Windows script host

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Sorry if I made havoc . I just fell over the disabling of the script host, and thought that looked like a good idea.Still do. But of course it has to be done the right way. I am no PC wizard, I just try to make it all play without too much fuzz.;)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Create the new file, change the extension to .vbs and try to run it, if you get the message, that is it blocked, that you have done it properly.

capture_01052019_140327.jpg

True fileless malware can even use powershell without it being on the target system, the malware is embedded with powershell.
Why did you have to say that?! I was so sure of myself, now I will not be able to sleep anymore, until I solve it. :cautious:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So what happens if I disabled WSH? Does it affects my installation/uninstallation of software or any other side effects?
No, for the standard applications.
Windows Script Host scripts are used sometimes (very rarely), for example by 'Intel(r) Energy Checker SDK'. Blocking WSH in the home environment do not break anything important.

@Andy Ful

So what registry tweaks should apply for system-wide and command prompt protection for 64-bit Windows?

I'm not finding it as a feature in VS etc. Not sure about OSArmor though
Block Windows Script Host script execution on Windows 64-bit:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
The above should be executed from Administrator Command Prompt (use 'Run as administrator') !

The Command Prompt cannot be blocked system wide, because it is used as an alternative shell in Windows (Safe Boot can start system in Command Prompt). It can be blocked per user. The below is the way to block it on the default Administrator type of account (not SUA):
Code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "DisableCMD" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
The user still can execute .bat and .cmd scripts as administrator.
The above reg tweak will not work on SUA (Standard User Account). On SUA one should use the similar key in the proper HKU registry hive.
Yet, OneDrive uses Command Prompt to clean the leftovers after updates, Sandboxie uses it to clean the sandbox, Intel software can use it for launching igfxEM.exe or igfxHK.exe, or igfxTray.exe, etc. So, disabling Command Prompt is more tricky than disabling Windows Script Host.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
One side question

Can scripts execute via Powershell besides WSH? If yes, then shouldn't we disable/block Powershell as well?

Besides WSH (or Powershell if it does) what other routes can scripts execute?
PowerShell is the most dangerous Windows scripting language, so it should be restricted in the first place.
Tutorial - How do you secure PowerShell?
PowerShell interpreters can be blocked, but this does not mean that PowerShell functionality can be totally blocked by this. The PowerShell functions are contained in the System.Management.Automation.dll and System.Management.Automation.ni.dll. It is not recommended to block those DLLs.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I guess that only applies, when run as user is specified? I can not run .bat as admin, when disablecmd is in effect.
Thanks. 'Run as administrator' can be used to bypass blocked Command Prompt only if you would block Command Prompt on SUA. But, blocking Command Prompt by policy on SUA cannot be done via HKCU reg tweak. One has to do it via the proper HKU registry key. My post was not precise, so I edited it.(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
On 64-bit Windows the above checks only 64-bit Windows Script Host.
For checking 32-bit Windows Script Host on 64-bit Windows you should also execute from the Explorer the below command line:
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\wscript.exe "path2yourscript"

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Indeed if H_C block without mercy Windows Script Host.(y)

View attachment 205365
You can block Windows Script Host via H_C settings in 2 different ways:
  1. Windows policy - blocks it also for administrative tasks.
  2. SRP - blocks it for the user and malware which run without admin rigths (not elevated), but allows it for administrative tasks.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
For checking 32-bit Windows Script Host on 64-bit Windows you should also execute from the Explorer the below command line:

What is that do?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Can use a registry tweak to set it?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What is that do?
When you execute the script by a mouse-click, then on 64-bit Windows the 64-bit interpreter wscript.exe is used by default to run the script. So, you did not test if the 32-bit interpreter was blocked.
The commandline from my post, executes the script like malware can do, by using 32-bit interpreter wscript.exe on 64-bit Windows. So, if you have the script helloworld.vbs in "c:\scripts" folder, then you have to execute the commandline:
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\wscript.exe "c:\scripts\helloworld.vbs"
If you will see the alert that Windows Script Host is blocked, then you can be sure that also 32-bit interpreter wscript.exe is blocked, for sure.

Simply copy & paste & execute the commandline in the 'Quick access' area in Windows File Explorer, or in the Command Prompt console.(y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Can use a registry tweak to set it?
What do you mean? I assume that the registry tweaks are already done.:unsure:
It is not the commandline to introduce the new tweak, but only the commandline for checking if the already applied reg tweaks (for blocking WSH) are working well.(y)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.