Advice Request A Browser Extension that prevents Malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am using WD+ConfigHIGH+SWH+VS+BDTrafficLight+UbO. I use Windows Firewall.

I have been wondering about malware that can insert or download itself through my browser when I land on a website that I would not be aware.

I use three browsers, FF, Google Chrome, and the new Edge, all up to date.

I know that a good AV or Extension like BDTL will block a malicious website before one gets there. Is there an extension that can block the type of malware that I describe? I may be misunderstanding browser malware in regard to how they work but I was wondering if it is in the realm of sandboxing but then it would be an additional program leading to bloat and potential conflicts. In essence, overkill?

If anyone can clarify the concept, and make a recommendation, I would appreciate it. Maybe I am overthinking it.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
On the Chrome Web Store there is an extension called Microsoft Defender Browser Protection. Is this WDBP but with different name? I don't see it in WD itself.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't think another AV extension would suite you. On the other hand, what you can do is reduce the attack surface. You can do this by killing the possibilities of infection:

-AdBlocker, to avoid malvertising
-NoScript, to disable scripts
-PopUpBlocker, to avoid pop-ups and redirections
-A good DNS for safe browsing

Also, avoiding illegal sites, cracked software, shady e-mail attachments and the other basic surfing rules you probably already know.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I reread the Netcraft extension description in the Chrome Store. It seems like it does more than BDTrafficlight or Emsisoft extensions with complex malware.

For clarity, does BDT or Emsisoft do the same or should Netcraft be used in combination with one of these? Thanks.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I reread the Netcraft extension description in the Chrome Store. It seems like it does more than BDTrafficlight or Emsisoft extensions with complex malware.

For clarity, does BDT or Emsisoft do the same or should Netcraft be used in combination with one of these? Thanks.
Netcraft is a great extension but its real strength is phishing and (maybe) shopping skimmers, BTL is much better at malware blocking and also great against phishing. So Netcraft would need a companion extension and BTL does not IMO and in testing done here on MT by @Evjl's Rain .

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Netcraft is a great extension but its real strength is phishing and (maybe) shopping skimmers, BTL is much better at malware blocking and also great against phishing. So Netcraft would need a companion extension and BTL does not IMO and in testing done here on MT by @Evjl's Rain .

Thanks for the input. I am sticking with BTL.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

many people/experts/paranoid users like netcraft because of the extra features it offers (malicious javascript, best-in-class phishing protection, and website risk rating/information,...)
for many users like us, they are not super important. BDTL + ublock with custom filters is fine

emsisoft is weak and is becoming weaker overtime. It was very competitive after being released but has not been doing well in several of my recent tests

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Want to share this here since some people use uBlock Origin

"The old popup panel will go away, it's deprecated. Given that I see random bad advices on the web telling people to switch to the old one just to get back the allow rule widget, this motivates me to remove it sooner than later."

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Has anyone here tried Airo? It's a machine-learning AV for Mac but they use Bitdefender signatures to protect Mac users from accidentally passing on malware to Windows devices. Extension is only 125kB. I ran it through amtso and it appears to be working mostly against phishing domains.

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.