Windscribe VPN Security Breach

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I posted this on r/windscribe and so far 3 comments don't trust this article and said this article is just an advertise for express and nord vpn and other vpn.
I don't know anything about RestorePrivacy, so maybe they are paid to promote competing VPNs, or maybe they're not. 🤷‍♂️
Clearly the article has an anti-Windscribe slant based off the author's opinion of the company and its product, but if they don't trust article they can go read Windscribe's own blog post on the matter instead, which lays out the exact same information.

how do you fully uninstall vpn?
Any third-party uninstaller that deletes leftover program files should do.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
revo free fine too?
I dont know i would go with Hibit

If you want the compare so the link

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm undecided whether to ditch them (again) or not. While it is very concerning that they had some servers that were no encrypted, on the other hand I can only presume that something like this won't happen again. Surely after an incident like this getting attention, they will take security more seriously.

While I do sometimes have issues connecting to a server, which I believe is due to my security software, once connected I get very good speeds with Windscribe. I also like that they VPN client's CPU remains at zero when there is network traffic, unlike a lot of other VPNs. Aside from connection issues, Windscribe works very well for me. A while back I had some issues with a single app when using Windscribe. Their customer support was terrible and in the end I switched to another VPN. However, I switched back a few months ago and have been happy this time around.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
The real issue with VPNs imo is trust, reliabilility such as tech support plus server uptime, and last but not least, cost. Then if you dig deeper is the question of where they are based in terms of jurisdiction, and whether they keep any or no logs. Unfortunately, we only have reviews, trusted audits and word of mouth by users such as those here on MT and/or Wilders.

If you feel comfortable with Windscribe continue using them. However, the fact that they discovered an unencrypted server seizure almost a year later, and only now are beginning to overhaul their security structure because of it, leaves me with more questions than answers about how serious they take security.

I too have a license from some time ago for Windscribe, and was considering using them again because they implemented Wireguard but I think that license will go back in the draw under the circumstances for now, while I consider using another service.

Bottom line with VPNS caveat emptor!

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I'm undecided whether to ditch them (again) or not. While it is very concerning that they had some servers that were no encrypted, on the other hand I can only presume that something like this won't happen again. Surely after an incident like this getting attention, they will take security more seriously.

While I do sometimes have issues connecting to a server, which I believe is due to my security software, once connected I get very good speeds with Windscribe. I also like that they VPN client's CPU remains at zero when there is network traffic, unlike a lot of other VPNs. Aside from connection issues, Windscribe works very well for me. A while back I had some issues with a single app when using Windscribe. Their customer support was terrible and in the end I switched to another VPN. However, I switched back a few months ago and have been happy this time around.
Never use VPN to protect your privacy, just use tor-browser. VPN are only good for torrenting, nothing else. You will never know what's going on with a third party server, whether its encrypted or not you are not going to know at all. You can only trust what the provider is saying, there is no other option except to trust. So avoid "trusting" use only what you actually "know".

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
While it is very concerning that they had some servers that were no encrypted, on the other hand I can only presume that something like this won't happen again. Surely after an incident like this getting attention, they will take security more seriously.
You're probably right, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Obviously Windscribe isn't at fault for the seizure itself, but as the article states there's been other VPN providers who have had their servers seized and because they were configured correctly no user data could be extracted.
It just reeks of negligence and may culminate in innocent people being unjustifiably surveilled.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Maybe a connection could be with the fact they offered a lot of free VPN traffic to the users and we all know that the payment for this is the traffic of such users. I cannot imagine that they didn't know about the unencrypted servers, they simply left it like that and now blame the hosting provider. What is disappointing is that the Pro users that were using such servers were also affected. This has no excuse to me. Also, some decryption keys left unsecured led to further questioning this occurrence. They still remain very popular among the users worldwide.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Let's face it that is very difficult to believe the VPN providers according to what they say and sometimes a risk is inherent. The various proofs of their statements are rare and when something happens we'll find out the facts hidden under the hood. 😊

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I cannot imagine that they didn't know about the unencrypted servers, they simply left it like that and now blame the hosting provider.
Technically they're only blaming the hosting provider for not informing them of the seizure, not about the unencrypted servers. Which is fair complaint if the hosting provider was allowed to do so but didn't, but it's likely they were served a gag order which forbid them from informing Windscribe of the seizure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.