Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
MrExplorer said:
How is Avast going. can you Give a PIC of the TM.

Just installed it so can't tell yet, I'll post a pic in about 8-10 hours from now (It just hit 3AM here and I should really head to bed now lol)

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright heres the pic of the TM, Its been light except for when updating as its been eating up the CPU.
However, Avast still has the problem of slowing down webbrowsing which it only slows about a couple of seconds but it can get annoying.
[attachment=3813]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 473

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about adding the chrome.exe to the Web Shield Exclusions? Or does that not do anything to help web performance? :s

Code:
Open avast > Security tab > Antivirus > Web Shield > Settings > Exclusions > Locate 'C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' > Add > OK

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Earth said:
What about adding the chrome.exe to the Web Shield Exclusions? Or does that not do anything to help web performance? :s

Code:
Open avast > Security tab > Antivirus > Web Shield > Settings > Exclusions > Locate 'C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' > Add > OK

Well I dont use Chrome but if I add IE and FF to Exclusions would that exclude the web protection? I really dont mind the slowdown however.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:
Removed Avast Premier

Added Comodo Internet Security v6

So Avast v8 is a Major fail for me.
So many bugs and the uninstall kept freezing and crashing. So... I had to use the Avast removal tool to uninstall it....Will be writing a quick review... this time its going to be a stable review.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:
Added Avast Free 8
Zone Alarm Free Firewall
Zemana Anti-Logger

So I decided to give this comobo a run and going to run Avast Free and see if the latest program update fixed any stability issues.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Its been over a month since my last config change, So heres my config now:

Added:
NIS
Webroot Secure Anywhere Anti-Virus

Removed
Avast, Zone-Alarm, Zemana.

NIS and Webroot are on active Licenses.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I used the 6 month trail of Webroot SA Antivirus for 2 days, and noticed there was no way to disable the "Permanently erase with Webroot" (regedit may be possible), unless you use Plus or Complete versions.

I'm eager to know how you're running these two together, as I understand you can enable Download Insight to prompt you on even clean files before you execute them.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Earth said:
I used the 6 month trail of Webroot SA Antivirus for 2 days, and noticed there was no way to disable the "Permanently erase with Webroot" (regedit may be possible), unless you use Plus or Complete versions.

I'm eager to know how you're running these two together, as I understand you can enable Download Insight to prompt you on even clean files before you execute them.
Well, I ran this config a lot of times before and tested it a lot, Never had a problem.
It did have a conflict problem before when Webroot decided not to respond when Norton was checking a infected file. Somewhere the internet (note this was a few months ago) I looked and say switching Webroot's Self-Protection from Max to Medium would fix it and it did and I enabled Norton and Webroot to ask before doing anything if that helps.
Didn't do full research on it yet, but its like MBAM, It will work with anything.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
3link9 said:
Well, I ran this config a lot of times before and tested it a lot, Never had a problem.
It did have a conflict problem before when Webroot decided not to respond when Norton was checking a infected file. Somewhere the internet (note this was a few months ago) I looked and say switching Webroot's Self-Protection from Max to Medium would fix it and it did and I enabled Norton and Webroot to ask before doing anything if that helps.
Didn't do full research on it yet, but its like MBAM, It will work with anything.

And have you tested them on malware download? I'm asking because when I used them both they were getting along fine but when testing them on specific links with malware they both detect, I ran into BSOD.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
normalizerx said:
And have you tested them on malware download? I'm asking because when I used them both they were getting along fine but when testing them on specific links with malware they both detect, I ran into BSOD.

Yes I have, but I never ran into a BSOD.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
3link9 said:
normalizerx said:

Thanks a lot for answering. I'll probably try them once more though it's probably a problem on Windows 8 only. And does Norton still give an alert about incompatible software from time to time?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From installation if some existing security software installed may pop up for possible conflict.

But when done, Norton pop up for high cpu usage of a certain application only.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
normalizerx said:
3link9 said:
normalizerx said:

Thanks a lot for answering. I'll probably try them once more though it's probably a problem on Windows 8 only. And does Norton still give an alert about incompatible software from time to time?
Yes, but you have the option to ignore it. The only time I seen it pop up is when I install MBAM Free/Pro. I haven't seen it touch webroot yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.