Deprecated WiseVector Free AI Driven Security

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Ming33

Oct 16, 2021
I love the way WVSX will detect such malware. Aside from the easy part in detecting the initial malware, if allowed to drop and then run, one will see a detection of the malicious dll as well as a separate detection of the spawned legitimate application that calls up the nasty dll.
I had a look at wisevector stopx…. Has anyone analysed the coding to ensure it does not call home? I see the “head office” is in China… With so much malware coming out of China you would think it is just a matter of time before the powers to be hijacks this software as they have with others. Is this software safe to use?

Reactions: Andrew999 and Nevi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I had a look at wisevector stopx…. Has anyone analysed the coding to ensure it does not call home? I see the “head office” is in China… With so much malware coming out of China you would think it is just a matter of time before the powers to be hijacks this software as they have with others. Is this software safe to use?
Why wouldn't it be safe to use? I use two Chinese antiviruses on my Chinese laptop, which gets its internet from a Chinese router, and have zero privacy concerns.

I don't think it's reasonable to not trust software just because of the country it comes from. Have you got any actual examples of Chinese software that has been hijacked?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Why wouldn't it be safe to use? I use two Chinese antiviruses on my Chinese laptop, which gets its internet from a Chinese router, and have zero privacy concerns.

I don't think it's reasonable to not trust software just because of the country it comes from. Have you got any actual examples of Chinese software that has been hijacked?
Everything from the CPU and GPU in your PC or laptop, the hardware in your phone almost all electronic devices your TV, monitors even the ECU in your car.

All made in china. More importantly all the firmware (software) for these devices are programmed in China.

Ming33

Oct 16, 2021

Yes , Huawei. However some family members do use Huawei routers but that was not the question.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
It does indeed "call home" in order to stay on top of current threats, but network connectivity by WV can be disabled either within the application itself or externally with a firewall. Personally I see much more downside in doing so (the bulk of my testing was done with the Network disconnected) as I have seen no evidence of WV identifying the user, looting data, packaging this data and sending it out to points unknown. But although the skeptical may say that say that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (argumentum ad ignorantiam).

On the other hand, as I, nor anyone other than the WVSX staff, are coding the product, why believe that this or any application is safe to use and will always be (argumentum ad verecundiam)?

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Hi,
This is our privacy policy: WiseVector StopX Privacy Policy. Hope it can help you to calm your worried mind...:)

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Right now, given the state of things, I'd be a lot more concerned about American made software being used by our government to spy than Chinese,, Russian, or any other. I've been running WiseVector almost since the beginning, including v3.01 beta and now back to v2.73 and have seen nothing to cause suspicion.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I have a Chinese router and wifi-card, but decided to stop buying stuff from companies located in countries with questionable human rights policy. I won't be watching next worldcup soccer for same reason.

Privacy is on the pyramid of 'virtue inconveniences' of way lesser importance to me than abuse of human, labor or woman's and children's rights. The insight to put my money where my mouth is came late (I drew the line at 61), but better late than never.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ming33

Oct 16, 2021
It does indeed "call home" in order to stay on top of current threats, but network connectivity by WV can be disabled either within the application itself or externally with a firewall. Personally I see much more downside in doing so (the bulk of my testing was done with the Network disconnected) as I have seen no evidence of WV identifying the user, looting data, packaging this data and sending it out to points unknown. But although the skeptical may say that say that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (argumentum ad ignorantiam).

On the other hand, as I, nor anyone other than the WVSX staff, are coding the product, why believe that this or any application is safe to use and will always be (argumentum ad verecundiam)?
Thank you for such a logical explanation (as always) CruelSister and that the question was understood and answered in a technical way which I can live with . ( Bona Fide) . I have downloaded WiseVector on “grandma’s pc with the CF cruel setup and will run it together and thank you to the WiseVector Team that made a free version available and that the software is “Fair Dinkum”

Hi,
This is our privacy policy: WiseVector StopX Privacy Policy. Hope it can help you to calm your worried mind...:)
Thanks for creating the a free version @WiseVector!

