Windows Hidden Tools You Might Not Know About??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I haven't seen this posted on the forum! Here's some window 7 tools I have found very useful and are kind a hidden. I'm sure you experienced users know about them, but maybe there are some members that haven't. If you know another one, please post it! These are my favorites!
Malicious Software Removal Tool(Type mrt in search)
Problem Steps Recorder(Type record in search)
Sound Recorder(Type record in search)
Remote Assistance(Type remote in search)
Snipping Tool(Type snipping in search)
Here's my favorite that can show you how your PC is performing. It is hidden also. I have seen very very techs using this useful tool and I don't know why they aren't. It doesn't have all the answers, but it can be very helpful if you use it on a daily basis. It shows some of the same things you see in the event viewer, but also has a cool graft.Shoot for a 10. That's the best you can do.
It's called Reliability Monitor and can be found by typing Reliability Monitor in search! I'm going to attach a link that explains it much better than I ever could. I almost have a 10.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-reliability-monitor/

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 525

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! OK I'll add some more of my favorites.
Type performance in search and you will find a whole bunch of helpful tools.
One of my favorites is (Check for performance issues) This is a little harder to find.
Click on action Center. Then click on Trouble Shooting. You will find it at the bottom! It will check your PC for a lot of things. The feature I like best here is the one that searches for to many start ups. You will see I don't have that issue!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Here is something I haven't tried (yet) but read of, and shall pass along here.

To check for program software conflicts with security software,
find Windows Reliability Monitor from
  1. Control Panel
  2. > All Control Panel Items
  3. >> Action Center
  • WIndows Reliability Monitor

Reactions: Ali80 and tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Malicious Software Removal Tool(Type mrt in search)
Problem Steps Recorder(Type record in search)
Sound Recorder(Type record in search)
Remote Assistance(Type remote in search)
Snipping Tool(Type snipping in search)

MSRT is deployed via Windows Update (as well as standalone), every month and will remove any prevalent threat that is detected in it's list. More details can be found here: http://support2.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=890830

If you run MSRT via the Run command, you can run a Quick, Full or Custom scan. (Note: This tool does not replace your Antivirus).
Code:
mrt

upload_2014-12-4_17-24-23.png

Sound Recorder has been with Windows for a while, however it's restricted to saving recorded sessions to .WMA only.

Snipping Tool is great for selecting parts of your desktop. Although the edit features are not that powerful, you can easily Copy to an Image Editor software, or paste directly onto sites like Imgur.com for upload. Or as another example, this reply box, without needing to Save or Upload the file manually.

upload_2014-12-4_17-27-16.png

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
I tried every tool you mention. These are not actually hidden :) However my favorite is Command Prompt - commands (they reveal some real secrets) and EMET from Microsoft Developer page.

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Here is something I haven't tried (yet) but read of, and shall pass along here.

To check for program software conflicts with security software,
find Windows Reliability Monitor from
  1. Control Panel
  2. > All Control Panel Items
  3. >> Action Center
  • WIndows Reliability Monitor
Hi! Cats-4 ! Did you know that the reliability monitor can also be a big help for BSOD??
Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Thanks everyone for your great replies and suggestions.
Here's one that is a must IMHO. If you don't want to use a 3rd party program to create a back up image of your OS;(Humm, please cats-4, this is tool for you), use the windows back up feature. Very easy to use and can be scheduled to run automatically . You may be glad you used this tool some day!
Here's a link that will show you how. If you haven't done this; please do it right now, and save yourself some grief in the future!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi! Cats-4 ! Did you know that the reliability monitor can also be a big help for BSOD??
Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.
donetao, thank you.:cool: Now, if we can get myself on board the next time machine out to any time zone during those bleak hard days from before I knew there was an oasis called MalwareTips, I shall have then missed all the unique privileges of knowing exactly what a :eek:Blue Screen of Death truly looked like upon our very own computer monitor!!:D

"There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." -morpheus

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas and Ali80

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I tried every tool you mention. These are not actually hidden :) However my favorite is Command Prompt - commands and EMET from Microsoft Developer page.
Hi Ali80! Command Prompt is cool! You can get to command Prompt by (Type cmd in search)
I'm afraid I'm not good at this. A little before my time, but it's a excellent tool.
Thanks! Just added my 2 cents. Hope you don't mind!;)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx?mfr=true

Reactions: Ali80

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Here's another tool that doesn't get mentioned a lot by techs. Not as good maybe as memtest86+, but still a great w7 tool that doesn't get much attention. You can access this tool by (typing memory diagnostics in search.) It can also be accessed with a system repair disc if you're not able to boot into windows!
Have you made a system repair disc like I suggested? Why are you waiting??:p
Windows Memory Diagnostic

Windows includes a Memory Diagnostic tool that can restart your computer and test your memory for defects, like the popular MemTest86 application. If you want to check your computer’s memory for errors, you don’t need a third-party tool — just open the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 435

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I see Malware Tips has now taken over 3rd place on Google on this topic. We're a head of howtogeeks. That should be good advertisement for our forum;don't you think??;) Lets make Malware Tips the #1 help forum on the internet sense PC Help Forum no longer welcomes me, I'll spend my time helping here as long as I'm welcome here.:)

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 437

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In CMD that uses Windows OS under x86 architecture then type debug where you can play those assembly codes but don't worry nothing will cause crashes on the system only cmd. ;)

However you need to study those basic concepts in order to make a program in low level.

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Thank you for your kind reply!
You are welcome @donetao

Here is one Command Prompt tip for You:

1. Type cmd in search field;
2. Right click on cmd and select Run as administrator;
3. After you enter your credentials...type sfc /scannow (there is space between sfc and /)
4. You'r done.

System File Checker (sfc) is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833 This is very usefull in combination with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool you mention and hard disk Error-checking tool more you can find here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Pozdrav :)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
You are welcome @donetao

Here is one Command Prompt tip for You:

1. Type cmd in search field;
2. Right click on cmd and select Run as administrator;
3. After you enter your credentials...type sfc /scannow (there is space between sfc and /)
4. You'r done.

System File Checker (sfc) is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833 This is very usefull in combination with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool you mention and hard disk Error-checking tool more you can find here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Pozdrav :)
Hi Great tip! Always a great way to check for any corruptions in your windows files. Remember to click run as administrator or it may not work!( As you said in your reply) It may take over two hours to complete, so be patience!
Sorry My computer vocabulary isn't that great!
Great tip!
Thank you!

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! How many of you have created a system repair disc?? Not exactly hidden, but not really talked about either!
What's the difference between a recovery cd and and a system repair disc?? Both are designed to get your windows back up and running when you experience problems.
http://www.andyrathbone.com/2009/12...very-discs-and-windows-7s-system-repair-disc/
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02058933&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en
If Windows 7 won't start or starts with significant problems, you may need to use the system repair disc to fix problems with Windows 7. The System Repair Disc is designed to let you boot up Windows — even if nothing else works — and provides you with several options for repairing your failing system.

You need to create the system repair disc. If you don’t create one, you limit your recovery options. The system repair disc is not the same thing as the recovery disc that came with your computer. It won’t reinstall Windows 7 and it won’t reformat your computer. It's simply a gateway to Windows' built-in recovery tools.

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 427
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.