Windscribe VPN Security Breach

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It might sound weird, but I'll stick with Windscribe. They are very generous regarding free users (much more traffic and locations than competitors).

I'm using Windscribe just to access geoblocked content, nothing else. So I don't see particular reason why I should stop using it. For occassional use it's still great. It's not like I'm connected 24/7 to VPN.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Update. They switched to new server software real quick:

As a response to the feedback and pressure due to this event they will make WireGuard their primary protocol starting Fall 2021 and have an external audit to approve the changes. We will see.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Being reactive to a breach is not the same as being proactive to prevent a breach.

I think part of the problem is the operative words in their blog while "engaging with their provider" they were informed about the server seizure. In other words, it seems that they may not own some of their servers, and contract with third parties for operation.

Imo, a weak link in a "security" operation may be when you contract with third parties who may not consider security and/or communication as seriously as you.

Whether Windscribe overcomes this "breach" to rebuild our trust is to be seen. Stay tuned!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Being reactive to a breach is not the same as being proactive to prevent a breach.

I think part of the problem is the operative words in their blog while "engaging with their provider" they were informed about the server seizure. In other words, it seems that they may not own some of their servers, and contract with third parties for operation.

Imo, a weak link in a "security" operation may be when you contract with third parties who may not consider security and/or communication as seriously as you.

Whether Windscribe overcomes this "breach" to rebuild our trust is to be seen. Stay tuned!
I don’t think they own any of their servers. That’s pretty much all consumer VPNs. Just reselling bandwidth of some infrastructure provider.

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
VPNs protect only traffic based in protocol;
antiloggers (comodo internet security, lmt antimalware, keyscrambler, spyshelter, zemana...) protect against leak data in level of application...

• Sad
Reactions: codswollip and Nevi

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
VPNs protect only traffic based in protocol;
antiloggers (comodo internet security, lmt antimalware, keyscrambler, spyshelter, zemana...) protect against leak data in level of application...
Please try not to post the same comment in every thread. Antiloggers is not the topic being discussed here. Post this type of comment in threads where it makes sense.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Has there been any VPN provider who has not been hacked or had a security breach ?
No. Tbh there are only two types: The ones who admit having a breach and the ones who lie about never being hacked. But Windscribe was in the 2nd category until recently. I do not like their overly confident attitude. Windscribe was also arguing against WireGuard saying that all protocols are equally safe. I use Windscribe but I don't like their leadership's attitude towards users. They think they know better (and maybe they do), but it's annoying that their userbase has to push them to adopt new standards and security practices constantly.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
No. Tbh there are only two types: The ones who admit having a breach and the ones who lie about never being hacked. But Windscribe was in the 2nd category until recently. I do not like their overly confident attitude. Windscribe was also arguing against WireGuard saying that all protocols are equally safe. I use Windscribe but I don't like their leadership's attitude towards users. They think they know better (and maybe they do), but it's annoying that their userbase has to push them to adopt new standards and security practices constantly.
will you still use windscribe?

Update. They switched to new server software real quick:

As a response to the feedback and pressure due to this event they will make WireGuard their primary protocol starting Fall 2021 and have an external audit to approve the changes. We will see.
so it is safe to use windscribe now?

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
On June 24th 2021 our monitoring systems alerted us that two servers in Ukraine had gone offline. When engaging with our provider for those servers, we were informed that the two servers had been seized as part of an investigation of activity that occurred 12 months prior. Windscribe VPN Security Breach: Servers and Private Key Seized | RestorePrivacy
Maybe I understand it wrong but they found out after 12 month that 2 servers are offline? That wouldn't inspire my trust in the monitoring systems used.... :D

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I'll keep using it as I get 60 gb a month free, I only maybe use it once or twice a week anyways. I don't think we'll ever know the whole story here so unless something comes out that confirms that using Windscribe is a serious threat then I'm not going to worry about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.