Work PC best setup?

Luke Douthwaite

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 25, 2017
Hi. I am looking for some help and advice regarding setting up our PC at home which is primarily for work. We have our own printing company from home. We use photoshop and illustrator a lot. I am requiring a solid set up and looking for peoples opinions on set ups? I am wanting to get a weekly backup of my system in case of emergencies and customers images and work. I have a NAS drive and thought it would be a good idea for the backup to go there? I have both Windows 7 and 10 so can flexible on which OS to use. I haven't kept up to date with software for a while now so am totally unaware as to whats in at the minute.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
So you need a good CPU and a graphics card that can perform a little rendering. How much money you wanna spend? 400€?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Sorry. I have the PC :) More to the software setting up.
Oh sorry! I didn't read your post attentive! You could run on your NAS samba and copy easily with a tool like FreeFileSync automatically and weekly the important stuff. What NAS do you have? Maybe there is a special program for your NAS that makes it easy.

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

Company workstation = only necessary soft needed and allowed to be ran = SRP.

If you have Windows 7 or 10 Pro/Ent. , then you have Applocker. , if not , you have Appguard.

If you are unfamiliar with SRP , a good anti-exe with restricted applications is a good second choice.

Luke Douthwaite

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 25, 2017
Company workstation = only necessary soft needed and allowed to be ran = SRP.

If you have Windows 7 or 10 Pro/Ent. , then you have Applocker. , if not , you have Appguard.

If you are unfamiliar with SRP , a good anti-exe with restricted applications is a good second choice.

The PC will still be used for general browsing, social media, videos, downloading and streaming at times

Luke Douthwaite

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 25, 2017
To update I am going to install Windows 10 on the machine. After I install photoshop, illustrator and my printer and cutting software I will be looking for all the needed security, AV, on demand scanners,firewall (if needed) the backup software, which is a essential to set up. Want to have all my work files on my C: but create a backup image so it saves weekly, or even every 4 days onto the NAS drive so I can grab a backup if needed. Wanting them to just overwrite one another too. I am likely to continue using Chrome so all the suggested addons to keep it secure would be a help.

D

Deleted member 178

The PC will still be used for general browsing, social media, videos, downloading and streaming at times
Will you try many softwares on this machine , or just install what you need then forget? that is an important point to clarify without setting a security strategy.

Reactions: Solarlynx

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
For backup: Check out Google Backup. Don't know much about it yet, but anything Google is always done well.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Luke Douthwaite

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 25, 2017
Will you try many softwares on this machine , or just install what you need then forget? that is an important point to clarify without setting a security strategy.

I could potentially try a few pieces of software on the machine, kids will use for homework's as well as the general browsing, streaming, social media etc. Will be installing Office as well and using Outlook for email client, team viewers, cutting software. Could end up having a variety of software installed so best to be secure :)

Cheers

Reactions: Solarlynx
D

Deleted member 178

I could potentially try a few pieces of software on the machine, kids will use for homework's as well as the general browsing, streaming, social media etc. Will be installing Office as well and using Outlook for email client, team viewers, cutting software. Could end up having a variety of software installed so best to be secure :)

Cheers
ok so basically a risky machine, so my recommendations:
1- light virtualization: Shadow Defender , Deepfreeze, Timefreeze, those will revert all changes at reboot.
2- sandboxing: Sandboxie. Primarily to isolate internet-faced apps & browsers.
3- anti-exe or HIPS : : NVT ExeRadarPro, Spyshelter, etc... it will block processes/programs to run and by default ask for your decision.
4- SRP : Appguard. Block everything by default based on policy, allow only what you have whitelisted.
5- combined protection apps: ReHIPS it does (2+3) , Comodo Firewall (2+3) ,
6- solid AV suites : kaspersky, Norton, Emsisoft. Easy to setup and multi-protection mechanisms.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
ok so basically a risky machine, so my recommendations:
1- light virtualization: Shadow Defender , Deepfreeze, Timefreeze, those will revert all changes at reboot.
2- sandboxing: Sandboxie. Primarily to isolate internet-faced apps & browsers.
3- anti-exe or HIPS : : NVT ExeRadarPro, Spyshelter, etc... it will block processes/programs to run and by default ask for your decision.
4- SRP : Appguard. Block everything by default based on policy, allow only what you have whitelisted.
5- combined protection apps: ReHIPS it does (2+3) , Comodo Firewall (2+3) ,
6- solid AV suites : kaspersky, Norton, Emsisoft. Easy to setup and multi-protection mechanisms.

@Umbra pointed out everything you need to secure your PC... it would be best for you to set-up one PC just for work(w/ AV, SRP or Anti-exe, and Sandboxing for browsing) install only what you need, and another for fun(w/ AV, sandboxing, and light virtualization for testing purposes) SRP and Anti-exe would be optional.

D

Deleted member 178

it would be best for you to set-up one PC just for work(w/ AV, SRP or Anti-exe, and Sandboxing for browsing) install only what you need, and another for fun(w/ AV, sandboxing, and light virtualization for testing purposes) SRP and Anti-exe would be optional.
Exact, the mistake people does is to use their "work" machine to do "leisure" stuff. That shouldn't be. Your machine for work must only be used for working. your work is valuable , you can't allow yourself to lose your work because you had been infected by a malware from your social surfing.

Reactions: Duotone

Luke Douthwaite

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 25, 2017
Great suggestions regarding the separate work computers but unfortunately I am in no position to buy a new computer. That is why it is imperative to have a well secured computer. I am tech savvy enough to keep myself fairly safe but still would like a secured system just in case something went badly wrong. The kids all have laptops at least so are limited to some extent with going on the work computer. The kids may come on and use the browser to do some school work research and then use Office applications to do homework and then print off. Odd occasions they may play on some games online, moviestarplanet or something like that, web based game.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.