• Sophos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
  • Avast free
  • Comodo Firewall with Autosandbox (Proactive)
  • Zemana free
  • Adguard or uBlock Origin
  • System Backup (Aomei or equivalent software)

Reactions: AtlBo and Andy Ful

vemn

Level 6
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
For the longest time I'd been using Malwarebytes, kinda no brainer protection for me. Gona try Comodo after hearing a lot of positive feedback in this forum (not just this thread). =)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I would say Comodo Firewall but it isnt there yet for me. I am very happy that its good enough for me now so that I am able to use the program, and it is very powerful in Proactive with auto-sandoboxing enabled for unrecognized. Disappearing settings doesn't seem to be an issue so far, but I have a backup of settings anyway just in case. Not installing much on this PC or it could be an issue having to constantly update the settings backup.

I voted 360 TS for its specific system protections (on 3 computers) and because it works well with Comodo, which is the best free firewall. I use Avast on two computers though, and it is also very effective.

Standard user account
UAC (Always notify)
Avast/360 TS (BD and Avira defs enabled)
Comodo FW (A/S set On for unrecognized/Proactive)
NVT ERP
CheckMAL AppCheck Antimalware
EMET 5.5 (custom settings)
Zemana Anti-malware (opinion scanner)

NVT ERP and below use almost no resources, which makes them excellent for any configuration of security products.

Last edited:

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
- Win7, administrator account (Yes i know i shouldn´t!), UAC alert to changes.
- Avast free (Running KIS atm but would use Avast if using free)
- CFW (Autosandbox on, HIPS off, Proactive, default deny)
- CheckMAL Appcheck
- MBRFilter
- MBAM (On demand)
- Browser Addons: HTTPS Everywhere and UBlock Origin. NoScript is excellent but can´t stand what it does to the surfing experience....

Above is my choices and what i actually run. Very happy with how it performs!

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@TerrakionSmash ERP as any anti-exe is very low on resources.
Sorry but I was asking the programs above NVT ERP in comparison. This question might be moot though since he said resource and that might not matter if it doesn't affect anything else. Still interested since I fail to notice differences in impact because it's not replicable enough so I just gather what I can.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have noticed a trend with non gamers, they tend to stack or pile on more than a gamer
would. This is not bad, and I am not singling anyone out just an observation I have made
over the past 2yrs, and it is very obvious in threads like this one.

My "Layers":
1> VoodooShield
2> HitMan Pro Alert
I feel that "layer" is the wrong word, as we run multiple security programs that
may overlap a bit, but our goal is to cover gaps and "not" to smother or layer in
a way that creates redundancies or smothers one another where the programs are
concerned. But I have to admit some here do "Layer".
Cool Thread. ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@AtlBo What about above NVT ERP, what do you think of their performance/usage?

Avast/360 TS (BD and Avira defs enabled)
Comodo FW (A/S set On for unrecognized/Proactive)

Avast is good enough performance-wise. Over the years, I have developed a belief that Avast is an honest a-v performance wise. This means to me that it has used resources in the past but for a free a-v it was all for the purposes of max protection. Now, the difference is that there are a large number of settings choices, and you can get fairly solid protection from avast using just the efficient and effective features. In the past, the scanner was relentless and running during videos and boot-time, etc. Avast still uses some resources but it's much better than 5 years ago in this area.

360 T/S is all the a-v type resource-cheap protections rolled into one app. It does periodic short scans but nothing elaborate. The main element of 360 T/S is in its system protections/Windows protections. These elements aren't as sophisticated as with the very best pay options, but there is enough sophistication to get a really good level of protection and insights from the blocks and their alerts. 360 T/S is a really good program resource-wise even with the Bitdefender and Avira engines running. It's a good program, just doesn't have anywhere near the configurability of Avast.

Comodo FW is way ahead of where it was a few years ago. It's still a brick settings-wise, but it doesn't use resources, and it's very effective.

Reactions: brod56

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.