Advice Request 2017: Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 41 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I've heard mixed reviews about PureVPN but at least they're based in Hongkong, advertise no-logs and the server park is impressive.

There's a lifetime deal going on here btw. Don't forget to add the PUREVPN15 coupon in case you want to grab it.
(Might even be able to combine it with the current Father's Day deal DAD10, haven't tried it, though.)

KettyMitchels

Aug 5, 2017
I have been using NordVPN for more than a year now and found it good, fast and faced no issue so far. It suits my budget as well and I am able to unblock and download torrents as well by selecting P2P servers specified by NordVPN

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
NordVPN has been working well for me for almost two years now, too. My only issues are sometimes speeds (which I do expect, at that price they have to oversell a bit) and intermittent connection loss with the Mac client, but that has also gotten better as of late.

It is also one of the few that let me watch American Netfl*x from abroad without too much hassle. Surprisingly, support has always been quick and answered precisely whenever needed. Cost-performance ratio is definately great.

Reactions: given and frogboy

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
ivpn. I've tried several vpn, currently using ivpn, why, it's recommended by knowledgeable folks, and found it to be very good. my current second choice is protonvpn (paid, not free version).

Reactions: given

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
ivpn. I've tried several vpn, currently using ivpn, why, it's recommended by knowledgeable folks, and found it to be very good. my current second choice is protonvpn (paid, not free version).
Seen some reddit posts on portonvpn free and it seems the waiting list is hella long and not moving. The paid versions seem slow due to some unnecessary configurations to "boost privacy"

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Seen some reddit posts on portonvpn free and it seems the waiting list is hella long and not moving. The paid versions seem slow due to some unnecessary configurations to "boost privacy"

I was a protonvpn beta tester for several months and when it went online I have premium. Can't address waiting list. I do see from protonvpn that the free public servers are in heavy use relative to premium servers. My experience premium is a stable connection and moderately fast, perhaps not the fastest but I'd say above average. Protonvpn offers "secure core" which is a double hop, and I'm not finding any leaks. Secure core is optional connection. It also has Tor connections. I also use ivpn, which has multiple hops which are more configurable than proton's.

KettyMitchels

Aug 5, 2017
I have been using NordVPN for more than a year now and found it good, fast and faced no issue so far. It suits my budget as well and I am able to unblock and download torrents as well by selecting P2P servers specified by NordVPN
NordVPN has been working well for me for almost two years now, too. My only issues are sometimes speeds (which I do expect, at that price they have to oversell a bit) and intermittent connection loss with the Mac client, but that has also gotten better as of late.

It is also one of the few that let me watch American Netfl*x from abroad without too much hassle. Surprisingly, support has always been quick and answered precisely whenever needed. Cost-performance ratio is definately great.

You are right It is also working on Netflix US, I am in UAE I use it to access Netflix US, for me it is the best VPN for Netflix

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: given and Fritz

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
In the past, I've tried and/or subscribed to about a dozen VPNs and my favourite is ExpressVPN. It is fast, the client is a breeze to use and I it worked well with my pfSense router/firewall too. Best of all, it supports P2P.

So my list of favourites based on performance from my country with a 100/100 Mbps FTTC connection:

a) ExpressVPN
b) IPVanish
c) VPN.ac
d) Windscribe
e) NordVPN
f) Private Internet Access
g) VPN Unlimited
h) Ivacy
i) VPN Secure
j) PureVPN
k)TigerVPN
l) Hotspot VPN
m) anon.io (avoid at all costs)

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm using Mullvad. It takes some time to connect but once connected it's very fast. I barely notice any drop in speed. It also does port forwarding if you use any software that needs it.

Nnyan

Sep 6, 2017
I've used just about everyone on your list but of my current favorites only one makes your list (NordVPN). The other faves are AirVPN and Mullvad

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I bought licenses for F-Secure Freedome ages ago because they were discounted and the VPN is provided by a respected and long-standing security company.

In retrospect, Kaspersky's VPN looks better value- its about $20 for 5 devices a year I think. It uses Hotspotshield and seems pretty fast and stable.

The problem I have with using a VPN on a phone is that you have to wait for the VPN to connect before you can check email etc, so it slows things down a lot. For that reason I tend to keep it switched off. You can set VPNs to stay connected permanently, but surely that would just drain my phone battery??

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.