Guide | How To Windows Security Diagnostics - Fix It

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Diagnose and repair Windows security problems by turning on UAC, DEP protection, Windows Firewall and other Windows security options and features.

What it fixes...
  • Checks Windows security features and enables them if needed
  • Phishing or Smartscreen filters
  • User Account Control (UAC)
  • Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
  • Windows Firewall
  • Antivirus protection status and updates

Visit Windows Security Diagnostics and allow 'Fix It' to automatically protect and secure Windows.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have used this many times on systems with corrupt Windows components and it usually works like a charm.

Thanks. :D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Not available for Windows 8.1 Preview but will be available when the final version of 8.1 is released.

I've never needed to use this tool but have known about it for a good couple years. Will be sure to give it a try next time an issue arises.

jollyholly

Jul 19, 2013
Hello,

I would like to know what I need to do to secure my computer. I have Windows 7. Also, I already use an Anti-virus, so this tool you have mentioned, will that conflict with the Anti-virus?

Thanks

Earth said:
Diagnose and repair Windows security problems by turning on UAC, DEP protection, Windows Firewall and other Windows security options and features.

What it fixes...
  • Windows Firewall

Visit Windows Security Diagnostics and allow 'Fix It' to automatically protect and secure Windows.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
jollyholly said:
Hello,

I would like to know what I need to do to secure my computer. I have Windows 7. Also, I already use an Anti-virus, so this tool you have mentioned, will that conflict with the Anti-virus?

Thanks

Earth said:

What it fixes...
  • Windows Firewall

This tool is only needed if the named default Windows security components are damaged, disabled or just not working correctly.

It will not fix third-party security products, so if one or more of the listed components needs to be fixed then run the tool, if not then the tool is not needed. The tool shouldn't conflict with third-party security products but to be on the safe side, it might be best to disabled all temporary just to run the tool.

jollyholly

Jul 19, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I have turned on UAC. What is DEP protection? How do I turn that on?

I tried running the fix-it yesterday, but it got stuck at the Resolving problems stage. And when I try to update windows, it does not complete the update. What should I do now?

Littlebits said:
jollyholly said:
Hello,

Thanks

Earth said:

What it fixes...
  • Windows Firewall

This tool is only needed if the named default Windows security components are damaged, disabled or just not working correctly.

It will not fix third-party security products, so if one or more of the listed components needs to be fixed then run the tool, if not then the tool is not needed. The tool shouldn't conflict with third-party security products but to be on the safe side, it might be best to disabled all temporary just to run the tool.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is explained here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

DEP is enabled by default To change settings:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy (default).
Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy, and then click Add to add the programs that you do not want to use the DEP feature.
4. Click OK two times.
5. Reboot your system.

g2IbwKs.png

If for some reason the options are grayed out or it is disabled.

Run Windows Security Diagnostics Fix It to enable it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.