ZeroDay's Config. (Updated 22/07/2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Added: K9 Web protection.

Uninstalled K9 it's annoying and tbh I don't need that level of filtering. I imagine it would be great to make sure kids are safe online though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen anyone use Comodo Internet Security, as a standalone product. Always adding this or that. :angel:

Norton DNS provides content filtering, does it not?

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Yeah I've been using norton dns I'm just testing out comodo dns. I use Bitdefender trafficlight to though so I'm probably already covered for web protection. I was considering a permanent switch to KIS 2014 once it goes final, I was really impressed with the RC, but I just don't think you can beat comodo as a suite it offers a lot. I do wish they would add web protection. I'm a safe browser anyway and I know what I'm doing it's just nice to have that extra layer.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hi,
I agree Cis is a complete suite and good one too but if you want to switch to kaspersky and if you have license or afford it than I think it would be better choice.
Kaspersky have improve lot in resource usage and nothing can beat protection provided by this giant company.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Hi Spirit and thanks for your advice. I really think CIS can match or even beat KIS, although KIS is a rock solid product there's no doubt about that.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Uninstalled Comodo AV.
Installed: Testing the new Emsisoft Anti-Malware beta.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I've had some time on my hands today so I've reinstalled windows and set up a nice clean image. I've installed the full CIS suite and MCShield, along with of course MBAM on demand and EAM on demand. I'll be sticking with this setup until windows 8.1 is released.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Are you still using SpywareBlaster? How is that work?

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Yeah I'm still using it, it's an old favourite of mine. It works well blocking certain host and some exploits.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Valentin N said:
Maximus said:
No where did I bash Comodo. I said it is not needed. Big difference. Back in the XP days the benefits of a 3rd party firewall was great. With the advancements in Windows 7 the need for a 3rd party firewall has diminished. MSE was to blame for the infection. I have never seen a firewall to blame for a virus. A firewall can prevent ti from going out but its the ineffective av that let it in.
Inbound protection is covered by your hardware firewall and av. A software firewall covers outbounds. But if something wants out its already too late cause it got in.

Comodo firewall is more than just a firewall. Comodo firewall is easier to handle and gives you more info about your connectivity.

Windows is fine and surely better than before but it won't match Comodo firewall.

That is not entirely true.
If your system is totally clean of malware then the windows firewall is more than enough.

You need to remember that a firewalls main function is to keep illicit connections out of the computer and windows does this job just fine.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Plus you can create rules using windows firewall with advanced settings. You can actually make it really tight, it can just be a pain doing it all manually. But you could use one of the windows firewall controls. I prefer Comodo for convenience and the added security of D+ and the sandbox.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Removed: CAV
Took Earths advice and installed Kaspersky antivirus alongside Comodo firewall. Running well so far.

elite

Level 1
Apr 26, 2013
ZeroDay said:
I dual boot with: Linux mint 15.
i want to ask a question about MY security config and maybe you can advise me , i'm using now comodo internet security tweaked , with emsisosft antimalware tweaked too, gdata total security engine A , and kaspersky endpoint security as a cloud undefined malware blocker with mbam as a regular scanner bitdefender trafic light and mcafee site advisor premium with comodo dragon wirtualized with comodo dns and chrome with https evreywhere Ghostery and NORTON dns, waht do you think about my config,i have I5 36XX series and 2x 160go ssd 16gb ram i don't have a problem with any software or my internet speed

regards

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I don't think you should really be using Gdata ith Emsisoft that's asking for trouble and also using Kaspersky?? If I was you I'd remove Gdata and kaspersky ASAP. The rest of your config looks spot on though :)

elite

Level 1
Apr 26, 2013
ZeroDay said:
I don't think you should really be using Gdata ith Emsisoft that's asking for trouble and also using Kaspersky?? If I was you I'd remove Gdata and kaspersky ASAP. The rest of your config looks spot on though :)

i'm using the engine of GDATA not bitdefender one , also kaspersky is used to detect unclassified malware, i tweaked all security soft with exclusion and the main security software is comodo the rest are second scna on execution

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
elite said:
ZeroDay said:

i'm using the engine of GDATA not bitdefender one , also kaspersky is used to detect unclassified malware, i tweaked all security soft with exclusion and the main security software is comodo the rest are second scna on execution

It is only recommended to use only one real-time anti-virus. If your already have CIS then you don't need the rest.

Always download files from trusted sources and if you want to scan them with different AV engines then upload them to VirusTotal before you run them.

Having several real-time AV's installed and running at the same time is very harsh on your system and will errors and performance issues almost the same way as what an infection would.

If you are already accustomed to using Comodo, I recommend uninstalling all of the extra real-time AV's. If you don't understand the concept of D+, then uninstall Comodo and choose only one real-time AV.

Emsisoft has a free version that can be used for on-demand scans and they also has Emsisoft Emergency Kit portable. You can also use Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool for on-demand scans. Gdata scans are supported by VirusTotal.

Get the VirusTotal Uploader here- https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/desktop-applications/virustotal-uploader
Supports all AV scanners.

Enjoy!! :D

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Just an update: Kaspersky AV 2014 RC and comodo firewall are running like a dream together.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
ZeroDay, Are you experiencing slowdowns with KAV and CFW together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.