Advice Request Windows Firewall Control - is it still safe to use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I use Sphinxsoft W10 FW control and I seem to have a hunch that MBAM might include PUPs like Avast CCleaner in near future for promoting its products!

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Very interesting that they are still updating it even after malwarebytes has bought over the product. I was really surprised to see the update.

I guess it's still safe to use because it's still in a way "under development and updates"

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
DNS Client service is required to be enabled for the notifications to work properly.
I still do not like this part, keeping one of the most exploitable services running in order for notifications to work. Really?!
DNS Client service had a merit on dialup connections and such, but not these days, especially with encrypted DNS requests.

The installer and the files are now digitally signed.
I like this part, even though it is signed by Malwarebytes. :D

Reactions: Vasudev

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I don't use it anymore for now since I use Spyshelter Firewall.
Is is a real firewall or just allow/block? I am still looking for something better, Fortknow looks great, except it does not allow IP ranges.

D

Deleted member 178

Hardware encryption based off TPM 2.x?
no idea yet, i just installed it 2 days ago, i will dig deeper into it later. I'm more busy locking my system with it by creating specific rules. I need to relearn it, almost 5+ years last time used it.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I use Sphinxsoft W10 FW control and I seem to have a hunch that MBAM might include PUPs like Avast CCleaner in near future for promoting its products!

Sphinxsoft W10 FW control looks difficult I tried it. :( Maybe I am wrong. Is there tutorial somewhere ?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Sphinxsoft W10 FW control looks difficult I tried it. :( Maybe I am wrong. Is there tutorial somewhere ?
Every app must be configured in free version. I save most of them in xml file so I found it as easy. Initial setup takes lot of time.

no idea yet, i just installed it 2 days ago, i will dig deeper into it later. I'm more busy locking my system with it by creating specific rules. I need to relearn it, almost 5+ years last time used it.
I think it encrypts send/receive logs and deletes logs once its shutdown. And stealth based protection for browsers and keyloggers(Input Encryption is what mean by encrypted comms. but it'll be expensive on battery power.)

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Every app must be configured in free version. I save most of them in xml file so I found it as easy. Initial setup takes lot of time.

I think it encrypts send/receive logs and deletes logs once its shutdown. And stealth based protection for browsers and keyloggers(Input Encryption is what mean by encrypted comms. but it'll be expensive on battery power.)

What about in the paid version does ever app need to be configured ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.