Advanced Plus Security WyntechUmbrella's PC Security Config

Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jul 28, 2023
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
  • Norton 360 Advanced
  • Malwarebytes Premium
Device firewall
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
Custom security settings
Default settings for the most part, all non-security bloatware disabled from the AV. Proper exclusions set for the AV and Malwarebytes to avoid any conflicts
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro (set for weekly full scan)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
- Google Chrome (Bitwarden, Adblock Plus and Internet Download Manager extensions)
- Microsoft Edge (Bitwarden, Adblock Plus and Internet Download Manager extensions)
- Firefox (Bitwarden, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Malwarebytes Browser Guard and Internet Download Manager extensions)
- Opera One (no extensions, only integrated adblocker and anti-tracker used)
Secure DNS
None (using the default ISP)
Desktop VPN
Mullvad or IVPN
Password and passkey manager
Bitwarden Premium
File and photo backups
Automatic backup on Infomaniak kDrive (Swiss cloud storage), monthly manual backup on 2 external HDD stored at 2 different physical places
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
Computer specs
  • HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0162nf
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD storage
Feedback preference

Only essential issues, please

Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

Pretty solid and straightforward setup in my opinion. With proper exclusions, I never had any issues with Malwarebytes Premium running alongside the AV (contrary what some users say). I tend to switch AV a lot throughout the year (I have multiple subscriptions and I enjoy the variety and testing out when new features are released). While I'm not looking for feedback specifically, I welcome any opinion or (constructive) criticism ;).
 
Third time you’re asking that question in different threads. What answer do you want to hear? 😄

Yes. Different users will have different needs.

I want to know whether using BitLocker at home really improves your security or just perceived security

Or one just want to fill up the

On-device encryption :

in the PC Setup Configuration Help & Showcase to make it look good?
 
Last edited:
Any reason(s) you are using BitLocket for home use? How does it improve your security at home?
Because I believe that all data on a device should be encrypted by default, and that in 2023 it is a very basic feature that should be on by default. It's actually a shame Microsoft requires a Pro version of Windows for that. Virtually all other major OS are encrypted or have the free option to do so (MacOS, iOS, Android). Without encryption, it means anyone could boot up a Linux USB key and access the entirety of my PC and files, so in my opinion it's a security risk if I were to robbed for example.
 
Norton + MalwareBytes both in real-time I tend to say this is overkill...
I know it probably is, however in my testing the slowdown is minimum compared to running Norton alone. The extra security is worth it in my opinion. However the next time I'll need to clean install Windows, I will make a more thorough comparison firsthand to make sure it isn't heavier than I thought. Thanks for your input.
 
Any reason to use adblock plus on chromium browsers over ublock origin?
Because I use Chrome and Edge only for very familiar websites and nothing out of the ordinary, and in my experience Adblock Plus causes slightly less issues than uBlock Origin. On Firefox I do lots of browsing on unknown websites, and nothing beats uBlock Origins when it comes to efficiency, protection and lightness.

My approach to privacy is split between browsers: on Chrome and Edge, I'm Mr Thomas Anderson, connected to all my social networks and accepting every cookies without caring. I literally consider everything I do there as almost public. On Firefox, I'm Neo and I like my privacy and not having big tech tracking my every move. Even though I don't have much of an interesting life :ROFLMAO:. By the way, those names are in reference to the Matrix movie.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top