Advice Request About Dr.Web

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Hi !
I use Dr.web on Linux (light and powerful) to avoid grandchildren exchanges with other computers (win or Ios).
But I don't know if this version is light or heavy on windows ?
Thank you for your clarifications

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I write my own answer :giggle:
I try Dr.Web for windows, it seems light on web surfing, it slows down software launch a bit. The more impressive is the firewall, very few pre-authorized applications, it's obligatory to, create its own rules by each application. Long, but very interesting.
I am continuing the trial with 90 days free and a very strong impression of security. The gui is very clear and easy to use.
Really a very interesting product, and not a bloatware at all.

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Okay, end of the parenthesis with Dr.Web. Very interesting, but psycho-rigid, it takes a long time to configure the firewall, among other things with screensavers. The product is powerful, but lacks automation, my wife is stuck with firewall pop-ups all the time. The product is not intuitive enough for a family in which there is only one geek. I return back to my other Russian product, Kaspersky.
Either way, Dr.web requires a fairly powerful machine.
Perhaps later.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I've been testing Dr. Web Security Space v12.5 Beta couple of days now. I really like it so far. I installed only AV and firewall component though.
You can fine-tune it to get even better protection, especially behavior analysis(aka KATANA). Where you can finetune various "HIPS" settings.
Tested it against some new bazaar samples (.exe), and it detected most of them by signatures and the rest of them by heuristic analysis(when running the sample(s).

Cons:
-- Really slow scan speed, even "Express scan" took a lot if time to finish. Didn't bother to do full scan.
-- Installed GOG version of Icewind Dale 2 (about 1,4 gb in size) took about 15 min to finish on quad-core I3 2.0 ghz and SATA II SSD. Disabling "Scan installation packages" sped up the installation procedure a lot.
-- PUP detection should be improved.

Overall, i like Dr.Web Security Space a lot, especially after you tweak it. Dr.Web is not as bad as some tests show. Like i said, you need to tweak it to get most of it.

You can grab nightly beta here. Remember to check "Keys" folder too to get latest beta key.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
For a PC beginner, Dr Web is a nightmare, as its settings are complex and it will ask you to make a lot of decisions on whether to allow internet connection, which is not intelligent. For a PC expert, Dr Web can be a good product, but I have to say there are a lot of better security suites out there.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For a PC beginner, Dr Web is a nightmare, as its settings are complex and it will ask you to make a lot of decisions on whether to allow internet connection, which is not intelligent. For a PC expert, Dr Web can be a good product, but I have to say there are a lot of better security suites out there.
Wouldn't say that it's too complex. The only thing that is complex is the Firewall, which can be unchecked in the installation progress. Apart from that it's pretty basic and easy to understand. It's also pretty effective upon PUPs and riskware if you decide to enable the detection.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I'm trying Dr. Web Security Space since 2 weeks and I feel it smooth and very easy to use.
The firewall is a bit annoying the first day.
I think the protection is as good as the other AV but I'm not sure because I'm not a malwares tester.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'm trying Dr. Web Security Space since 2 weeks and I feel it smooth and very easy to use.
The firewall is a bit annoying the first day.
I think the protection is as good as the other AV but I'm not sure because I'm not a malwares tester.
I was testing it for a few days in the Hub and think that is a quite decent program. However, their ransomware module seems to be a little weak compared to other security solutions.

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
you guys who are interested in Dr.Web might like to know, they have barely "a million" user in fact they have about 997k users.
thats way smaller than even Emsisoft userbase.

now Userbase might not be a factor for a program being good or not. but it is still such an important factor to keep in mind.

the source of them having barely a million user, is one of their last articles in the Antivirus-Times.

yea.

Reactions: Anthony Qian

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
I'm not a user of DrWeb, but I'm still curious, what facts?
Not sure what do you mean by what facts, if you mean the source of that they have only a million user? as i said they mentioned it themselves in one of their recent articles in their Antivirus-Times i don't know which one exactly since i don't follow them that much really

Last edited by a moderator:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
you guys who are interested in Dr.Web might like to know, they have barely "a million" user in fact they have about 997k users.
thats way smaller than even Emsisoft userbase.

now Userbase might not be a factor for a program being good or not. but it is still such an important factor to keep in mind.

the source of them having barely a million user, is one of their last articles in the Antivirus-Times.

yea.
Hello,
Are you speaking about this Dr.Web Download antivirus for PC / Mac / Android
It is the number of community accounts and not the number of Dr.Web' users.
1.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.