3link9's Desktop Config

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

I do wonder if you have game mode on before you switch off the pc, would that suppress the need to update upon reboot. One thing I never tried when I had EAM.
3link9/Umbra: could one of you do this test?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
i will test , let me reinstall EAM

Yeah Let me know since I'm not going to be on my desktop til later today.

D

Deleted member 178

i will disable auto update then wait 2h reboot and see if it update itself after the boot, theorically it shouldn't.

edit:

after rebooting the cpu/ram spikes are still present, for few seconds , on my system a2services.exe rises from 0 to 35%; and the RAM rises to 235mb
After i turned on automatic updates then the classic spikes comes as expected.

P

Plexx

Umbra Corp. said:
i will disable auto update then wait 2h reboot and see if it update itself after the boot, theorically it shouldn't.

edit:

after rebooting the cpu/ram spikes are still present, for few seconds , on my system a2services.exe rises from 0 to 35%; and the RAM rises to 235mb
After i turned on automatic updates then the classic spikes comes as expected.

As suspected then, nothing changed. I understand they came a long way versus version 6 but this is really setting people back.

Only users who still remain with EAM (Majority) would be the users with a high end system where this wouldn't affect much.

D

Deleted member 178

yes not saying EAM affect the HDD more than other soft, it makes the HDD grinding during updates

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Ah I see, thanks for the test Umbra! I hope they do solve these spikes.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:
EAM is back as a OD scanner for performance reasons.

I just need the extra memory and CPU for VM and some games atm.

I might However use EIS as realtime and remove comodo as Comodo has been CPU spiking and I been getting memory spikes at random up to 162K.
However, I'm not sure if EIS is going to be any different right now, I'll give it another test run later and make a final decision.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:

Removed Comodo Internet Security

Added Trend Micro Internet Security

Trend sent me an email tonight saying to upgrade to Trend Micro IS 2013 with my current running licence which last til March so since Comodo has been giving me spikes I figured I'll switch back to Trend and so far is working out well like I expected, Its actually pretty light! I like it better than the 2012 version!

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:
Added Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete

So I'm going back to webroot again as I just love the software, However I'm going to search for a AV to run alongside it thats light since Comodo is giving me massive CPU spikes and Emsisoft is being heavy on me so until then, its just going to be Webroot on its own.
To users of webroot:
Will its firewall conflict with a IS suite such as Norton? I'm not too famliar with Webroot's firewall atm.
Also if anyone can forward me to a article or video explaining how webroot works in general, Let me know!

D

Deleted member 178

3link9 said:
To users of webroot:
Will its firewall conflict with a IS suite such as Norton? I'm not too famliar with Webroot's firewall atm.

WSA's FW is not a real firewall just a outbound connections monitor, so no conflicts with any FWs.

Also if anyone can forward me to a article or video explaining how webroot works in general, Let me know!

check my sig (reviews):D

one of my articles : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-WSA-works

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright, Thanks Umbra! I guess I'll go grab my Norton again :)

D

Deleted member 178

Norton & WSA wil be very good together, light and efficient.

Do not worry if WSA seems to do nothing, WSA kicks-in only if the Primary AV (NIS in your case) miss something.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I don't think you need wsa along side with norton
No need to to add 2 real time protection unless one bite by umbra mosquito :p

Its my personal view: No need to add webroot along with another standard av,its just a marketing policy which created this hype or custom.Remember if a good stand alone av will fail to catch the specific threat, webroot will definitely miss it.

P

Plexx

Adding WSA to Norton is actually a valid approach. Sure detection ain't as great as Norton but its the features that complement the combo and none of the modules conflict.

WSA on its own is ok for the normal user however one must note: There is no exclude folder scan option, so if you are a gamer and want to exclude games folders, you can forget about it.

D

Deleted member 178

Stranger said:
No need to to add 2 real time protection unless one bite by umbra mosquito :p

he was bitten :D

Norton has a lot of features, WSA too so most of the layers should be covered.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so I have to go grab another license for NIS since it runs out next week (Last years Christmas gift to myself from a great sale XD) So I'll head to my local wholesale club and pick up a box later on.

As for the posts above, I actually been doing some VM testing with webroot, It actually caught things and I just love the features and tools it has, I just love it especially since its very light. Very impressed and I will probably use it for a very long time.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so,
I added Norton IS 2013 and thankfully Norton has a skip and continue feature for its compatible check since it told me to uninstall Webroot since its not compatible which to my knowledge is.
But So far so good.
Just incase, I'm going to run Norton on a trial since I have yet to head to my wholesale club and pick up a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.