Feature Request Would be nice to have passkey login

Community Feedback
25 Replies 2,496 Views
I frequently image back to days sometimes weeks on a PC, I often change browsers out of interest, most info stored is deliberately frequently obliterated on this PC, I never save any cookies & I would assume would (have) also go the same way - I know the advantages of passkeys, but having tried them with Amazon for example, it just don't work for me, there are no biometrics on this PC. I am more than willing to listen to others opinions of their Passkey experiences on a PC?

It seems my life on a iPhone & an iPad/Apple Air are very different to a PC which i like to keep as I want it NOT as our friends at Microsoft HQ would like & their buddies at Google, a company dislike with a vengeance despite their wonderful offerings :D
 
Last edited:
I am more than willing to listen to others opinions of their Passkey experiences on a PC?
It's most likely not too different from what you experience on the iPad. Biometrics on Windows is absolutely addictive. I jumped from Windows 7 to Windows 11, and biometrics is my most favorite feature. I hardly have to type in passwords (except on reboot) anymore. Face biometrics is even faster (but harder to fool) and more addictive; once it works well for you, you'll be furious when a website doesn't work with it.

Since passkeys are saved associated with Windows Hello itself, they are not usually in the browsers' password managers. As long as you haven't wiped it out, it should work on a website from different browsers that support it. I speculate that it would be wiped when you reimage the system drive back to its pre-passkey state, but I am not 100% sure. People keep saying that the passkeys are "stored in TPM," which couldn't possibly be true, but perhaps they are "protected by TPM."

Request: It would be awesome if you could test this out: create a passkey on your PC on the test passkey site, Passkeys.io – A Real-World Passkey Demo & Info Page, make sure that you can log into it after you restart the browser, and then after you reimage your system, see if the passkey still sticks around.

Amazon is another large-tech odd duck: their passkey login still requires 2FA, obliterating the "ease" associated with passkeys. When MalwareTips enables passkeys, however, it should circumvent 2FA altogether (considering that passkeys are already a form of 2FA). This is the more typical implementation, with Google being the leader.
 
I will certainly look in to it! I would think eventually passkeys will be mandatory? Some though not all! of the problem with passwords began with edits using the same passwords or similar for all accounts, along with compromised sites - I actually find 2FA a pain & a half & not that secure from my reading. I don't use a webcam with this PC which usually confuses most AV systems (are you really sure you don't want to protect your webcam) I have a web cam but not used it for some time, again that belongs to other devices. It does seem passkeys are in their infancy though the system is maturing but as you say with Amazon it don't work that well & half the time it wants password & some a passkey so reverted to password with that site my most used shopping site. Always open to new ideas though! So thank you @Wrecker4923
 
I've chosen to remain permanently logged in to this forum. Why should I log in and out? Are secrets stored here that could endanger my security or the nation's security? Such an effort is justified for online access to my bank account, but for a forum?
By the way, Windows Hello with facial recognition works very well for me on Amazon.
 
I've chosen to remain permanently logged in to this forum. Why should I log in and out? Are secrets stored here that could endanger my security or the nation's security? Such an effort is justified for online access to my bank account, but for a forum?
By the way, Windows Hello with facial recognition works very well for me on Amazon.
Me too; I keep me logged in forums and X accounts; only bank and email accounts that I log out after use.
The only risk of keeping logged in is infostealer fetching log in cookies.
 
You get automatically logged out every month.
Yes, now instead of supplying a TOTP code monthly, I can supply my fingerprint instead! Also, as a tech enthusiast, I endorse anything that is both more secure and easier, especially for a feature that comes as part of the software already. Discourse forum software has both FIDO2 2FA and passkey enabled, pretty much everywhere I've been too.
 
Yes, now instead of supplying a TOTP code monthly, I can supply my fingerprint instead! Also, as a tech enthusiast, I endorse anything that is both more secure and easier, especially for a feature that comes as part of the software already. Discourse forum software has both FIDO2 2FA and passkey enabled, pretty much everywhere I've been too.
What do you use for a fingerprint scanner on Windows please as there are few keyboards that support this now? And plz can you elaborate how you use that with Windows 11 ? (humour me as with some things tech I'm in the forefront, with others I'm an holdout) I think we or I need more info on this?
 
And plz can you elaborate how you use that with Windows 11 ? (humour me as with some things tech I'm in the forefront, with others I'm an holdout) I think we or I need more info on this?
You can just use PIN. 11 uses TPM to store certificates, so you do not need an extra device, but you can get a fingerprint scanner, a security key or a camera for face recognition.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top