Troubleshoot Windows won't start

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
Hi everyone, I don't frequent a lot of forums so i apologize for any blunders in advance. I saw a member helping out several people having this same issue I am having. I can't get windows 7 to start. I can get to startup repair/system recovery options but not to safe mode. Here is a rundown of the history to best i can recall.

The computer is a new to me, a used M92p Lenovo SFF with a Quadro 410 graphics card installed. I am trying to upgrade my old trading computer to trade Forex on Multiple screens.

I had the graphics and wifi card installed, and computer restored to original then cleaned of any stuff not needed.

Had some minor issues installing programs for trading but it ended up all working fine. Has worked for couple weeks. Only running two screens while waiting for a 5m DP to HDMI cable.

Then Malwarebytes stopped opening, no chameleon file found, would not uninstall, tried downloading latest version, still would not open or uninstall.

Someone else with this issue fixed it by downloading Superantispyware and running a scan. I did this got 893 problems. I fixed them and then was able to uninstall Malwarebytes and reinstall it. Updated it, did a scan everything OK. Also I use Microsoft security essentials.

I fixed the Malwarebytes issue, apparently, then moved on to setting up my 3rd monitor, got two going then found out had to change to igb in bios and enabled multiple displays in there also and that was all i touched in bios. Hit F10 and here I am. Got hardware or software changes preventing startup, i believe was the error.

I created a restore point, I believe before I did any changes and tried to restore to that point with no success.

I ran Farbar scan off a removable disk and got the results on the usb stick.

It is about as far as I can get with my computer abilities, hoping someone here can help further.

Thank's

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Are you sure that you got hit by malware?
Windows not starting up is more likely to be caused by other, more mundane problems.
For instance, your hard disk might have errors. You should be able to run chkdsk from Windows recovery options, you might have to open the command prompt to run it: chkdsk /f C:

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
Are you sure that you got hit by malware?
Windows not starting up is more likely to be caused by other, more mundane problems.
For instance, your hard disk might have errors. You should be able to run chkdsk from Windows recovery options, you might have to open the command prompt to run it: chkdsk /f C:

Not sure if it was malware, I just guessed cause of the malwarebytes malfunction and the 800 + threats found by superantispyware looked bad. I'm going to try chkdsk in a bit and see what happens.

Thank's

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I would also try this:
  1. Insert the Windows CD (or mount an ISO)
  2. Run cmd (WIN key + R and type cmd)
  3. enter this command: sfc /scannow
  4. Wait for it to finish
  5. If it finds nothing or after fixing stuff you get the same results, upgrade the current windows to the same windows version you have; with the same ISO or disc, just run the installer and choose upgrade when asked

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
Do you have a bios "reset to defaults" option? Alternately I found simply by entering bios and then "save and exit" (without making changes) got me through.

Or can you boot from Windows "Last Good Configuration" setting?
Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 Help Forums

I believe i saw reset to defaults in bios.
When I boot from last good configuration is anything lost? It took me several days to transfer all my old computer stuff to the new one. That is my biggest fear when doing these fixes as I do not understand which ones will eliminate all my work. I did restore back to last night before I played in bios, no change.

Thank's

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
This is just to (almost) make sure you have no malware interfering with the OS:
  1. Uninstall all third party security app you may have, specially the ones with realtime protection (also disable WIndows Defender realtime protection)
  2. Restart
  3. Download "Combofix" from here: ComboFix Download
  4. Save the executable directly to the root of your windows partition and run with with administrator privileges
  5. Let it run, clean or fix stuff it finds (it may even restart your PC) and continue automatically the fixing it does after the restart
  6. Reinstall all your security apps you use normaly
  7. Verify if your problem still persists
I used Combofix many times to save many Windows 7 PCs from a certain death :)

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
Have you tried...
  • Undoing the changes made in BIOS?
  • Downloading a Rescue Disc (.ISO)?
Good luck!
The changes I made in BIOS never held, when I went to change them back they were the original settings. I went in re selected them to original again and F10 to save just to be sure.
Which rescue disc is best?

Thank's

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
This is just to (almost) make sure you have no malware interfering with the OS:
  1. Uninstall all third party security app you may have, specially the ones with realtime protection (also disable WIndows Defender realtime protection)
  2. Restart
  3. Download "Combofix" from here: ComboFix Download
  4. Save the executable directly to the root of your windows partition and run with with administrator privileges
  5. Let it run, clean or fix stuff it finds (it may even restart your PC) and continue automatically the fixing it does after the restart
  6. Reinstall all your security apps you use normaly
  7. Verify if your problem still persists
I used Combofix many times to save many Windows 7 PCs from a certain death :)

Thank's Amelith,

How do I disable my security apps? I can't get much up other than system recovery options and startup repair and the cmd prmpt, notepad. I can't get safemode to work.

