Woomera's Setup

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
among those i have in my startup / ready to use:
-Process Hacker (sometimes Process Explorer)
-virustotaluploader
-EMET
-Truecrypt
-DropMyRights
-Protectstar Data Shredder

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good configuration, in my opinion Bitdefender IS can leave it alone since its a suite and covers everything.

On some case Bitdefender IS and Emsisoft can go well so its ok.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
jamescv7 said:
Good configuration, in my opinion Bitdefender IS can leave it alone since its a suite and covers everything.

On some case Bitdefender IS and Emsisoft can go well so its ok.
TBH they didnt go well together at first, as you might know bitdefender doesnt like it at all when you have any other security related software installed even if they are not running or have any real-time scanners. in fact they wont even give you any support if they see anything else installed in the logs.
but after few restarts and figuring out the order in which installations should take place i made it all works just fine.

Nice setup! Have you got any backup options?
i have tried EASEUS free, Paragon free & advance free but i never liked any of them.i actually never needed to use a backup in my years of using windows. it was always either a new installation like when i bought a new pc/laptop or repairing using other methods.
anyway even though i never really liked other products im using built-in backup of win7. daily incremental's and once a month or every other, a system image.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
woomera said:
anyway even though i never really liked other products im using built-in backup of win7. daily incremental's and once a month or every other, a system image.

Great, if you keep doing the backups, you will be set to go :) Nice config.

ranget

Dec 8, 2011
i would add sandboxie Free for the Browser with Autodelete and Drop Admin Right

also if you can change from chrome to More secure Chromium Browser Like Comodo Dragon

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
ranget said:
i would add sandboxie Free for the Browser with Autodelete and Drop Admin Right

also if you can change from chrome to More secure Chromium Browser Like Comodo Dragon
-i uninstalled sandboxie after a month, too much performance sacrifice.
-i am using drop my rights though, forgot to mention it. using it to run chrome mainly.
-i have thought about chromium itself or comodo dragon but never seen any review or comparison, though i know that chromium doesnt have inside sandboxing like chrome does. not sure about comodo dragon.
-dont know what autodelete is but im guessing its history cleaner, if true i like to do that manually usualy ;)

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
muhammadariif said:
Nice config :) You have many add-ons, did it not interfere with the work crew?
i had the same addons installed in FF and no, in neither of them i had issues.its working just fine.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Looks good to me.......So you didn't encounter any problems while running BIS 2012 with EAM 6?I'm asking because I know that BIS and EAM both have very strong and sensitives behavior blockers....
How's this combo on the system impact?

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Jack said:
Looks good to me.......So you didn't encounter any problems while running BIS 2012 with EAM 6?I'm asking because I know that BIS and EAM both have very strong and sensitives behavior blockers....
How's this combo on the system impact?

at first successful try my big file transfer got really slow so i made these changes:
-added all the running process's of each suite in the other's exclusion list.
-set bitdefender to not scan network shares and also only scan new and changed files,archived files under 5 MB
-in bitdefender also disabled auto scanning of USB drives and cd/dvd (i always do it but manually)
-in EAM i set it to only scan based on extensions and only when being written or modified and disabled protection when user not logged in (i realized not setting these 2 in EAM can cause major performance issue when using with BIS). so with these i set EAM to do a full system scan once a week.

without these settings file transfer are a pain but this way all is good and speed is also fine specially after a whole system scan with both and let them run for a week.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Woomera, also i suggest you give Comodo Dragon a trial, I did recently and haven't looked back.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
NSG001 said:
Woomera, also i suggest you give Comodo Dragon a trial, I did recently and haven't looked back.

i always welcome new suggestions. gonna download it right now and gonna do a comparison myself :)

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
That's a very solid config. :) What do you think about adding EMET: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544

already using, im just so forgetful :) .gonna edit the list, also forgot to mention CCE which i scan with once a month.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 463

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
How are avg,eam,comodo and zemana getting along? any special config?

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Actually after few days AVG started to slow my computer alot (bitdefender didnt have this issue but eventually stopped working cause they cant make quality products) thats why i removed AVG AV and tried Bullguard but slowdows as well then tried Kaspersky AV and im impressed with how well this setup is doing. KAV didnt add any slowdowns at all and no warnings during setup while having comodo,eam,zemana installed. they have improved by ALOT.
already ordered a license and i will update my setup status ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Out of all the real-time protection which ONE product would you rely on the most?

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
oh thats easy to spot actually, with all the changes i made in the past 6 month one thing was always there! Emsisoft!
if i could only efford one i would choose EAM. the reason why i wanted to have another AV was simply because ive noticed in the past few month that the only samples eam miss's are detected by either kaspersky or bitdefender which is included in gdata and bullguard and f-secure.
bitdefender itself doesnt work with my other softwares and been a gdata user before, not that better than bitdefender so gave bullguard a try and rest on...

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Good config. Why not drop WOT. Very solid setup. Remove Zemena kaspersky's proactive defense is enough.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.