7zip
peazip
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

kididoh821

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2024
i want to choose best file compression tool for my computer in terms of usability and security+privacy so can MalwareTips help me on that?

Reactions: Dave Russo

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Sure, all three tools offer good compression rates and security. 7zip is open-source and free, offering strong encryption. Peazip also provides strong encryption and is user-friendly. WinRAR, while not free, is widely used and reliable. Consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing.

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
i tested those programs a while ago and over 20 formats i found because my work told me to optimize the processes and gave me 5 days for it.

Test data 4,5tb Roughly of VERY MIXED work data. ( we get Multiple TB per day of work data and as you assume right this is costly to store )
TL;DR
Winrar "RAR4" if you want speed and VERY similiar compression to 7zip.
7zip if you want Open source same compression Roughly as RAR4 but roughly 2x-5x as slow compression.
Zip if you want mostly a bit speedier but worse compression.

none of the other formats were worth it vs 7zip , rar4 , or even Zip mostly which i tested.

this was my result after Literally recompressing 4,5tb of files for multiple days with different compression methods.

For security likely 7zip because it can be fully checked ( Open source )
if you want a professionally maintained one RAR but you never know if it got backdoors.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am using NanaZip as suggested by @SeriousHoax :
Focused on security:
  • Enable Control Flow Guard (CFG) to all target binaries for mitigating ROP attacks.
  • Mark all x86 and x64 target binaries as compatible with Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) Shadow Stack.
  • Strict handle checks at runtime to block the use of invalid handles.
  • Disable dynamic code generation in Release builds prevents generating malicious code at runtime.
  • Block loading unexpected libraries from remote sources at runtime.
  • Enable Package Integrity Check.
  • Enable EH Continuation Metadata.
  • Enable Signed Returns.
And:
  • Support new context menu introduced by Windows 11.
I am currently running NanaZip 3.0 Preview 0 (3.0.756.0):

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.