JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
No problem, maybe ill find more :)

Who knows?

PS: Crystal Security is now running on my grandpas PC since its the only Protection software next to Tiranium
that can still run on it. (Malware borked it up)

Can he renew the OS to factory default? Or find the original registry setting point to restore with...?

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 21043

Hello Kardo,

Was the new self-defence implemented in the latest version? Crystal Security can be terminated via Task Manager (which uses the WINAPI function TerminateProcess, which means ZwTerminateProcess will be called anyway) and by external programs?

Cheers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Secondmineboy

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Was the new self-defence implemented in the latest version? Crystal Security can be terminated via Task Manager (which uses the WINAPI function TerminateProcess, which means ZwTerminateProcess will be called anyway) and by external programs?

@kram7750 Yes. it is implemented.

Try to kill it with Process Explorer or Process Hacker (without Admin rights). Please note that If you are logged in as Admin then you can kill it with Task Manager. This method is against targeted attacks (malicious processes) and not against Admin. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:
M

MalwareT

Russian website COMSS rated CS 3 out of 5 stars :

2015-07-22_125458.jpg

I think he will test it when he got time.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
D

Deleted member 21043

@kram7750 Yes. it is implemented.

Try to kill it with Process Explorer or Process Hacker (without Admin rights). Please note that If you are logged in as Admin then you can kill it with Task Manager. This method is against targeted attacks (malicious processes) and not against Admin.

Regards,
Kardo
Don't worry, I see what you mean now. Yes, it does protect against Process Hacker (without admin rights). :)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Don't worry, I see what you mean now. Yes, it does protect against Process Hacker (without admin rights). :)

@kram7750 Thanks for the feedback Mark. :)

This method is also better because previous method protected against 3 programs only and caused errors etc... This method is much better and seems stable and protect against any malicious process. It is actually partially good that Admin can close it (in case something goes wrong in program).

...and it works without driver/DLL injection. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

This method is also better because previous method protected against 3 programs only and caused errors etc... This method is much better and seems stable and protect against any malicious process. It is actually partially good that Admin can close it (in case something goes wrong in progran).

...and it works without driver/DLL injection. :)
Yes, much better than the last self-defence. But, if malware is run as administrator, it can bypass the method (which is why I don't like it as much), and many people get infected by malware running with administrative privileges, especially people who don't know much about how it all works and securing their system.

The reason I suggested DLL injection (code injection could also be used) is because this method allows you to write to the process memory to overwrite the instructions at the target address and prevent it from even being able to make the request call to the function to terminate your process in the first place. However, this would also protect against processes running as admin. (user-mode based, but injection can occur from kernel-mode as well).

As for a driver, that'd be the most secure option. But it isn't needed for now.

Good work though, it should be all okay. :)

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi Kardo,

Crystal Security crashed on me after installing the newest version of Shadow Defender, i cant find any logfile
in the programs folder :)

@Secondmineboy Thanks for the feedback. :)

Logs are located in AppData folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Crystal Security\3.5\Logs

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Crystal (the current version at least) is detected by Kaspersky heuristics so I sent it in as a false positive. Even after excluding it from every possible module it still happens. Also take note that I set the heuristics on max and I'm using 2016 RC. Figured I'd send it in anyway to get that problem cleared up.

The install file is trusted however it isn't very known to Kaspersky itself. I had to manually add it as trusted otherwise it's on low restricted.

screenshot_15.png

Source: http://whitelisting.kaspersky.com/advisor#search/afa82f780a89ca4474cc80045721e104

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Kaspersky told me they can't reproduce the results which most likely is because of increase of my heuristic setting (which is what detects it). Told me to send screenshots if the problem persists (which I will do). The exclusions are set to completely ignore Crystal Security in every single module. I might have missed something though. Will uninstall, reinstall, and reconfigure. The exclusion problem might be a bug in the RC version. Never had a problem with Kaspersky 2015 and Crystal Security after all.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Time to give Crystal Security a spin.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Crystal Security
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.0.139
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Crystal%20Security/Crystal%20Security.exe
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
8b6ffd7b33b24b5e8cd424d8adb130ae
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.0.139
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Crystal%20Security/Crystal%20Security.exe
System.Xml.Linq
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Management
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Interop.SHDocVw
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Mommy%20Remy/AppData/Roaming/Crystal%20Security/3.5/Interop.SHDocVw.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Fullscreen%252520capture%2525207242015%25252093603%252520AM.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.