Windows Repair Toolbox - Have you tried it?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Program version: 1.3.0.0 (27.04.2016)
Definitions version: 1.0.6.0 (27.04.2016)

Portable version (2,03 MB)
Will try out the tool. Thanks for the share!
The direct link for Portable version supplied in the main post is not apparently working, it opens a new page but does nothing. Could you update it from the main site?
(I've already downloaded the tool from main site, this is just for information).

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Will try out the tool. Thanks for the share!
The direct link for Portable version supplied in the main post is not apparently working, it opens a new page but does nothing. Could you update it from the main site?
(I've already downloaded the tool from main site, this is just for information).

Thank you for the heads up!

I cannot edit the main post because it wasn't me who opened this thread, but I've already sent a PM to @BoraMurdar asking him to update the links.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi, I've updated Windows Repair Toolbox to version 1.8.0.2:

- Replaced Snappy Driver Installer with DriversCloud.
- Now the portable version will only display the initial licence window the first time it runs.

Thank you.

Reactions: brambedkar59

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released a new version of WRT (1.8.0.3). Here's what's changed:

- Replaced DriversCloud with Snappy Driver Installer Origin;

- Replaced Minitool Partition Wizard with Macrorit Disk Partition Expert (this second one is a portable program);

- If the system drive is identified as an SSD, and the user clicks the "Disk Defrag" button the message bellow will be shown:

print1.jpg

- If the system drive is identified as an SSD, the user can no longer select "Disk Defrag" as part of the Unattended Fix (because the system drive is the one that is defragmented during the process). The message bellow will be displayed:

print2.jpg

As always, your feedback is useful and appreciated.

Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone, I've just released version 1.8.0.4. Now every time that the SMART warning is not shown (that is most of the times), WRT will, in it's place, attempt to show whether the system is using BIOS or UEFI:

print1.jpg

Reactions: brambedkar59

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've released version 1.8.0.5. It contains just a small change: the extra information about the system drive, that used to be shown when the mouse was hovered over the "Disk" label, is now shown when the mouse is hovered over a new blue "+info" label, because previously there was no way that the user could know that the information was there. This is how it looks now:

print1.png

Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi everyone, I've just released version 1.9.0.0 . Here's what's changed:

- In the “Final Tests” tab, the “Service Pack” button, that opens System Properties, has been replaced with the “Win. Version” button, that opens Microsoft’s Version Reporter Applet. This one shows more complete information: Windows version, edition and build.

- Added an option to turn off the monitor that shows the amount of free space available in the system drive.

- When the “Clear Downloads” button fails to remove some file, it will now identify it in the error message that is displayed.

- While previously WRT would assume that C:\ is always the system partition, now it will detect and behave accordingly in those rare cases where the system is in a different partition.

- Fixed: If you want to, you can now rename Windows_Repair_Toolbox.exe without Rkill killing the program during the Unattended Fix (this was already working for when you launched Rkill alone, but not when it was used within the unattended fix process).

- Improvements to the Unattended Fix process.

- Some other improvements and fixes.

As usual, any questions, suggestions or bug reports, please let me know.

Thank you!

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just updated WRT to version 1.9.0.1. I've changed the "chkdsk" button in the first tab to "chkdsk c:".

I did this because if the portable version of WRT was executed from a pen drive, it would perform the check disk on that pen drive and not in the system drive, as intended (what was natural since that the command invoked was simply chkdsk, without any parameters).

Thank you.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Updated the WRT to version 1.9.0.2. I've just updated the Java Uninstall Tool to it’s newest version. The modified Java Uninstall Tool no longer requires Java, and runs as an .exe (the previous tool ran as a Java applet). More information here: Information about the Java uninstaller tool

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi everyone, I've released version 1.9.0.3 of WRT:

- The internet connection monitor now returns the result of the test much more quickly (in the tests i did, this fixed the issue of WRT showing “not responding” for a several seconds when the internet gets disconnected).

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, version 1.9.0.4 is now available:

- Improved the verification of program and definitions updates during the startup (made it more accurate and streamlined).

Under some circumstances WRT would believe that the server was accessible, when in fact it was not. That caused it to try to check updates at startup, when it shouldn't. And that could cause error messages, and i also suspect that it would sometimes make the program get stuck in the "Loading...please wait..." screen.

- Fixed an issue that when one button is clicked, another unrelated one got focus. Additionally, the TAB button now allows to navigate through the "Settings" tab buttons and checkboxes (regarding the checkboxes, they don't gain visible focus, and they can be check/unckecked using SPACE key).

