3link9's Laptop Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
PoE looks like a promising one... really should try it out one of these days.
Anyhow, Im not running it right now and I still havent gotten to getting a new Nividia card for my gaming rig which burned out a little while ago which is running webroot.

I experienced a massive FPS drop in GTAIV which never happened until recently, same with World of tanks, Forsaken World and some offline games like Victoria 2, EU3, My total war games, etc. I was trying to figure out what the culprit was but for the last few hours of gaming with Victotria 2 and World of Tanks, Its all back to a normal FPS and everything was rendering just fine the number was where it should be so I guess that solved it. Also, I haven't played Aion in quite awhile so can't tell you there.

Anyhow, Webroot is functional offline with its offline, core, and behavior-type shields it has a small database which updates in the cloud (to my knowledge) I did a offline test in a VM sometime last month and it performed alright (Better if offline protection heur' is on max) but it is better online since the entire product it cloud based.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
You have disabled HIPS in ESET. i think if we disable ESET HIPS we disable ESET Self-Defence

P

Plexx

MrExplorer said:
You have disabled HIPS in ESET. i think if we disable ESET HIPS we disable ESET Self-Defence

It remains ticked on v6/v5 (but you cannot untick).

Even if you have self defense disabled, for someone to disable HIPS means they know what they are doing:)

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so, Eset's RAM useage is insane, I'm experiencing a slight slowdown as this laptop only has (2GB RAM/1.7 usable) So heres what it is idle:

However, when it updates or scans it reaches over 100K and when browsing or executing files it will either stay at 88-96K.

So Eset... not living up to that light title you have, huh?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 471
P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Alright so, Eset's RAM useage is insane, I'm experiencing a slight slowdown as this laptop only has (2GB RAM/1.7 usable) So heres what it is idle:

However, when it updates or scans it reaches over 100K and when browsing or executing files it will either stay at 88-96K.

So Eset... not living up to that light title you have, huh?

ekrn.exe uses that much ram regardless.

You can change how the on access scan behaves.

Computer > Antivirus and antispyware > Real-time file system protection > Threatsense

You can sort of change when you want it to kick in.

Can't remember however from the top of my head which are they but its pretty similar to CAV's on access or avast!'s File Shield settings.

Scanning should be fine unless you tweaked its heuristics etc. I take it you are not using in stock settings?

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Nope used your v5 guide... but its memory usage just got out of hand and since I can't use my Flash CS5.5 which requires a lot of memory which gives me a warning to exit out of applications to free up the memory for it, So since I usually need Firefox, Flash CS5.5, Java, and in some cases, Yahoo Messanger for School and Work, Cant stay with it right now. Since I had to start to use CS5.5 and since my gaming rig is in need of a new card, I need to stick with the light ones for awhile so for now, Switching to EAM which is lighter running at 26-42K usually staying around 32 the most when in use/idle and around 48-52K when updating or scanning. Which is just fine for now.

P

Plexx

avast/CAV (5.12/5.10) should be light and less than 20k if you need it. scanning tho, you might want to do it when not using the system.

If only we could run eset 2.7... good old days.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
avast/CAV (5.12/5.10) should be light and less than 20k if you need it. scanning tho, you might want to do it when not using the system.

If only we could run eset 2.7... good old days.

Avast I'm just no longer a fan of anymore.. It may have been my second ever AV that I used for like 2 years after switching from McAfee in which I used ever since i started using the internet.. I just got sick and tired of the tech problems and I noticed its been slowing my Browsing speed.

I was going to use Comodo but I remembered I still have a running EAM license which I knew was light enough. (As long as I didnt use OA with it)

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Avast I'm just no longer a fan of anymore.. It may have been my second ever AV that I used for like 2 years after switching from McAfee in which I used ever since i started using the internet.. I just got sick and tired of the tech problems and I noticed its been slowing my Browsing speed.

I was going to use Comodo but I remembered I still have a running EAM license which I knew was light enough. (As long as I didnt use OA with it)

I only experienced drops whilst on EAM if it was on its scheduled update, so I had to configure accordingly. Other than that no impact on gaming side. Impact on boot yes but that's another topic.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
3link9 said:

I only experienced drops whilst on EAM if it was on its scheduled update, so I had to configure accordingly. Other than that no impact on gaming side. Impact on boot yes but that's another topic.

Yeah I don't mind the boot delay and so far have not noticed any impacts on any of my games nor did I before.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright Update:
Kso.... My Microsoft Fever is back :D

So, Added MSE along with EAM for a test run.
Switched to IE10

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Quick update:
Alright so... I was reminded why I hate MSE in the first place...

So, going grab AVG Free and give It a test run.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
MrExplorer said:
Instead of AVG Free. I would suggest you to use Comodo Internet Security 6

I'm only taking AVG for a test run to update my opinions.
I was a long time Comodo user but v6 has bugs and flaws that need to be fixed. I'll probally give it a run on the next update depending on its release notes.

However, My main config will usually either be Webroot alone, EAM+Webroot, EAM, or NIS.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Akash209 said:
R u using AVG.>!!!! First time i saw Some one use AVG in this Confi..!!!!
Just testing, I happen to do it once in awhile and see if I need to update my opinions about it. Since its not in a VM its what I call my "Personal realworld testing". Test the impact on my games, overall system performence, bugs, I will also carefully once in awhile throw links at it as long as it will only throw a .exe file at me otherwise I grab a pack and do a OD scan.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Update:
Removed AVG, EAM.

Added the new Avast Premier v8.

Going to test run the new Premier v8... looks nice, I'll see if I should go back to my all time favorite.

I do have a slight feeling it did a Comodo... Ended beta a little early but I hope it proves me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.