Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have been using WinRar for number of years but now changed to 7-Zip as it is Free and not so expensive as WinRar to continue subscription year after year.
yeah, I was just looking at the winrar subscription. I thought their website was somewhat unclear (to me). Lifetime license but yearly subscription for support and updates... I have version 6.xx and see there's a 7.0 -- IIRC the app is $29 & 4.95 for updates...?? unclear. So if I originally paid $29 for lifetime license am I only paying $4.95 to update to 7.0? Was not clear to me in advance what I'd be paying for 7.0 so I did nothing. So I may be going back to 7zip or maybe Nanazip... ... :unsure:
:unsure:

@Gandalf_The_Grey: is Nanazip ok in win10 as I see this... "Due to the design of MSIX, drives' context menu in Explorer only show in Windows 11(22H2)+." I read that to mean that Nanazip is not win10 Explorer context menu :unsure:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey: is Nanazip ok in win10 as I see this... "Due to the design of MSIX, drives' context menu in Explorer only show in Windows 11(22H2)+." I read that to mean that Nanazip is not win10 Explorer context menu :unsure:
For me it reads like only the drives context menu, not the explorer context menu.
Possibly resolved in NanaZip 3.0 Preview 0 (3.0.756.0):
  • Show NanaZip in Drives' ContextMenu. (Contributed by AndromedaMelody.)
Since I do not use Windows 10 I am not sure.
Maybe other members on Windows 10 can check this?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
For me it reads like only the drives context menu, not the explorer context menu.
Possibly resolved in NanaZip 3.0 Preview 0 (3.0.756.0):

Since I do not use Windows 10 I am not sure.
Maybe other members on Windows 10 can check this?
I'm brave :ROFLMAO: -- I'll install Nanazip in the win10 VM...

fwiw nanazip from MS store: "malicious file was quarantined" (I am overprotected)
1710707804855.png

Last edited:

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
In the past I've used WinRaR, nowadays (the last few years) I stick to 7zip completely.
There was a period I was using HaoZip (a free Chinese clone of WinRaR - even the GUI in v3 was the same or pretty similar) but the English version is long ago discontinued. The new version is with a different GUI but sadly only on Chinese. There are some translations to Russian and English from volunteers, but I am not feeling comfortable enough to use it since it's not official.

Reactions: simmerskool

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I tend to use peazip the most although I've got winrar installed too. I used to use 7zip all the time until I had problems password-protecting zips which when tested were corrupted... to be fair that was years ago but never felt the need to go back.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I tend to use peazip the most although I've got winrar installed too. I used to use 7zip all the time until I had problems password-protecting zips which when tested were corrupted... to be fair that was years ago but never felt the need to go back.
To be honest, I hadn't thought about that part as I've only unzipped files with 7-Zip and have not created password-protected files. Just tried one now and it worked, but one is not a thorough test ;)

edit: too many commas in my post..yikes. lol :)

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
The 7zip gui looks like crap. It's so outdated. Even the zip theme manager no longer works with most recent versions. I guess if you wanted the 7zip foundation you could try Nanazip. But I use winrar. I can customize its giu and context menu icons however I want.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.