JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
Yesterday Windows update (KB3213986) fails and today I try again but it fails too.
Is it a known issue or a problem on my PC.
I think that there is a problem on my PC because this KB installed without problem on my other PCs.
Thanks
WU1.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Upvote 0

John Connor

Jan 14, 2017
Hi,

If your Windows 10 update KB3213986 and KB3210721 fails to download, you can try these tricks and see if they work.

• Stop antivirus and VPN/Proxy software before the update.
  • You have to wait for the update to install, sometimes it takes hours.
  • If you see Windows update error code, you can try recently released ‘Fix Windows Update errors‘ tool by Microsoft to fix this problem.
  • Type ‘Troubleshooting’ in the search. Now select View All in left side panel. Select‘Windows Update’ at the end of the open window. Run the troubleshooting. Restart your and try to update again.
  • If cumulative updates KB3213986 and KB3210721 are stuck during download or fails to install, it might be that something went wrong with the file itself. Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download a fresh. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything within the folder, but do not delete the folder itself. To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files. Restart and download updates again.
  • If you are still unable to download update KB3213986 and KB3210721 than try the links posted below and download your update manually. This will eliminate most of the errors with the update. All links are from Microsoft.
Download update KB3213986 Build 14393.693 Offline installers

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Won't that be a risk everytime updates need to be installed?
Win updater has serious problems since long. Sometimes you need to troubleshoot long and sometimes, as you mentioned, manual downloads are needed :(
Sure it will, just don't do any surfing while updating.
He will eventually need to figure out which of his security software that he uses in his config
is causing the issue.
But for now, to get the update to install, it would be wise to disable them all and see if thats the right direction.
If it still fails he will know it's not his security config, and start looking elsewhere.

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Sure it will, just don't do any surfing while updating.
He will eventually need to figure out which of his security software that he uses in his config
is causing the issue.
But for now, to get the update to install, it would be wise to disable them all and see if thats the right direction.
Thanks @Parsh
Thanks @_CyberGhosT_ (I like your cat:))
Is it enough if I disable Avast Internet Security and HitmanPro.Alert only before restarting my PC ?
Because a restart is needed to install KB3213986.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks @Parsh
Thanks @_CyberGhosT_ (I like your cat:))
Is it enough if I disable Avast Internet Security and HitmanPro.Alert only before restarting my PC ?
Because a restart is needed to install KB3213986.
Yes, try it, and disable them from the Start Up menu too so that you know they are not interfearing
with the installation. You can re-enable them after, if it still fails you will know that they are not the culprit.

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
JB, what error code are you getting ?
Hi @_CyberGhosT_
No error code, only when I restart for installing, after a long time to shutdown ("Wait Windows is installing the update") and when the PC restarts : "The installation was not completed, wait the changes are cancelled".
And on parameters: "The installation fails".
NB: I'm not sure of the exact words.

Upvote 0

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
If you've actually downloaded the update Ive found running this command in the command prompt (admin mode) to solve getting a difficult windows update to install:

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\c4a1b8896ce9fbfea96c1ee6890d52a5\windows10.0-kb3122947-x64.cab

Where c4a1b8896ce9fbfea96c1ee6890d52a5\windows10.0-kb3122947-x64.cab is the name of the update file.

You run at your own risk, though Ive never had any problem doing it this way

Upvote 0

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Well try it the way @_CyberGhosT_ mentioned. If you're skeptical about the device protection, I'll recommend you prepare a Bootable USB rescue disc of Bitdefender. You can run it anytime when you feel your system is compromised. Most effective removal method!

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Won't that be a risk everytime updates need to be installed?
Win updater has serious problems since long. Sometimes you need to troubleshoot long and sometimes, as you mentioned, manual downloads are needed :(
Absolutely not. Automatic updates from Windows Update (Microsoft servers) are safe to install, without the risk of malware. Downloading updates from your security software or from the web, always impose some risks.

Upvote 0

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Absolutely not. Automatic updates from Windows Update (Microsoft servers) are safe to install, without the risk of malware. Downloading updates from your security software or from the web, always impose some risks.
In the simple fashion, disabling antivirus protection shouldn't invite any trouble while installing windows updates if you're doing nothing risky alongside. Yet we can't ignore the wildly evolving malware species that use wickedly smart ways and timings to inject themselves. There's always a little space for fear in mind.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's always a little space for fear in mind.
True, but if you solely are to disable your security software for a Windows Updates, then you can turn it back on afterwards. Third-party security allow their protection to be disabled for x number of minutes before being re-enabled automatically. If you or another entity does disable Windows Defender on Windows 10, you'll receive a toast notification warning the user of the recent changes.

On-topic @JB007

I found this:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...d-kb-3210721-have-multi-monitor-problems.html
Windows 10 build 14393.693 released for all PC and Mobile users • /r/Windows10
Changelog: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4009938/january-10-2017-kb3213986-os-build-14393-693

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.