harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security - October 2021 Report
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
__

System Status Abbreviations:

P: Protected
NC: Not Clean
I: Infected
E: Encrypted

* : Partially Blocked

Second Opinion Scanners Status Abbreviations:

C: Clean
I: Infected

Additional Abbreviations:

WV: WiseVector StopX
HMP: HitManPro
NPE: Norton Power Eraser
KVRT: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

BSR: Before System Reboot
ASR: After System Reboot

October
2021​
Samples
Pack​
Static
Detection​
Dynamic
Detection​
Total
Detection​
System Files
Encrypted​
2nd Opinion
Scanners​
System
Final Status​
Thread
Link​
03/10/2021
2 / 2
N/A
2 / 2
No
C
P
10/10/2021
2 / 2
N/A
2 / 2
No
C
P
12/10/2021
2 / 4
2 / 2
4 / 4
No
C
P
15/10/2021
4 / 4
N/A
4 / 4
No
C
P
20/10/2021
0 / 1
0 / 1
0 / 1
No
C
P
22/10/2021
3 / 5
1 / 2
4 / 5
No
C
BSR: NC
ASR: P
29/10/2021
2 / 3
1 / 1
3 / 3
No
C
P
/10/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
C: WV HMP NPE KVRT
I: WV HMP NPE KVRT
P NC I
Post#​
/10/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
P NC I
Post#​
/10/2021
-
/
/
/
No Yes
P NC I
Post#​

Last edited:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well guys, this past month (October) there were finally less malware packs than usually to test ZA due to various circumstances, one of them it was quite difficult to malware hunters to find samples not detected by Kaspersky engine he he…

The VM system was very, very slow running ZA, also I got weird behaviors/bugs? (already explained in some of my posted results):
  • During some dynamic test some samples were blocked (wscript.exe) and spawned malware removed, and I did not get any warning, I had to go to Logs and check ther4e what happened.
  • During a pair of static scans, a got a big alarming notification that system got a ransomware attack… and was offered to recover the encrypted files, of course there were 0 files to recover since it was just a selective scan.
  • Quarantine showing there were 2 malware in it, but when checked it was empty…
  • And finally, problems uninstalling it via Windows 10 Control Panel -> Programs and Features, the process started but suddenly the window showing the process auto closed and never finished, still ZA services running… 🤦‍♂️🙄
For these reasons (and others) We could not see ZA dynamic detection protection in action as much as we would have wanted…

P.S.: after several tries to uninstall ZA I restarted the system and then tried again, and it seems this time the in-built uninstaller is working fine…

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.