Battle Lightest antivirus 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I have to agree about the statements on disposing things like garbage collection etc.
I do a lot of programming in .NET and have to concur.
Also C and C++ make very light applications, ahem *cough* ESET.
They use assembly as well though.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Very very good point Cats!
I love throwing a wrench in the engine though. :eek:
What about users who send hundreds of e-mails using ms outlook or something. :p
I think Microsoft's security could fall short, and only the common sense and sandbox could save them. :D

When common sense is taking a nap, (hopefully not too often):D it's good to know users of e-mail client programs can fall in the sandbox with no serious injuries.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Arakasi!:) Keep throwing those friendly :eek:flying wrenches!:D They make the engines more fun!:):)

D

Deleted member 178

And VoodooShield... Version 2 is almost finished, and will be much faster than 1.3

I beta tested the v2 until two month, it had a lot of issues on my win8 , i had to gave up. Will check it again to see how it perform. I also wait ReHips , seems an excellent concept.

Reactions: Overkill
D

Deleted member 21043

I have to agree about the statements on disposing things like garbage collection etc.
I do a lot of programming in .NET and have to concur.
Also C and C++ make very light applications, ahem *cough* ESET.
They use assembly as well though.
You can actually call the Garbage Collector (GC.Collect) in VB, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is meant to be automatic and can cause problems. One problem I know I have had in the paste with forcing it to work and so on, is a unresponsive User Interface which is no good.

Reactions: Arakasi

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The only thing with threatfire is it was retired years ago after symantec purchased pctools.
Its no longer in production, doesnt receive updates, etc, etc, i would not know where to begin with how good it might be at handling todays latest threats. I would sure enjoy some testing against the new forms of malware today.

Why don't you do that when you have the time, Araakasi? I'm intrigued by ThreatFire after reading the glowing reviews of it. I downloaded the last version but haven't installed it yet.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I need light and free as I got a PC made in Bedrock :p
Roboscan over 360 IS?

I haven't tried Qihoo 360. I have tried avast!, Webroot, and Roboscan. Roboscan is definitely the lightest of those three. I haven't heard any other users claim Qihoo 360 is lighter than Webroot or avast! My clear impression would be that Roboscan is lighter than Qihoo 360.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Thats a valid point. I forgot about CPU usage But doesn't any computer made after say 2010 or after have the multiple processor CPU's installed?:confused: So, there really should not be a problem I would think?

Reactions: Littlebits

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
But doesn't any computer made after say 2010 or after have the multiple processor CPU's installed?:confused: So, there really should not be a problem I would think?

A lot of us are on computers that are pre-2010, although for me there is light at the end of the tunnel.:D I think even with new computers there's probably a lot of performance difference between an ordinary AMD and a high-grade Intel.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I beta tested the v2 until two month, it had a lot of issues on my win8 , i had to gave up. Will check it again to see how it perform. I also wait ReHips , seems an excellent concept.
I haven't tried Qihoo 360. I have tried avast!, Webroot, and Roboscan. Roboscan is definitely the lightest of those three. I haven't heard any other users claim Qihoo 360 is lighter than Webroot or avast! My clear impression would be that Roboscan is lighter than Qihoo 360.
Hello.

I have tried Avast, Webroot and Roboscan. Surely Roboscan is light, but for my experience Webroot is still lighter! Also, Roboscan adds more time to boot up compared to Webroot which almost adds nothing.

But after that boot, Roboscan is so light, but still Webroot is lighter. About detection, Roboscan trumps over Webroot.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I used Avira quite a while ago & it was OK at basic protection. They have since upped their game plan & I read its really good now.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.