Battle WinRar or 7Zip? What's your favourite?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Bandizip ads blocked via any Firewall looks like below:
View attachment 238718
For some reason I don't see the buy text on mine. Anyway, from where do you downloaded the portable version? I see quite a few portable versions on different sites but not sure which one should I use :unsure: I'm new to Bandizip.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Archive file management softwares is also vulnerable:

I recommend MT users who rely on an Anti-Exploit like Malwarebytes to check if in their OS and software version if 7zip is really under Anti-Exploit protection:

In the 2 images under Bandizip with injected mbae.dll and 7zip which has no mbae.dll:

Bandizip:

View attachment 233963

7Zip:

View attachment 233964

Moreover, it is not possible to add 7zip to the Shields list because the software is already included in the list:

View attachment 233965

In my pc, therefore, even if I wanted, I could not use 7-Zip.

P.S. Even testing with the Exploit Test Tool (HP) renamed as 7zip shows that there is no protection against Exploits.

Please check in your OS and Malwarebytes software version.
You don't need an exploit to abuse a local 7zip installation ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
For some reason I don't see the buy text on mine. Anyway, from where do you downloaded the portable version? I see quite a few portable versions on different sites but not sure which one should I use :unsure: I'm new to Bandizip.
Downloading directly from Homepage:

bandi.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
AFAIK non WD users don't need MOTW since 3rd party antiviruses are smart enough to scan all files instead of the WD approach that needs MOTW to perform an useful static scan.
It's not related to WD's static scan. The static scan happens anyway. It's related to SmartScreen and can be helpful for many users regardless of the AV specially for exe files as it blocks unknown files by default.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks @silversurfer
And Bandizip is also "Not vulnerable" ?
Sorry for causing misunderstanding:
This report should only more explain what is meant by “Mark of the Web”
The list of "archive extractors" isn't comparable to today, this report is from 2016!

As long as you always updating Bandizip it won't be vulnerable, except theoretical case of zero-day vulnerability will be discovered by researchers may be one day in the future, then Bandizip will be patched by Bandisoft as soon as possible...

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Still using 7-zip. But i am thinking to use peazip. Is anybody here using peazip? How is its encryption and compression compared to 7-Zip?

Reactions: JB007

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Still using 7-zip. But i am thinking to use peazip. Is anybody here using peazip? How is its encryption and compression compared to 7-Zip?
I use PeaZip portable to create archives, though because it still doesn't use ASLR or CFG, I don't use it to open unknown files. I like its interface and file tools, such as the secure shredder, but 7-Zip, which finally added ASLR, is marginally more secure for opening unknown 7z files. I open .zip files with the built-in MS tool to preserve MOTW. I no longer use Bandizip because of my inherent opposition to crippleware.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.