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Thank's Amelith,

How do I disable my security apps? I can't get much up other than system recovery options and startup repair and the cmd prmpt, notepad. I can't get safemode to work.

By security apps i mean antivirus software with realtime protection. This step is needed because many (or most) of them will detect Combofix as malware and will interfere with it. This is a false positive. Combofix is everything BUT malware, it is a tool to fix your PC.
  1. You could just simply try to disable the realtime protection of your antivirus ()AV and hope it won't get blocked; in this case Combofix will alert you that you have an AV app that is running and might interfere with it
  2. If it gets stopped by an AV, uninstall the AV and run Combofix again; please note that if the AV interferes at all with Combofix, it might leave behind some folders it creates and possibly will fail to run next time; the best option is to first uninstall the AV, run Combofix, then reinstall the AV

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
If you are suspicious of any malicious activity on your computer, you can receive Malware Removal Assistance (click the link). Out Malware Removal Expert, if identified, help you remove any malware from your system and give you the all-clear.

Heh, i just realised that the authorized group of this thread is also using Combofix (and also has a warning about it). Nice :) Few people know about the power of Combofix (from this end of the world).

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
By security apps i mean antivirus software with realtime protection. This step is needed because many (or most) of them will detect Combofix as malware and will interfere with it. This is a false positive. Combofix is everything BUT malware, it is a tool to fix your PC.
  1. You could just simply try to disable the realtime protection of your antivirus ()AV and hope it won't get blocked; in this case Combofix will alert you that you have an AV app that is running and might interfere with it
  2. If it gets stopped by an AV, uninstall the AV and run Combofix again; please note that if the AV interferes at all with Combofix, it might leave behind some folders it creates and possibly will fail to run next time; the best option is to first uninstall the AV, run Combofix, then reinstall the AV
I don't know how to uninstall or disable my AV from the system recovery options page and Combofix would have to be used from a removable disk as I cannot get internet either. Pretty limited to what that computer can do now.
Thank's

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Heh, i just realised that the authorized group of this thread is also using Combofix (and also has a warning about it). Nice :) Few people know about the power of Combofix (from this end of the world).
Authorised Group?
"ComboFix: Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper."

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Authorised Group?
"ComboFix: Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper."

Yes, the ones authorized to offer help in the "malware removal assistance" thread.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Not sure if it was malware, I just guessed cause of the malwarebytes malfunction and the 800 + threats found by superantispyware looked bad. I'm going to try chkdsk in a bit and see what happens.

Thank's
Hey, that 800+ threats is just to scare you and wow you into buying their product. It is likely that not even a single one of those "threats" is true malware. Quite likely adware, and PUPs, but not the real thing.

Most modern malware is not like the old pranks that hackers used to play on us. Nowadays, malware usually leaves your system running, so that the attackers can:
1 exort money from you by means of various threats
2 use your computer in a botnet, to spam the rest of the world
3 steal the login credentials to your banking site

People here gave you lots of things to try.
And there is always the sad possibility that your hard disk is dying. This causes all sorts of errors. Remember that hard disks are mortal.
If you can, back up your personal data to a different media before it is too late. There are various bootable CDs that can help you do this.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
If you are suspicious of any malicious activity on your computer, you can receive Malware Removal Assistance (click the link).

Our Malware Removal Expert, if identified, will help you remove any malware from your system and give you the all-clear. I only recommend following instructions from @TwinHeadedEagle at this moment in time.

Thank's Spawn, I have no idea what has happened. The computer I am posting from is quite Identical to the problem one. It has been good so I stuck with the same stuff. What would be the symptoms of malicious activity? I did see MBAM consuming a lot of data near the night I noticed MBAM would not open. Thought it was an update, but updates are manual on the free edition right?? Malwarebytes when contacted about it not working replied "we are receiving high volume of inquiries, please be patient". I still have not heard back.

Upvote 0

PiP 93

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 2, 2017
Hey, that 800+ threats is just to scare you and wow you into buying their product. It is likely that not even a single one of those "threats" is true malware. Quite likely adware, and PUPs, but not the real thing.

Most modern malware is not like the old pranks that hackers used to play on us. Nowadays, malware usually leaves your system running, so that the attackers can:
1 exort money from you by means of various threats
2 use your computer in a botnet, to spam the rest of the world
3 steal the login credentials to your banking site

People here gave you lots of things to try.
And there is always the sad possibility that your hard disk is dying. This causes all sorts of errors. Remember that hard disks are mortal.
If you can, back up your personal data to a different media before it is too late. There are various bootable CDs that can help you do this.

I was under that impression too, that most newer malware wanted your computer running for there profit, not to make the computer repair guy money. I better back it up next before I proceed any more. Any preferences of bootable CD's?
Thank's shmu26

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.