Solved Windows do not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Hey :D

Well, i installed some updates for windows yesterday, and now my laptop wont boot.

It started to do a chkdsk, and now its f**ed up.

Its an acer aspire 5742G. My old laptop had a recovery tool, dunno if this have? Have tried ALT+F10, nothing happends. What to do? :)

br
Devial

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
You could go into safe mode and uninstall the updates you installed yesterday. So what happened when you did a Chkdsk? Is the PC worse than it was before? Also, what OS are you running; XP, Vista, Or 7?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

did you try the "repair mode" option when you press F8? it allow you to solve boot issues

did u have a back up image?

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Well. I can't get to safe mode. It says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem"
The Laptop did a chkdsk, i let it do it, and now it just says that.

Nope. I have done a windows recovery.

I am using windows 7 home premium.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When you say Windows Recovery, do you mean this? (see image --> Startup Repair).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

If you can't access Repair from boot, do you have your system repair disc on hand to use?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Upvote 0

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Do you have hard disk recovery enabled?

Hard Disk Recovery should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/acer/acer-aspire-system-recovery-partition

Then when you enable that then you restart your PC and hit ALT-F10.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

like i famous member of our forum will surely say to you : "Reformat" (you will have a clean system)

did you used your W7 install Cd?
or try to get Ultimate Boot CD.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

1- press Alt-F10 and keep it press, it is not like F8
2- did u do as i said about F8 then "repair" ?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Devial said:
I don't have any disc. Disc was not included.

I used the "recovery" in windows.
Disc wasn't included because the user was required to create the disc after installing Windows 7.

Upvote 0

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Wow I like how I was totally ignored and how someone refereed me to a member that I will not say. He has a recovery partition.

Devial try this:

http://www.pctechbytes.com/acer/acer-aspire-system-recovery-partition

Upvote 0

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
TKFlight: I have tried to do it, but nothing happends. And in BIOS, there is no advanced tab.

Tried ALT+F10 - F10 - F8 - nothing works.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

dont just press and release, keep pressing the buttons

try to download w7 recovery disk

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
If your laptop came with Windows pre-installed, you should be able to restore Windows by using the recovery feature. You might want to consult the manual that came with your laptop, it should be there (If there is a printed manual :p ). However you will loose all your data. If you have something important you might want to try using a live CD (for example Ubuntu's CD should work), attach an external HDD to your laptop or a USB stick and copy all important files from your windows partition.

You're saying that you can't enter the Recovery utility, maybe you've previously disabled this setting from your BIOS? If so, please check the BIOS settings (press <F2> during POST) and make sure the D2D (disk to disk) Recovery setting in Main is Enabled. Save settings and exit. To enter the recovery you should indeed press ALT + F10 but do it when the Acer logo shows up on the screen. But again, the user manual should include all this information.

Was the laptop plugged in during the installation of the updates or the battery ran out and it shut down? (since you've said that chkdsk started on itself)

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Try to access system restore by all means. Choose a restore point. Whether or not you can access System Restore in Safe Mode, I do not know, but that is what I would do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.