Not open for further replies.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I might not try it if it requires Java. I used to have Java in my system so I didn't notice in the past while installing XDM. Now I don't have Java installed. Jdownloader(beta version) doesn't require to install Java anymore, maybe XDM can do something like that in the future if possible.

@Sunshine-boy I think Eagleget doesn't have adware anymore. But I'm not sure. @jackuars can clarify.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
For me, it doesn't use any resource(175 MB ram and 0% CPU) but that extension is probably not safe and I will not install it.Eagleget has Adware.
yes, I trust you
but it's a bit annoying for me to install a java-based program due to my restrictions. I have to unblock all the restrictions and install the programs
what's the advantages of XDM compared to Eagleget and how about the speed?

Like deletedmessiah already mentioned, the browser extensions installed by XDM (as well as EagleGet) are safe. They aren't digitally signed and obviously monitor streaming videos on websites for download, and also captures download links. So it isn't a mystery why some antiviruses may flag it.

EagleGet after being requested by the users has removed all bundled offers in it's installer and only offers it's own in-house Chrome extension "iNewTab" which is approved at Chrome Web Store, that can be easily deselected during install. So unlike most other bundled freeware's this isn't a big deal, and also helps the author to recover development costs. To be honest this is a fairly useful extension too!

Comparing XDM and EagleGet now that their differences in terms of features are minimal because of the rapid development of XDM compared to EagleGet, the updates for the latter has slowed down in the recent past, they are quite similar in most aspects.

In my recent tests during last November with 11 download managers (IDM, FDM, XDM, EagleGet, IDA, DownloadNinja, DAP, FlareGet, FlashGet, DAM, GetGo & uGet), EagleGet clocked the fastest download speeds, however the stability of the software was a concern. Although IDM was a bit better than EagleGet in detecting videos, the 3-way media capture ability of EagleGet ensured that you can still download videos (using Media Grabber) without even enabling the browser extension. EagleGet's interface is still the most intuitive with skins & with the ability to re-position download tasks directly from the UI.

All this being said XDM is the new kid on the block that is now impressive in terms of it's features compared to IDM & EagleGet as well as being free & open-source :D

Last edited:

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I might not try it if it requires Java. I used to have Java in my system so I didn't notice in the past while installing XDM. Now I don't have Java installed. Jdownloader(beta version) doesn't require to install Java anymore, maybe XDM can do something like that in the future if possible.
you have emsisoft installed so don't worry :LOL:

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Although IDM was a bit better than EagleGet in detecting videos, the 3-way media capture ability of EagleGet ensured that you can still download videos (using Media Grabber) without even enabling the browser extension. :D

Found that XDM can also download videos directly from its interface without using the extension, (File->Download videos). Not sure if it's as good as it's browser extension

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Not necessary true. I find EagleGet can do better in certain cases
Yeah that's also true. I was talking specifically when you browse videos in websites that are in certain other languages like Arabic etc. XDM is also as good as both of them in detecting videos.

Reactions: HarborFront

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
(y)
I wouldn't go without this feature. Uget will be a great choice when I try Linux someday.
You have web extensions or addons to capture videos. It works on Linux, Windows and Mac OS. Even it could support android/iOS but I'm unsure.

yes, I trust you
but it's a bit annoying for me to install a java-based program due to my restrictions. I have to unblock all the restrictions and install the programs
what's the advantages of XDM compared to Eagleget and how about the speed?
JDK isn't an attack vector but JRE is the culprit sometimes or always.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

subhro

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

This is the developer of XDM.
May be I can clear some doubts about XDM:
1. It does not required Java to be installed. It installs a private JRE which is only accessible to XDM.
2. Java is not a security threat as long as you are not using it as browser plugin (for applets), XDM even does not install Java globally on your system.
3. It can download streaming videos directly from browser, or the video url can be copied and pasted in Download Video option.

Thanks.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Hi Guys,

This is the developer of XDM.
May be I can clear some doubts about XDM:
1. It does not required Java to be installed. It installs a private JRE which is only accessible to XDM.
2. Java is not a security threat as long as you are not using it as browser plugin (for applets), XDM even does not install Java globally on your system.
3. It can download streaming videos directly from browser, or the video url can be copied and pasted in Download Video option.

Thanks.
Thats nice. Its all good then (y)

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment here subhro

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It just keeps getting better! :| New option to Privately download videos with password :sneaky:
Goodbye EagleGet :p
Goodbye IDM o_O

Changelog: Xtreme Download Manager / Discussion / General Discussion:Changelog for 7.2.4

Version: 7.2.4
HDPI support
Option configure single or categorized download folder
Option to show hidden progress dialog
Add option to hide/show system tray on linux
Remember last downloaded folder while showing file chooser
Option to provide password for private videos
Add rename on download progress dialog
Fix auto shutdown issue
Better browser addon link display
Selection option in batch downloads
Batch pattern download
Better system tray, more options added
Enhance speed limiter with separate dialog
Fixed incorrect download speed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.