalware service executable(windows defender antivirus service) that is the only thing I see running in processes.Should there be a msmpeng.exe running also?
Also should there be MSASCui.exe instead of msmpeng.exe? I have no such file (MSASCui.exe) on my machine.
I have nothing in tray at startup is this normal also? This is all on 1809 latest build.
Just trying to figure out with this latest version what defender processes should be running and what files I need in Program files? Thks
In Win 10, Defender is active by default and in my experience, very difficult to disable entirely, what did you use to disable Defender to begin with, ie; third party security, tweaker?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.