Advice Request Windows Privacy Software/ Firewall Rules

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which (If any) Windows Privacy Software/ Actions do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Do you use any Windows 10 Privacy Software?...
...and Do you employ any Firewall Rules / Blocking for this reason?

• Ashampoo Antispy:
"Ashampoo AntiSpy for Windows® 10 gives you an overview of all critical system settings and allows you to disable each one at the click of a button. Two included presets allow you to disable any reporting to Microsoft or rely on recommendations by our security experts."
Ashampoo.com / AntiSpy for Windows 10

• Destroy Windows Spying:
(Open Source Software)
"Features High efficiency / Disable/enable Windows updates / Constant updates / Disable Windows Defender / Blocking IP addresses / Removing Metro applications / Open source / And much more..."
techspot.com / Destroy Windows10 Spying (UPDATED: Aug 18th 2016)

• O&O ShutUp10:
"O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far.
Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated."
OO Software.com / ShutUp10

• Spybot Anti-Beacon:
"Anti-Beacon is small, simple to use, and is provided free of charge. It was created to address the privacy concerns of users of Windows 10 who do not wish to have information about their PC usage sent to Microsoft. Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system."
Safer-Networking.org / Spybot Anti-Beacon

• Windows Privacy Tweaker:
"...but all your suspicions may be resolved because now there is Phrozensoft Windows Privacy Tweaker that easily restores all your settings to it maximum safety levels. Use it and you have no more issues about your privacy or online safety.
We take care about that"
Phrozensoft.com / Windows Privacy Tweaker

• W10 Privacy:
"The primary focus is on settings for Windows 10 and its apps (for example the new browser "Edge"). The program will be expanded gradually, if possible and available, with the corresponding Windows 8.1 features in the future.
W10Privacy is certainly no programming masterpiece, but meets my envisaged purpose. The software is still in an early development phase: suggestions and requests will be gladly accepted and considered, if necessary, in the further development!"

WinPrivacy.de / W10 Privacy

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As J Gamez065 has shared, I have neither felt the need to make use of the specialized software mentioned :rolleyes:above nor had I known there were so many,o_O some whose names are familiar though many more of which are new to me.
Following a :eek:suspense:confused: filled, and ultimately satisfying,:cool: experience of upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, I'd initially (manually) deactivated some of it's heavier handed features which included Cortana. I shall now look more closely at the variety of options revealed here!;) This thread, and the very mention of increasing privacy levels in Windows is quite relevant as well as very appreciated.
Thank you!:D

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I checked :
  1. Destroy Windows Spying
  2. O&O ShutUp10
  3. Spybot Anti-Beacon
  4. Windows Privacy Tweaker
  5. W10 Privacy
Thanks for your thread and links to these products, will be able to test and update them :)

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

• O&O ShutUp10
  • Windows Privacy Tweaker
  • Win10Privacy

I use them to uninstall Windows Apps, OneDrive, and disable\enable things that I want.

As far as telemetry, using a Microsoft Account is much worse than built-in telemetry. When you use an MS account you agree to share many things that can be linked to you personally, whereas telemetry is sanitized.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
  • O&O ShutUp10
  • Windows Privacy Tweaker
  • Win10Privacy
I use them to uninstall Windows Apps, OneDrive, and disable\enable things that I want.

As far as telemetry, using a Microsoft Account is much worse than built-in telemetry. When you use an MS account you agree to share many things that can be linked to you personally, whereas telemetry is sanitized.
From being here as long as I have, you come off as a "Glass half empty" kind of guy, and I'm ok with that.
But most days after reading you replies i am stuck with a gloom and doom feeling way down in my gut. :p
Only you have this effect on me lol, Maybe its a side effect of carrying all that knowledge your burdened with :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
maybe can i ask u for those rulesfor kaspersky TS firewall ?
I dont so much have a rule list, I guess I could put one together and PM it to you, but what I use is Windows Firewall Control
as you can see by my system Icons in my sig. I methodically comb through and google each process, both native and non native
and I allow or block based on its need and security level, then I export that rule set and save it on a thumb so I don't have to repeat later.
I promise it is time consuming the first time, but I save a ton of data monthly by taking the time to do this, and also the added security benefits.
WIndows Firewall Control intimidated me at first, now I cant live without it :) I will see about making you a list my friend. PeAcE

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

From being here as long as I have, you come off as a "Glass half empty" kind of guy, and I'm ok with that.
But most days after reading you replies i am stuck with a gloom and doom feeling way down in my gut. :p
Only you have this effect on me lol, Maybe its a side effect of carrying all that knowledge your burdened with :)

LOL... I just tell the truth... Things that soft vendors won't tell you for sure. What you don't know will harm you when it comes to IT matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.