Advice Request 2017: Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 41 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have to agree here, seeing I just started using AirVPN, and here in the US I do have access to some fast servers.
I love that they log 0% so there is nothing to collect and they are not located "Based" on US soil.
I voted "Other" = AirVPN
Hi

Can check whether its double-hop servers can be individually selectable to pair or are they already paired for double-hop?

Thanks

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi

Can check whether its double-hop servers can be individually selectable to pair or are they already paired for double-hop?

Thanks
I know you can select, and lock certain servers that you only want to use, now weather that influences the "hops"
is a good question I am not sure, AIRvpn would be the ones to ask.
I will do some asking on their forums and report back here for you. ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I know you can select, and lock certain servers that you only want to use, now weather that influences the "hops"
is a good question I am not sure, AIRvpn would be the ones to ask.
I will do some asking on their forums and report back here for you. ;)
Thank you very much

FYI, I'm using Windscribe VPN and you can select any 2 servers for its double-hop

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@_CyberGhosT_

Can I ask whether you used CyberGhost VPN before?

If yes,

Did you try out its connection to Tor? Is the connection in this manner CG ==> Tor ==> Internet? If yes, how to know traffic is indeed passing through CG into Tor since it is still possible to surf inside Tor with/without CG, right?

How you rate CG VPN's performance from 1 to 10(Best)

Any reasons why you are changing to AirVPN now?

Thanks

Note:- I just tried CG free but not sure whether it's connecting to Tor since there's no username and password input in its SOCKS 5 proxy box

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@_CyberGhosT_

Can I ask whether you used CyberGhost VPN before?

If yes,

Did you try out its connection to Tor? Is the connection in this manner CG ==> Tor ==> Internet? If yes, how to know traffic is indeed passing through CG into Tor since it is still possible to surf inside Tor with/without CG, right?

How you rate CG VPN's performance from 1 to 10(Best)

Any reasons why you are changing to AirVPN now?

Thanks

Note:- I just tried CG free but not sure whether it's connecting to Tor since there's no username and password input in its SOCKS 5 proxy box
I get asked this a lot, and no I don't use CG-VPN, and a note here: I had this as a gaming name way before the CG-VPN was
a brain fart in someones head. My gaming buddies tease me about suing them to change it lol
Of course I am not that anal about it seeing I only use it mainly for gaming and forums, had I been in business and using that
for business purposes that would have solicited a reaction out of me.
AirVPN is my first serious attempt to incorporate a VPN into my digital life and I can tell you I am glad A couple members here
stepped up and convinced me to give them a go.
I am confused where you get that I am changing from CG-VPN to AirVPN, I don't know where you got that ?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I get asked this a lot, and no I don't use CG-VPN, and a note here: I had this as a gaming name way before the CG-VPN was
a brain fart in someones head. My gaming buddies tease me about suing them to change it lol
Of course I am not that anal about it seeing I only use it mainly for gaming and forums, had I been in business and using that
for business purposes that would have solicited a reaction out of me.
AirVPN is my first serious attempt to incorporate a VPN into my digital life and I can tell you I am glad A couple members here
stepped up and convinced me to give them a go.
I am confused where you get that I am changing from CG-VPN to AirVPN, I don't know where you got that ?
Sorry to ask that.

Anyway hope that you can give a review of the AirVPN soon.

Thanks

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Arvin(ExpressVPN support team) just told me that ExpressVPN is not in a 14 Eyes country.

And you can try to test your vpn speed and privacy on this site
VPN Speed Test

Amvt285

Level 1
Verified
Apr 15, 2016
I narrowed down my choices for a vnp service to Express, Ipvanish and PIA since I am after speed. But since I was running Avast free I decided to give their secureline a try and I was surprise by the results. From what I understand your only suppose to lose 10-20% of bandwidth from the best service. I only loss around 6% of my actual download speed with secureline shall I just stick with avast?

Vpn off
5LgBww.png

Vpn on
L5qYNp.png

Upon further testing I decided to go with ExpresssVPN because their speed is very consistent compared to other services I've tried.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
F-secure freedome for me.I don't think it's the fastest among VPNs. But the law in Nordic countries and Finland, in the case of F-secure, is excellent for VPN providers. And protection against trackers is integrated in the client itself. Some VPNs don't offer protection against trackers, while for others you need to add Extensions to your browser.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
F-secure freedome for me.I don't think it's the fastest among VPNs. But the law in Nordic countries and Finland, in the case of F-secure, is excellent for VPN providers. And protection against trackers is integrated in the client itself. Some VPNs don't offer protection against trackers, while for others you need to add Extensions to your browser.
You sure about Finland? Read below

Data Retention Laws By Country | Golden Frog

Reactions: ispx and frogboy

tryfon

Level 2
Verified
May 13, 2017
Hotspot Shield has been pretty good, mainly because it bypasses the school restrictions put on the wifi. All other VPNs I've tested are blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.