Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
PSA if you install Privacy Possum you don't need to have Canvas Blocker or Canvas Defender. Privacy Possum blocks all types of fingerprinting, canvas, and audio. And it's open source:

Firefox: Privacy Possum – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

Chrome: Privacy Possum
Are you sure?
1549228586838.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave with built-in "resist fingerprinting" feature enabled, and fingerprint sig. returns N/A result on browserleaks. With that feature disabled, and PP enabled, sig is clearly positive. Other than my own test, I am not qualified to say more. Honestly, I make some effort to avoid tracking generally, but trying to achieve perfection is analogous to running on a hamster wheel. Or, going down deep into a cave with an ultra-complex labyrinth inside. :LOL:

Edit: Nano Adblocker is the extension I use consistently. uBO in FF, which I use less and less now with Brave Beta.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I don't have a favorite extension. Everyone does their own thing.
If I had to choose one I would be uBlock Origin .:giggle:

edit: Although I use Privacy Possum, Canvas Defender, Auto History Wipe, and Emsisoft Browser Security.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
PSA if you install Privacy Possum you don't need to have Canvas Blocker or Canvas Defender. Privacy Possum blocks all types of fingerprinting, canvas, and audio. And it's open source:

Firefox: Privacy Possum – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

Chrome: Privacy Possum
Privacy Possum blocks third-party fingerprinting and spoofs the readout of first-party fingerprinting. Explanation from its github page:
Fingerprinting usually aggregates information across many esoteric browser API's, so we watch for this behavior. When we detect it, we block it.

However many sites load first party fingerprinting code alongside other necessary code, like on reddit.com, so we can't simply block the script, or it will break the page. Instead when we see first party fingerprinting, we inject random data to spoil the fingerprint.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Privacy Possum blocks third-party fingerprinting and spoofs the readout of first-party fingerprinting. Explanation from its github page:
So does PP pass the fingerprint tests at

browserleaks.com (canvas + font)
AudioContext Fingerprint Test Page
Test pages

and does it protects your own fingerprint from being exposed besides spoofing/blocking others?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
So does PP pass the fingerprint tests at

browserleaks.com (canvas + font)
AudioContext Fingerprint Test Page
Test pages
Privacy Possum didn't react to any of these tests for me.

and does it protects your own fingerprint from being exposed besides spoofing/blocking others?
It does not. It only ever blocks or spoofs when it detects fingerprinting; any resource it doesn't believe is fingerprinting you is allowed to access your real fingerprint.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
My favourite privacy related extensions that work for Brave for me are: Scriptsafe, Trace, Random User Agent & Browser Plugs Font & Glyph Protection. However for Chromium based browsers I have yet to find a decent Canvas Fingerprinting solution that hides my fingerprint, not blocking the canvas readout completely.

Brave with built-in "resist fingerprinting" feature enabled, and fingerprint sig. returns N/A result on browserleaks.

With Brave you have to be careful. Brave blocks the canvas readout completely, this is a fingerprinting method in itself.

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Currently, I'm finding Trace to be a worthwhile extension for Chrome, yes Canvas Fingerprint protection is enabled; hopefully it does something at least. Trace was the first responder for a questionable site (Taboola) trying to open up in default browser Chrome directly from MSN news app/"sponsored site". :emoji_ok_hand:

It's a work in progress to find the least amt. of extensions doing the most multi-tasking. Anybody getting by with less than 3 ?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
On FF and Waterfox I use -

uBO
HTTPS Everywhere
NoScript
Privacy Possum
Emsisoft Browser Security

Sometimes testing the above with, or swapping out one and replaced with one from below -
Decentraleyes
Disconnect
Windscribe

I've recently tried using Browser Plugs as well

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.