Advice Request Youtube Ads??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Did youtube change its ad policy in the last day or 2 (20 Oct)? Lately Edge is my default browser, and when I open youtube I get a prompt advising that youtube works better with chrome. So in the last day or 2 I started using chrome, but only for youtube. I opened youtube this morning, signed in and I started getting ad after ad adnauseum. Previously, I'd sign in and never had to watch any ads?? youtube / google loses in the end, I'll just stop using youtube if this keeps up. PS ublock origin, duckduckgo, and privacy badger extensions running but to no effect.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The scolding issue for many also on this forum. You'll find some more threads on the topic below in " Similar threads ".

Personal using Opera and it's built-in adblocker and the Ghostery extension, seems for myself anyway work pretty fine " at the moment " but just now a few minutes ago I noticed YT ( Youtube ) had done some updates that counterworked one of Ghosterys automatic blocking feature. Solved by click Yes on the popup window in Ghostery for blocking never consent notes. Seen also here:

I have no doubt YT will soon enough update again, and then break my own setup. Typical cat and mouse game, and if one must have a perfect ad-free experience with YT, it's either paying for the subscription or constant fiddle. 🤷‍♂️

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The scolding issue for many also on this forum. You'll find some more threads on the topic below in " Similar threads ".

Personal using Opera and it's built-in adblocker and the Ghostery extension, seems for myself anyway work pretty fine " at the moment " but just now a few minutes ago I noticed YT ( Youtube ) had done some updates that counterworked one of Ghosterys automatic blocking feature. Solved by click Yes on the popup window in Ghostery for blocking never consent notes. Seen also here:

I have no doubt YT will soon enough update again, and then break my own setup. Typical cat and mouse game, and if one must have a perfect ad-free experience with YT, it's either paying for the subscription or constant fiddle. 🤷‍♂️
Talk about cat & mouse, curiously I came back to youtube tonight, using chrome, watching some of the same videos, and happily I'm getting NO ads. So let's pretend I never asked and I'll run & duck for cover, keep my fingers crossed.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
The experience I had with ms edge months ago when I tested it, was when even using ublock origin, installing by chrome web store and microsoft edge addons, ads started appearing from time to time in youtube. But with chrome, brave and firefox, I have never seen a single ad appear since I know people. If it's showing up for you, it's like @upnorth said, all that's left is to pay the youtube premium. Regarding adguard that @ticklemefeet mentioned, that extension blocks everything in its path, no ads get through, it has a huge list of annoyances. But this may change in the future, next year... who knows...

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I had to reinstall adguard certificate today, as it wouldnt block ads, now its working perfectly

Adguard desktop is what im running
I'm running AdGuard Desktop on Win 10 and have not had to do this but over the last couple of days I've had to approve new firewall permissions for AdguardSvc.exe , I hadn't seen anything like that for ages, this might be linked to your certificate issue.

As for YT viewing without ads, how about trying alternative front-ends such as

or for Android and available from F-Droid

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Mind you, I use LibreTube (Github) as my front-end for YouTube on android. However, for people wondering about YouTube in general, regarding the increase of planned revenue. This video from LTT is very interesting and informational for those who do not know, or understood, the other side of the coin.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Did youtube change its ad policy in the last day or 2 (20 Oct)? Lately Edge is my default browser, and when I open youtube I get a prompt advising that youtube works better with chrome. So in the last day or 2 I started using chrome, but only for youtube. I opened youtube this morning, signed in and I started getting ad after ad adnauseum. Previously, I'd sign in and never had to watch any ads?? youtube / google loses in the end, I'll just stop using youtube if this keeps up. PS ublock origin, duckduckgo, and privacy badger extensions running but to no effect.
USA here, no issues I run them both in Edge and Chrome and no ads bypass.

As for Android version I use Vanced or I just pipe Youtube App through Adguard and it removes all ads.

Attachments

• you3.PNG
    you3.PNG
    91.7 KB · Views: 103
  • you2.PNG
    you2.PNG
    45.7 KB · Views: 106
  • you.PNG
    you.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • jam.PNG
    jam.PNG
    253.6 KB · Views: 116

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use YouTube Premium, I have no ads :D (paid in a country with a VPN)
I think I was logged in with my Premium acct, I think there was a hiccup in the connection as the ads appeared right after I logged in...? Running without ads now. I find a lot of educational content on YT as well as some hobby & fun stuff.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
I use YouTube Premium, I have no ads :D (paid in a country with a VPN)
I run adblocking and vanced if Android. Google has enough of my data and patronage they don't need to charge me for watching YouTube. Although I understand if you got it for a really cheap. So far I don't need 4k since I am using my phone and if I had 4k on my Pixel phone then I would need to purchase glasses.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.