Technology YouTube: Enforcement on Third Party Apps

nicolaasjan

Level 3
Thread author
May 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

We’re strengthening our enforcement on third-party apps that violate YouTube’s Terms of Service, specifically ad-blocking apps.

Viewers who are using these third-party apps may experience buffering issues or see the error “The following content is not available on this app” when trying to watch a video. We want to emphasize that our terms don’t allow third-party apps to turn off ads because that prevents the creator from being rewarded for viewership, and Ads on YouTube help support creators and let billions of people around the world use the streaming service. We also understand that some people prefer an entirely ad-free experience, which is why we offer YouTube Premium.

We only allow third-party apps to use our API when they follow our API Services Terms of Service, and when we find an app that violates these terms, we will take appropriate action to protect our platform, creators, and viewers.

• Rob, TeamYouTube
We'll have to wait and see if the uBO team can counter this.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
@nicolaasjan thanks for sharing

Google is talking about using our API and third-party apps. I am not sure but to me it looks more directed against third-party apps showing youtube content without tracking and ads (e.g. freetube, libretube and piped etc). I just checked AdGuard using uBO's block rules (scriptlets) for youtube and did not noticed any stutter (nor ads).

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, this has felt like David vs Goliath.
If David was going to Goliath's bakery and walking out the back door with loaves of bread and claiming he does it because he doesn't pay his bakers enough (which is a valid point).

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.