Video WinPatrol- A Useful Application

D

Deleted member 178

Useful? sure, necessary? Not so sure :D

Used it long time ago when i was a noob :D , but not anymore. Good for realtime registry/startup monitoring.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cruelsister

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Without a doubt not necessary as there are a number of ways to do what WP does. But Scotty makes this work more more efficient, and none of the other methods Bark.

(UpNorth- Thanks for the HD suggestion that you previously made. I'm a video novice and didn't even realize it was available!)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, @cruelsister .
Did the worms in your tests have the capability of self-protection?
I mean, would these worms try to prevent the user from deleting the corresponding startup items?
If these worms do not have self-protection, maybe we can delete their startup items by simply using msconfig or ccleaner...
On the other hand, if the worms DO have self-protection while winpatrol can still remove the their startup items, then I agree that winpatrol is really useful.:)

cruelsister

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sword- Excellent point. The worm that was used just spawned in one location. For more complex malware (spawning in arbitrary locations) only a manual search and eradication procedure would be effective. But still, WP would have alerted to the problem.