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Right now, given the state of things, I'd be a lot more concerned about American made software being used by our government to spy than Chinese,, Russian, or any other. I've been running WiseVector almost since the beginning, including v3.01 beta and now back to v2.73 and have seen nothing to cause suspicion.
wise vector isn’t big enough for the government to care yet anyway if you care about it don’t use windows altogether

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Pair it with free KSC ? Works great together
I have it and it works well with SEP which seems to use a different FW.

Overkill even with WVSX 2 (without FW + HIPS)... use WVSX as on demand/second opinion scanner...

Its an antimalware and most of us prefer it be kept that way so our security options remain flexible. If it has to be registered as an AV with the Windows Security Center as a few users want, the option to run it alongside another AV, whether its Windows Defender or a third party AV, disappears.

OK @WiseVector
Your recommandations are for what combo for best performance; but what are your recommandations for best protection ?

I have it running alongside KFA, SEP and OSA. That should lock down my PC for good.

Hi Why are people running other av's when this one(Wisevector) is very much sufficient. It is overkill to run 2 av's.

Its not an AV. Its an antimalware and taking it away would limit users' security options. If people want an AV with HIPS, there's ESET. Why mess up a proven formula?

Hi,

Firewall, NIDS, Manual Mode Hips and customized rules of Hips will be premium.

I think a case could made for keeping automatic HIPS and FW settings free for average users. For power users who like to tweak settings, making customizable settings premium is the way to go for them. That way everyone benefits from protection depending on what level is right for them.

Reactions: [correlate]

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Any news regarding release of paid version?

Microsoft has recently adjusted the driver signing mechanism. As a result of these changes, we can't sign our drivers in the Partner Center. This has delayed our new version by a month. If anyone is interested in Microsoft's new mechanism, please see: IMPORTANT: All Partners must reassociate their signing certificates!. There are many companies out there with the same problem.

This issue will be solved in 2-3 weeks and we will release the new version then. ;)

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
No doubt with the release of Windows 11. The good news is because the core is essentially Windows 10, that's lightened the burden on developers. They don't have to redo everything from scratch and have all their hard work wasted. Good thing there is backward compatibility.

Bad news? Some changes in the certification and things take longer.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I have it and it works well with SEP which seems to use a different FW.

Its an antimalware and most of us prefer it be kept that way so our security options remain flexible. If it has to be registered as an AV with the Windows Security Center as a few users want, the option to run it alongside another AV, whether its Windows Defender or a third party AV, disappears.

I have it running alongside KFA, SEP and OSA. That should lock down my PC for good.

Its not an AV. Its an antimalware and taking it away would limit users' security options. If people want an AV with HIPS, there's ESET. Why mess up a proven formula?

I think a case could made for keeping automatic HIPS and FW settings free for average users. For power users who like to tweak settings, making customizable settings premium is the way to go for them. That way everyone benefits from protection depending on what level is right for them.
Too much security products 😂

sartic

Level 3
Jun 5, 2020
I have few (hard) questions:

1. Why program use so much memory? This is too much for 2GB system example.

2. Sometimes I see high traffic on internet from this program. Is this program only 'cloud anti virus' ?

3. Is it also anti virus or anti malware? I am in IT bussiness for me everything is now malware or malicious program. Old style of virus was only one form of infected systems. I had on Atari ST boot virus I thought I had bad upgrade piggyback memory becuase problems then I read about cleaners for floppy disks :)

4. Do you recommend install with enabled Windows Defender. For me WD is also anti program. My programs are flag as generic and etc so most important is whitelisting easy.

5. What about price per endpoint? Server is equal to desktop? You will kill 'free' edition like 360 did with Essential version?

6. Is there cloud endpoint deploy solution?

7. I am really happy with 360 Total Security Bussiness edition for now. What is your opinion who is stronger 360 or WV and why? I like non bloatware. My bad is 360 is bloatty. But cloud system is clean and easy in contrast to Kaspersky & ESET I used before. In beginning Avast (yeah I know they buy AVG technology) had best cloud system for endpoints.

8. For XP-2012/R2 how long you will intend to support releases?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.