Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why the hate for EASEUS PM? Is this something to do with borking drives that I am unaware of personally?
I followed the guide on their website to extend the size of my friend's C: drive because she needed it. I'm sure I did every step correctly and the process went smoothly. Finally, the PC booted up and every single data on the drive was corrupted (CDE,.. everything) and they were not recoverable although I tried my best using command lines to repair the MBR. I went to their forum and some people complaint about the exact same thing. Worst experience ever. Took me 3 days to repair and setup everything

my main complain about BD, HMPA and avira is their resource usage
norton has some stupid bugs that they refuse to fix for years
avira also had memory leak issue. It consumed 1.5Gb when I was using it

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The worst would be BleachBit, as it trashed Windows. I've only used it once. I used the community ini file and then checked every cleaning section. I did not enable the sections BleachBit cautioned me about. When I did a clean, it deleted lots of system files. Kerish Doctor alerted me about some system files being deleted, and even recovered some of them. However, it was not enough to save my Windows install, which got completely trashed, and I could not boot it, even after a System Restore.
First time I heard BB trashed Windows. I use it all the time w/o any issues. But, in software what works for one doesn't always work for others. Do you remember which version of BB caused that issue.

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
Adobe Flesh i mean Flash... :ROFLMAO:
"Flash, ahh! He'll exploit every one of us!" :LOL:

For me, the common one of all; Internet Explorer 8. The toolbars. Oh goodness the toolbars... It was too slow to do anything, pages kept flickering about, took so long to load.. I couldn't deal with it.

I actually wasn't a big fan of AVG during the late 00's. I used it once and it never did a good job of detecting threats, which was when I had my last infection. That's the reason why I swapped to Avast not long after.

Also, Norton. Self explanatory.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Norton AVs
Norton because it likes to auto-delete stuff without user confirmation? :D Personally, option 'Restore & exclude this file' always worked for me. But I agree partially, Norton obtrusive push to install additional extensions/toolbars/pop-ups (about other Norton products) are annoying, but as far as I know, they are working on it to make it more friendly experience for users.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Norton because it likes to auto-delete stuff without user confirmation? :D Personally, option 'Restore & exclude this file' always worked for me. But I agree partially, Norton obtrusive push to install additional extensions/toolbars/pop-ups (about other Norton products) are annoying, but as far as I know, they are working on it to make it more friendly experience for users.
1/ it's 1 thing
2/ too many false positives due to download insight. too aggressive for me
3/ it took too many clicks to whitelist a file
4/ it failed to delete/quarantine some files while I could simply press delete. TPSC in 1 of his video also demonstrated this
5/ it had poor offline signatures, which I really need
6/ it had non-existent USB protection although it was enabled by default. This got me infected the first and the only time in my life due to a virus from my USB. Right-click scan could simply detect the virus but not the realtime protection. I tried to simulate the test by putting a few viruses in the USB, plugged in and Norton never alerted anything. It was Norton IS 2013 and 2014
7/ it randomly shut down and a reboot was required to reenable it.

Since then, I've never tried norton again

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Quite the list.. But shouldn't HMPA be on the best list?
Using HMPA was like putting 2 dumbbells on my legs. I noticed huge performance drop with frequent non-responsive messages. It also increased CPU usage of other programs it injected to and when I was watching livestreams, it was constantly using 2.5% of the CPU while none of other security products did that. Finally, I noticed something was wrong with my laptop as I felt it a bit buggy. After I uninstalled HMPA, everything was working as they were with huge performance gain
I conclude, HMPA is one of the heaviest programs I have ever tested. I won 1-year license but I could never tolerate it

EDIT: I think HMPA is not useful for home users. Just for more vulnerable people because it's strong as an anti-exploit, everything else, except anti-keylogger, is average. Price-over-quality is low, IMO. I don't believe it can block more malwares/threats than a free product like voodooshield if we use them in 1 year

Last edited:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Using HMPA was like putting 2 dumbbells on my legs. I noticed huge performance drop with frequent non-responsive messages. It also increased CPU usage of other programs it injected to and when I was watching livestreams, it was constantly using 2.5% of the CPU while none of other security products did that. Finally, I noticed something was wrong with my laptop as I felt it a bit buggy. After I uninstalled HMPA, everything was working as they were with huge performance gain
I conclude, HMPA is one of the heaviest programs I have ever tested. I won 1-year license but I could never tolerate it

EDIT: I think HMPA is not useful for home users. Just for more vulnerable people because it's strong as an anti-exploit, everything else, except anti-keylogger, is average. Price-over-quality is low, IMO. I don't believe it can block more malwares/threats than a free product like voodooshield if we use them in 1 year

Have to disagree. HMPA is on my best list and I've added to any machine, which I deal with security. Totally positive experience

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I am glad to see a pattern here. We have all been scarred by registry cleaners. I have never used them since Fall Creators Update. All they do is damage.

Windows ME. Couldn't ever get it to run. I remember it always BSOD right after the Windows boot logo and not once did I reach the desktop.
I could not agree more with this. Windows ME takes the cake. I'm still traumatized after so many years.

Windows Backup. Thank you for never backing up and missing scheduled backups.
Windows Media Plugin. Remember that? It was the single worst thing on the Internet in the late 90s-early 2000s. Just endless buffering.
Windows 10 Upgrade. It has never worked for me. I always do the in-place upgrade using their iso. I can't understand why Microsoft can't just do that.
Microsoft Edge.
Windows 10 Start Menu.
Windows 10 Settings App.
Cortana.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
First time I heard BB trashed Windows. I use it all the time w/o any issues. But, in software what works for one doesn't always work for others. Do you remember which version of BB caused that issue.
I have no idea what version it was. It was some time ago and it the only time I ever used BB.

1. Iobit Advanced system care (to be honest I would put every registry cleaner or tweaker, just snake oil. Will do much more harm than the problems they solve).
Advanced SystemCare won't cause any problems these days, because I got IObit to fix false positives in the registry cleaner. It's safe to use, but not really needed.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Have to disagree. HMPA is on my best list and I've added to any machine, which I deal with security. Totally positive experience
it's just my opinion based on my usage and my observation on people around me
I consider every computer I touch has low risk and there is no need for paid or sophisticated solutions
I setup a free AV with patches for the weakness of that AV. I, my family and my friends have never got any infection for years. I always check every few months. I don't see any advantage of adding HMPA to this setup because it's free, simple, easy to use and effective enough for average users
moreover, none of the computers has SSD. We can't afford one. The performance impact I noticed on my i7 laptop was too much beyond my tolerance. Laptop fan had to work harder
everyone is different. Perhaps, it's very useful for some people who have higher risk of infection or they have valuable data to protect

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
Probably Razer Synapse 2.0. Caused applications to freeze, doesn't even start sometimes, uninstaller not working without uninstaller repair tools from Microsoft, extreme disk usage on boot (GameScannerService), text invisible on some peoples' computers. I have reinstalled it multiple times. Hope 3.0 gets better

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have been using Bitdefender Totalt Security for a while. What was your negative experience?
when I was using the old version, when I was downloading using IDM and the download finished, BD was still sucking my data at the same rate during the download
I tried the new version, 2017 and 2018. the first update took forever to finish with significant slowdown during that time. Even after that, the system was very slow, too. In the new 2018 version, they removed the option to increase ATC to aggressive which makes it nowhere near the effectiveness of kaspersky's system watcher and emsisoft's BB
Also BD's ATC 2018 still fails to protect against MBR ransomwares

Last edited:

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
864TAF.jpg
Worst application I used is Harddisk manager 15 its so buggy and UI is ugly but now they improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.