Advice Request ZoneAlarm Firewall free these days? Is it worth trying it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - Have you tried it?

• Yes

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 49.5%

• Total voters

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I used it half a year ago on max settings for several days or weeks. It worked OK bundled with some other security progs. I like it has a module monitoring programs. I think I'll try it this year again.

I'd like to look at recent tests too.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
I used it half a year ago on max settings for several days or weeks. It worked OK bundled with some other security progs. I like it has a module monitoring programs. I think I'll try it this year again.

I'd like to look at recent tests too.

what abouth free Vs pro firewall ? they are the same ? let me know if u find any recent test thx

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
N

Noxx

I wasn't personally a fan. Combine the unnesssesery bundled software, to the nightmare of uninstalling it, to the scareware tactics to get people to buy the paid version, I'm just not motivated at all to use it. Things may have changed over the years, if so, I'd love to hear what you all think.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
( at least for me ) pro Vs free versions.. basically.. free is a cut version of pro.. not enougth protecction what free gives compared with others firewalls totally free.. im still love the private firewall. but i ask for this bcs i use it years ago and seems still the same lol.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
You are right that free firewall is a cut version of the pro.
But if you need a strong firewall which is free then i suggest Comodo firewall.
When you will tweak it you will get very good protection.
You can use @cruelsister's guide to do the tweaking;)
Rigth but i tried comodo many times.. and totally will wait till they release any Version 10 stable..

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I understand but unfortunately there aren't many free firewall options.
Maybe you can try Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft.
There is a free version but the paid version will give you outbound notifications.

In the end what i can recommend is that if you have safe browsing habit's meaning you don't visit suspicious sites you stick with
Windows Firewall which is very good at it's job.
With it you just don't have outbound notifications.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
I understand but unfortunately there aren't many free firewall options.
Maybe you can try Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft.
There is a free version but the paid version will give you outbound notifications.

In the end what i can recommend is that if you have safe browsing habit's meaning you don't visit suspicious sites you stick with
Windows Firewall which is very good at it's job.
With it you just don't have outbound notifications.
i keep using privatefirewall 7 still 100 % great protecction and it notify on all conections, still cant understand why microsoft cant make a firewall usefull and more intuitive, also zone alarm get discart from my side. atm cant pay for any software so full free ^_*

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Ι also use free software except if i win a license here in MT giveaway.
Windows firewall is very good but it doesn't have outbound notifications.
If you can add rules to Widows firewall with advanced settings then it will be much stronger.
If you can't add rules you can use widows firewall control software to have outbound notifications.
As for Private firewall i agree is very good software

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I tried ZoneAlarm Free Firewall in the past but then it was quite heavy on system resources (or at least on my system). It did it's job, but like others I liked Privite Firewall more too. The latter one has more options. Comodo is indeed also a good product. Like @tonibalas mentioned, you can also extend the strenght of Windows built-in firewall. Options and choices enough! :)

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Yesterday I uninstalled Outpost V 9.3 from 3 of my computers and installed Zone Alarm FREE on them.
I had been running ZA for quite a while on one computer and was pleased with it.
It seems fine and it's hard to beat FREE.

Arrabida Rock

Level 3
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
I don't know why people in ZoneAlarm Labs. make a free product with a scheduler that doesn't allow to config. date and time to scan... (At least i think they could provide this option), but overall good product for daily usage...

Gapp

Level 2
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
There seems to be no offline installer for the free firewall(only) version...is there any link for that?

Reactions: jadinolf

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I searched and found nothing.
Curious but is an offline download really necessary?

Some have issues with online install due to their ISP or internet connection being slow and all. I suffer from it. So an offline installer is the way to go instead of trying to download the stuff and do nothing but wait. That's a reality I have faced so I download outside/some place with ISP provider.

Reactions: jadinolf

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Some have issues with online install due to their ISP or internet connection being slow and all. I suffer from it. So an offline installer is the way to go instead of trying to download the stuff and do nothing but wait. That's a reality I have faced so I download outside/some place with ISP provider.
Wish I could help but no idea here.

Reactions: jasonX and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.