3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: 3link9's "New" Laptop Config

Earth said:
What was wrong with your other config?

Nothing, Just the other config was my old laptop which I threw away and wanted to post this one.
Old one had trend but didn't want to go through the whole hassle of grabbing the new trial so I went with something different by adding WSA and I still had my licenses for EIS.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

No backup options?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

3link9 said:
Oh I almost forgot, Thanks for that McLovin!
Added ;)

Glad to see a backup option now :D

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 10/15/12)

Update:
Removed WSA Complete

Sorry Umbra, The new config layout is out and I'm to lazy to go through yours and change it lol.
Loving the new config options, More detailed, etc.

So I'm getting ready for CIS v6 as I might use it alongside EAM :D

Z

ZeroDay

CIS 6 should be enough on it's own imho.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

ZeroDay said:
CIS 6 should be enough on it's own imho.

Yeah but I don't want to waste the license.

Z

ZeroDay

I can't blame you for that, I love EAM myself.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Removed:
Emsisoft IS
Hitman Pro
Firefox
IceDragon
Webroot SA

Added:
McAfee SAS

Changed:
Security Risk Set to Low
Main Browser set to IEw/Bing

Alright so, I'm getting a gaming rig, its a upgraded Dell XPS 600 that my Aunt decided to give me as she's getting a new one so i'm removing and cleaning this laptop out and going to be using it for School and Work only so I'm going to use the McAfee SAS that they gave me and pretty much only going to have the basic on this laptop. (IE, Windows Firewall, MBAM, etc) Its going to be VERY rare for this system getting effected so I'm not going to bloat it much with little OD Scanners.

So ill be posting my gaming rigs config soon.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

3link9 said:
Alright so, I'm getting a gaming rig, its a upgraded Dell XPS 600 that my Aunt decided to give me as she's getting a new one so i'm removing and cleaning this laptop out and going to be using it for School and Work only so I'm going to use the McAfee SAS that they gave me and pretty much only going to have the basic on this laptop. (IE, Windows Firewall, MBAM, etc) Its going to be VERY rare for this system getting effected so I'm not going to bloat it much with little OD Scanners.

Your aunt gave you a gaming rig? :biggrin:

What exactly is McAfee SAAS? Anyway, in your case, I'd go with MSE/Avast!, Windows Firewall, Chrome, MBAM. That's a pretty light config.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 11/8/12)

How does McAfee SaaS work?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

BSOD said:
3link9 said:

Your aunt gave you a gaming rig? :biggrin:

What exactly is McAfee SAAS? Anyway, in your case, I'd go with MSE/Avast!, Windows Firewall, Chrome, MBAM. That's a pretty light config.
Yeah, Her and my Grandmother are gaming nerds (Don't ask) it was actually my grandmothers but she gave it to my aunt but never used it as shes getting a new rig so its specs are good and its free so I'm not complaining.

Honnestly, I have no idea what SAAS really is.... but I do know it offers protection as I used it a year before I became security savy(ish).
I'll be using that since I'm only using it for School/Work and there's really no need to use anything else as it will VERY rarely get a chance to be infected. All I know is that it has a cloud, heuristics (Artemis), signatures and whatever else I don't know. I'll post a screenshot when I have the chance.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Alright so Mcafee has somewhat finished installing and I guess they renamed the program to "Total Protection Service" Same UI, shield, features, etc.
I haven't used it in over a year so I'll find out if anything changed.

So i'll post a screenshot when its finished.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Update on McAfee:
Alright, so I was wrong It IS still called Security As A Service as I just remembered to update since I installed with a VERY old version but its all up to date now.
Here are the screenshots:

Icon:
[attachment=2643]

UI:
[attachment=2644]

Updates:
[attachment=2645]
[attachment=2646]

Product Screen:
[attachment=2647]

Scans:
[attachment=2648]
[attachment=2649]

Attachments

• Captureicon.PNG
    Captureicon.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 525
  • CaptureUI.PNG
    CaptureUI.PNG
    66.3 KB · Views: 465
  • CaptureUpdate.PNG
    CaptureUpdate.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 441
  • CaptureUpdate2.PNG
    CaptureUpdate2.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 452
  • CaptureProduct.PNG
    CaptureProduct.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 451
  • CaptureScan.PNG
    CaptureScan.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 447
  • CaptureScanStarted.PNG
    CaptureScanStarted.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 466

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

McAfee SaaS is cloud only?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Earth said:
McAfee SaaS is cloud only?

Nope, I just found out it has a cloud, Artemis (Heuristics), and it does infact use signatures.

However, it does not have a firewall like the regular McAfee lineup and I also don't think it had Spyware/Adware protection going by what it says in the action center as its only listing Windows Defender.

Edit:
I'm also going to do On-Demand scans with it, So I'll post results in the Virus Exchange.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Alright, I might aswell show you guys what the Alert looks like, Now this I find very annoying if I forget to turn it off when looking at the malware files before the OD scan. Because if its enabled and you even just look at files without even clicking and executing it, It will still detect it, Which is good but can get annoying for somethings. I do not like this type of alert at all, but it does put it in quarantine but I deleted the files before I remembered to screenshot it for ya. But heres the alert:

[attachment=2653]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    191.1 KB · Views: 443
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.