Windscribe & Censorship

Thread author
Windscribe VPN has an OPTIONAL feature called R.O.B.E.R.T which is basically an adblocking/malware filter. You can read more on it here: Windscribe

ROBERT 2.0 was just released and features more filters. One of these filters being for "fake news." It seems that by enabling this filter, Windscribe blocks conservative news websites while leaving left leaning websites alone.

Liberal
Salon: Allowed
Buzzfeed: Allowed
HuffingtonPost: Allowed
TheHill: Allowed

Conservative
New York Post: Allowed
Breitbart: Blocked
The Blaze: Blocked
DailyCaller: Blocked
InfoWars: Blocked
RedState: Blocked

Is it just me, or is this a form of censorship? Why is a VPN provider which is used to circumvent censorship censoring right leaning websites? Try if for yourself if you do not believe me.

Whether you're liberal or a conservative, this filter/list is completely subjective and sets a bad precedent going forward. I decided to switch VPN providers as I refuse to use a service that advocates any type of censorship. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
Have you contacted them about it?
Posted a thread on their subreddit.

This was one of the developers responses.
0RzZ8XR.png

Only reaffirms my decision to switch VPN's.

n0k0m3

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2017
ROBERT is totally optional, and you can disable/enable the list on your own, so this is not censorship but just "giving you the option to censor yourself".

So please mind your words when talking about censorship. The way you said in your post gives bad connotation and can affect Windscribe's reputation.

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Look frankly, I do think the news sources they blocked intensify hate, they are in some ways hidden notions of Fascism - now you have not witnessed Fascism, and Americans have not witnessed what Europeans have: Wars, and the failure and DANGERS of populists like Mussolini, Trump, Hitler ETC. This is why many European countries don't want to ahve anything to do with this stuff, even some of the European right governments are more sane compared to the US. The US and Trump have fallen to the low of the Hungarian government (not Hungarian people I said Hungarian government)

However, I also do believe that the so called 'Left' media is full of #####. Please note that I am not against valuable Left OR right media outlets, but many of these American newsoutlets are pure bullshit, American mass media is a form of brain whacking waco bs. If I were you I would start by looking into multiple ACADEMIC texts slowly over time to see what you can find out about this ##### that's happening in the world. I would also encourage channels like France24 Live, Al Jazeera, etc; these have slightly less bullshit, and don't dumb down the brain as much, they have various programs and bring in various speakers who have some more credibility IN GENERAL

My conclusion and ultimate piece of advice I hope you take into consideration: Don't let something like this switch your decision... I guess if it is giving your nervousness or anxiety I mean change it lol, don't put up with it...

Last edited:

Thread author
ROBERT is totally optional, and you can disable/enable the list on your own, so this is not censorship but just "giving you the option to censor yourself".

So please mind your words when talking about censorship. The way you said in your post gives bad connotation and can affect Windscribe's reputation.
Why should I care about Windscibe’s reputation? I purchased a subscription from Windscibe and have every right to criticize them.

I realize the feature is completely optional. However, the fact that the feature exists is crossing the line for me. VPN’s are used to circumvent censorship. How can you offer a feature that promises to block “fake news” and instead block conservative media. Whether or not you agree with right leaning views, censoring any side is wrong.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Hi all.
its an "optional" , I do't think thats a bad feature , its amazing , you can block hate speech website also :)
so for "fake news" yup you are right .
I find WindScribe that they are very generous so if you have any problem, I sure that they will accepted all ideas with open arms.
windscribe
:cool:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
There's a big difference between sources that report fake news and sources that have a mixed factual reporting record. Confusing the two is prevalent nowadays and whomever curates the list is simply guilty of this. I certainly wouldn't call it censorship.

Thread author
I still don't know who database they use to block ads, malware, and tracker.
I’d be interested to know this as well.

Hi all.
its an "optional" , I do't think thats a bad feature , its amazing , you can block hate speech website also :)
so for "fake news" yup you are right .
I find WindScribe that they are very generous so if you have any problem, I sure that they will accepted all ideas with open arms.
windscribe
:cool:
Don’t get me wrong, the feature is great. However, if someone enables the “Fake News” filter, they’re being barred from conservative news because it’s considered “fake.” It’s okay to disagree with conservative ideals, but to label it as fake and then block it is wrong.

I’ve already received a reply from a developer. Extremely unprofessional, but its Windscribe; which calls itself a “meme” VPN. Can’t expect much I guess.

Calling InfoWars "fake news", how dare they? LOL..

I'd be ticked if one of the devs said that to me though, I hear you there.
I understand that InfoWars is not a great source for news, but the point was that the filter is one sided. Buzzfeed is considered real news? Give me break.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I understand that InfoWars is not a great source for news, but the point was that the filter is one sided. Buzzfeed is considered real news? Give me break.
I don't even know what Buzzfeed is but I get your point

Reactions: 37507

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
There's a big difference between sources that report fake news and sources that have a mixed factual reporting record. Confusing the two is prevalent nowadays and whomever curates the list is simply guilty of this. I certainly wouldn't call it censorship.
Isn't the difference just the density of fake news?

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
And why are there less neutral news than extreme news in what seems to form a bimodal distribution?
The middle of a bimodal distribution.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Isn't the difference just the density of fake news?
Fake news is the deliberate attempt to publish disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence.
A mixed reporting record refers to publications that do report well sourced, factual information but also report poorly sourced, inaccurate information from time to time.

And why are there less neutral news than extreme news?
Because neutrality conveys a lack of bias, which is absolutely impossible because of the human element. Plus with populism on the rise new publications (both left and right) see an opportunity to cash-in on the politically disenfranchised masses.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.