Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
I recently got a new 64 bit Windows 7 PC.

Since I have had 32bit PC's before, I was wondering should I install all 64 bit software if its available?
I'm a little confused on what is the better choices... so far,
I have;

IE 11 x64

Firefox x86

CCleaner x64

MBAM x86

As I found out, the main download link is not always (x64) on the download webpages. Can I install the x64 versions of Malwarebytes and Firefox over the 32 bit (x86) versions I have already ? Or will it cause an error... should I keep Firefox and MBAM as is?

I also would like to know what are the benefits and downfalls of the 32 and 64 bit versions. Does adobe run 64bit flash player more efficiently then the 32 bits?

It seems IE 11 x64 runs youtube much smoother then x86 Firefox, or is that the browser itself? ...

Any light on this subject will be great, and not too familar yet with the bit versions, so far I learned 64 bit can handle a lot more RAM.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
32 and 64 bit go into different Program File folders.

Capture.png

You'd end up having both 32bit and 64bit installed at the same time. I'd uninstall and install 64bit versions. They are faster and more secure but at the cost of more RAM.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for the informative tips ! :cool:

What I might do is keep 32 bit Fox, and then try something like Pale Moon x64 or SlimJet x64... or just have two x64 gecko engine browsers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

What about plugins/extensions/addons, etc... compatibility with 64 bits software like browsers, etc...?

I use 32 bits of Chrome instead of 64 coz I thought plugins, etc... would not be compatible. And why Chrome & others offer 32 bits browser & software by default?

Reactions: OokamiCreed
Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Thanks for the informative tips ! :cool:

What I might do is keep 32 bit Fox, and then try something like Pale Moon x64 or SlimJet x64... or just have two x64 gecko engine browsers.

but I probably will uninstall and re-install a x64 malwarebytes.
Give SlimJet x64 a try it is very stable, blindingly fast, has antifingrprinting and does not leak WebRTC information. :cool::D

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
What about plugins/extensions/addons, etc... compatibility with 64 bits software like browsers, etc...?

I use 32 bits of Chrome instead of 64 coz I thought plugins, etc... would not be compatible. And why Chrome & others offer 32 bits browser & software by default?

32bit plugins and addons are compatible with 64bit but not vice versa. So you can run a 64bit browser with your old plugins and addons/extensions.

Upvote 0

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014

64 bits are better, but not all computer are 64 bits. So they have to have both versions.

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Give SlimJet x64 a try it is very stable, blindingly fast, has antifingrprinting and does not leak WebRTC information. :cool::D

I would also recommend Slimjet 64bit for Chrome alternative and Cyberfox 64bit for Firefox alternative (which has both a custom Intel/AMD build - you'd want to go with AMD if you have an AMD processor, etc). Firefox doesn't have a 64bit version so you have to go with Cyberfox, Palemoon, or Waterfox.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I believe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) has the ONE download on its main page, I think thats the only option right?

Upvote 0
I

illumination

This question is best answered with a question... How much ram does this new system have in place?
32 bit applications can only utilize up to 3 gig of ram, where as 64 bit can utilize much more and will. If your system only has 4 gig of ram, then there is not much sense in using 64 bit applications, but say you have 8 gig of ram or so, then you will benefit from using 64 bit applications.

Reactions: Oxygen and frogboy
Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
This question is best answered with a question... How much ram does this new system have in place?
32 bit applications can only utilize up to 3 gig of ram, where as 64 bit can utilize much more and will. If your system only has 4 gig of ram, then there is not much sense in using 64 bit applications, but say you have 8 gig of ram or so, then you will benefit from using 64 bit applications.

Typically 32bit will run about 1.5GB on idle. 64bit uses around 1.5 to 2.1GB on idle. It's an estimate. I run 6GB of RAM myself and it never even goes over 5GB of used RAM. Stays under 4.5GB and I do a lot of multitask work. Used RAM can be offloaded to the page file (which Windows takes care of on its own) which can reduce RAM by pushing that used RAM usage into disk then back into RAM when you start using that program again.

Note: This probably isn't the best way to word it. Someone else could probably word the work of the page file better.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014

I have just a 3 Gigs of RAM.

However I notice IE 11 springs along much better on 64bits then Firefox 32 bit. RAM usage is somewhat high but not much more then usual full featured browsers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

My system has 4 GB RAM only so I am better with 32 bits softs than 64?

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

However I notice IE 11 springs along much better on 64bits then Firefox 32 bit. RAM usage is somewhat high but not much more then usual full featured browsers.

I would at least increase it to 5GB of RAM. As I said before, I use 6GB of RAM which I can never seem to fill up. Max out at about 4.5GB so 5 is a good minimum for multitask but 4GB is fine. I'd highly recommend 6GB or more however. Will keep your system running smooth. Getting near the limit of RAM (like with a hard drive), it will slow the system a bit.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Typically 32bit will run about 1.5GB on idle. 64bit uses around 1.5 to 2.1GB on idle. It's an estimate. I run 6GB of RAM myself and it never even goes over 5GB of used RAM. Stays under 4.5GB and I do a lot of multitask work. Used RAM can be offloaded to the page file (which Windows takes care of on its own) which can reduce RAM by pushing that used RAM usage into disk then back into RAM when you start using that program again.

Note: This probably isn't the best way to word it. Someone else could probably word the work of the page file better.
Exactly. I was not saying 64 bit will not run or utilize under 8 gig, but was pointing out that one would not see much benefit of running 64 bit under that amount.

64 bit IE will be smoother then 32 bit firefox..
You just will not see the full benefit of 64 bit application with that little of ram.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.