JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Yesterday a friend of mine contacted me to ask me if I've ever seen a screen like the one on his laptop (Lenovo Ideapad).
I never had this privilege and you ?
This problem occurs from time to time and the only way to solve it is to restart the laptop.
1.PNG
2.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If the driver is updated and the symptom is not improved, the hardware may be faulty. If possible, try connecting to an external display to see if the same symptoms occur.
I feel like a hardware glitch.
Hello,
My friend tell me that the this problem did not appear on the HDMI screen.

That looks like a hardware issue rather than a driver problem. If your laptop has dedicated graphics (rather than just integrated graphics), it's possible the graphics chip is faulty.
As you can see on the photos below, I don't think that this basic laptop has a dedicated graphic card.

Is it still covered by the warranty?
Unfortunately there is no more guarantee:(
2.PNG
3.PNG

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Is this laptop running Windows 10 v. 2004? It looks like it but the photo is kind of grainy. If it is running 2004, it's no longer possible to update drivers via Device Manager. You can have a look at the Settings App under Windows Updates/Optional Updates link but be very careful. I prefer to go straight to the sources myself.

Source

Either look at Lenovo's site for any Ideapad 330 drivers available or, if your friend is not comfortable taking the back plate off, maybe inquire if there's a reputable shop in the area to troubleshoot the hardware. I read laptops have maybe a three to four year lifespan, sadly. But exhaust all the possibilities first and weigh cost versus benefits.

I don't have the product ID so you'll have to enter that info in order to proceed to the drivers.

Edit: Did your friend know there is this Lenovo software for hardware diagnostics? I don't know how good or specific it is but maybe he can consider running it and see what turns up.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If the display of the external output did not have any problems, it is probably that the LCD itself is defective.
I think the reason why the symptoms are temporarily improved by rebooting is that the signal is reset once.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.