- A few other internal improvements.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, here's a little tutorial in how to add Ninite installers to the "Custom Tools" tab list.
The advantages are that the Ninite installers are always updated and don't contain adware.

Here are some finished examples:
<LINKS title="Google Chrome" link="https://ninite.com/chrome/ninite.exe" exe="chrome_ninite.exe"/>
<LINKS title="Firefox" link="https://ninite.com/firefox/ninite.exe" exe="firefox_ninite.exe"/>
<LINKS title="Opera" link="https://ninite.com/operaChromium/ninite.exe" exe="opera_ninite.exe"/>

- Go to Ninite website, choose one or more aplications, and click "Get Your Ninite".

- Go to the "Downloads" section of your browser and copy the download link. Use it when creating the entry in "custom.xml" file. You can use the examples above as a reference.

- Rename the .exe name from "ninite.exe" to something more significant in order to avoid conflicts. As you can see, in the examples above i added a prefix, e.g.: "ninite.exe" changed to "opera_ninite.exe" (but do not change the .exe name in the download link itself).

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone, version 1.9.0.5 of Windows Repair Toolbox is now available:

- WRT can now start in a reduced functionality mode (safe mode). Use this mode whenever you're working in a machine that has problems and you're unable to start or use the program normally. To do it, just run the “start_WRT_in_reduced_functionality_mode.bat” batch file (it's in the same folder as Windows_Repair_Toolbox.exe). Alternatively, you can run WRT from the Command Prompt using the /safe argument. This replaces and is a different and better implementation of the startup in minimal mode that was added in the first versions of WRT, and that would no longer work in the latest versions.

print1.jpg

- Added a lower time-out to the program and definitions updater that runs at startup.

- In the “Settings” tab, under the “Unattended Fix scan settings” groupbox, the scan settings will only show if the correspondent tool is selected to run in the “Malware Removal” tab.

print2.jpg

As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released version 1.9.0.6. It basically contains two fixes, and some improvements in the "Notes" tab.

Fixed:
- If the "start_WRT_in_reduced_functionality_mode.bat" was right-clicked > "Run as Administrator", from some location that was not the system drive, it would return an error. This as been fixed, and now it will also work correctly in that scenario.

- WRT was able to run under a Standart User Account with UAC disabled, when it shouldn't. This would result in WRT being launched without administrative privileges, and consequently in several errors during it's use.

Added:
- Added a proper "Save" button to the "Notes" tab. The previous one was a "Save as..." button and that would make it unpractical when one just wanted to quick save some annotations made to an already saved file . Now both "Save as..." and "Save" buttons are present in the "Notes" tab.

Besides, a previously kept file that you load in the "Notes" tab, will now be automatically saved every minute. This is in order to make sure that at least your most recent annotations are saved if something unexpected terminates the program.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released version 1.9.0.7. Here's what's changed:

- The monitors will now run on their own separated threads.

- Before the beginning of the "Run Unattended", all tools previously downloaded by WRT used to be deleted.
Now only those that are necessary to delete will be deleted - in order to shorten the preparation time, to save bandwidth, and to preserve the "Custom Tools" folder.

- If you’ve added custom tools to WRT, when clicking “Clear Downloads” in the settings tab you’ll now be asked if you also want to delete them as well or if you prefer to keep them.

- When executed as part of the "Run Unattended", Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, besides the high and moderate threat levels, will now also neutralize objects with low threat levels (changed the command line argument from -processlevel 2 to -processlevel 3).

- Fixed: when executed under WRT, SDIO wasn’t showing the initial welcome screen.

- Some other internal improvements and changes.

Thanks!

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi everyone, version 1.9.0.8 is now available:

- Added the ability to add offline tools to the toolbox (functionality available from the “Custom Tools” tab):
wrt-3.jpg

- Updated the “GSmartControl” download method, since GSmartControl has recently beginning to offer two different versions: one for Windows XP and other for Windows Vista and later.

- Replaced “FixWin” with a link to “Microsoft Easy Fix” (previously known as “Microsoft Fix it”).

- Replaced “ComboFix” with “HitmanPro”.

- Several other minor improvements and fixes.

Thanks!

Ps: sorry for the typo in the "throw" word in the custom tools tab.

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi guys, I've released version 1.9.0.9.

I've just corrected a misspelled word in the instructions text of the "Custom Tools" tab.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and Fritz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.