Advice Request Windows must have updates/programs/apps etc?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
What are some updates/programs/apps that Windows needs so that everything can operate as planed?
Like: directX , Microsoft Visual C++ etc?

I find myself sometimes with errors or some dll files missing when installing certain apps.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
What are some updates/programs/apps that Windows needs so that everything can operate as planed?
Like: directX , Microsoft Visual C++ etc?

I find myself sometimes with errors or some dll files missing when installing certain apps.
There is no definite list, it depends on the program you are trying to run, read the minimum requirements for the program on its website/forum.
Usually Windows will ask you if an app needs to install/enable some other component like VC++ or DirectX. Personally I haven't seen these kind of error for a long time.

Googling the "error code + name of program you are trying to run" might point you in the right direction.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
In that case, you can install all the vcredist at one go using this. I had cases where some program installed an older version of vcredist even though I already had the latest one installed. Running this installer again will remove the old one and install the new one automatically again.
It's not a must to install all the vcredist but nowadays, I usually do this to avoid any incompatibility in case I install some old apps/games since it doesn't take much space.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
In that case, you can install all the vcredist at one go using this. I had cases where some program installed an older version of vcredist even though I already had the latest one installed. Running this installer again will remove the old one and install the new one automatically again.
It's not a must to install all the vcredist but nowadays, I usually do this to avoid any incompatibility in case I install some old apps/games since it doesn't take much space.
Is this also best to install the above "AIO Repack for latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes" after clean installation of Windows 11 Pro?

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@SeriousHoax the size of it was very small:
1664732095631.png

Is that correct file I downloaded?

But it needed an internet connection so at the end it did install all these listed in Revo:
1664732142178.png

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

@SeriousHoax the size of it was very small:
View attachment 269737
Is that correct file I downloaded?

But it needed an internet connection so at the end it did install all these listed in Revo:
View attachment 269738
Did you bother to carefully read the description before you downloaded anything? The size is small because it is a script (.bat) to download all the C++ from Microsoft. It is an "All-in-One" pack that installs every single C++ runtime whether your system needs it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
One nifty application that I always install in Windows is:
Hourglass - The simple countdown timer for Windows

Requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8

Reactions: Pixelman

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Does this have the .NET Framework 4.8 too?

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

I use these:
# Dependencies
Games Dependecies: DirectX
Games Dependecies: XNA Framework
Games Dependecies: OpenAL
Graphics Dependecies: OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack
C++ Dependecies: Visual C++ Redistributables
C# Dependecies: .NET Runtime
Multimedia Dependecies: K-Lite Codec Pack Basic
.NET Framework 3.5
.NET Framework 4.8
Also, OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack might not be necessary on new computers.
For K-Lite Codec Pack Basic Enable generation for all thumbnails and decline participation in their p2p network.
1664863631647.png

• Thanks
Reactions: amirr and Pixelman

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
New version I noticed is out 13 days ago. Version v0.64.0.
I had version 62 in my PC and in a recent clean install of Windows, I used version 62. Was that ok, or I need to run the new version 64? Thank you so much.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
New version I noticed is out 13 days ago. Version v0.64.0.
I had version 62 in my PC and in a recent clean install of Windows, I used version 62. Was that ok, or I need to run the new version 64? Thank you so much.
He updates the file when a new version of vc redist 2022 comes out. So if you want to update to the latest version then you can install the latest one. Most software won't require the very latest version so you can ignore at the moment if you want.
Personally, I always keep it up-to-date.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If even I don't want to clean install Windows, is it a good idea to install a newer version of "GitHub - abbodi1406/vcredist: AIO Repack for latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes"

• Thanks

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Software I Use - 2021 Edition - TweakHound

Apps, Tools & Services · Stefan Imhoff

I always refer to the two list above.

• Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.