Troubleshoot About mobile antivirus on various phones

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 22, 2020
Talking about the post: Need Advice - Is Having A Antivirus Application Installed On A Android Phone Running Version 13 Really Needed ?

My situation is this. My prevoious Samsung phone wasn't having issues with firewall and Sophos security working all together (It has 8 Core exynos 7870, 3GB of RAM which you had about 1.5GB available, 16GB of storage which 10 was available and Android 9). The only issue was the storage and RAM sometimes (it happened one or two times). On my Motorola, however it's impossible to run antivirus despite the power of 765g, 6 gig of RAM (Android 11 with security patch up to July 2022) and lack of bloatware you get on the others (including Samsung). CPU gets really hot. Battery life is ruined. At least they made them physically durable to handle those temperatures. Some of my friends which have the same CPU in OnePlus Nord 8 is having the same problem.

Firewall NoRoot Firewall - Apps on Google Play
Antimalware Sophos Intercept X for Mobile - Apps on Google Play

The simallar experience was with Windscribe VPN sometimes.

What could be the source of problem ? OS ? Application optimization ? Hardware itself ?

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 22, 2020
It’s not unknown for Snapdragon SoC to have heating issues when using Samsung fabrications.
Yes, it's know to me also. But I am going to use this phone for at least 2-3 years (until it dies baisiclly).
What are solutions for this problem ?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, it's know to me also. But I am going to use this phone for at least 2-3 years (until it dies baisiclly).
What are solutions for this problem ?
Have you tried troubleshooting or factory reset to weed out which App(s) are causing the CPU to overheat?

If you suspect it’s Sophos as the culprit, uninstall it.

Are you able to RMA / Refund your Motorola (SD 765G w/ 5G) and get it replaced or swapped?

Reactions: Nevi and Balrog
Upvote 0

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 22, 2020
Have you tried troubleshooting or factory reset to weed out which App(s) are causing the CPU to overheat?

If you suspect it’s Sophos as the culprit, uninstall it.

Are you able to RMA / Refund your Motorola (SD 765G w/ 5G) and get it replaced or swapped?
No, I am not able to replace it unfortunately.
Windscribe is working better but sometimes the problem still persists.

What should I do to troubleshoot the issue ? Is there some kind of Sysinternals' Process Monitor for Windows equivalent on Android ? I tried using system tracing feature (under Developer options) but I find that log barley readable.

Generally, the more I'm having this device the more I'm suspecting this is optimization issue rather than CPU itself. Generally, Motorola is having a lot of issues with camera, storage and other optimizations. People who got Android 11 weren't able to use WhatsApp at all because of their sloppiness.

Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There could be several reasons why you're experiencing these issues on your Motorola device, despite it having better hardware specifications than your previous Samsung phone. Here are some potential causes:

1. **App Optimization**: Apps like Sophos Intercept X, Windscribe VPN, and NoRoot Firewall may not be well-optimized for all devices or operating systems. This could be due to differences in hardware or software between devices, which can affect performance.

2. **Operating System**: Each version of Android may handle background processes and power management differently. Android 11 has brought in some changes in the way it handles background services, which could be affecting the performance of your antivirus and VPN apps.

3. **Hardware**: While the Snapdragon 765G is a powerful chip, different devices may implement it in slightly different ways, leading to variances in performance and power efficiency.

4. **Inter-App Conflicts**: Running multiple security apps concurrently might also lead to conflicts and excessive resource use, causing your device to heat up and drain the battery faster. Each of these apps may be trying to perform similar tasks, which could cause them to work against each other rather than in tandem.

5. **Software Updates**: Sometimes, software updates can lead to unanticipated problems. It's possible that a recent update to your device or to one of the apps is causing the issues.

Here are some potential solutions:

1. **Contact App Developers**: If you believe the problem lies with the apps, consider contacting the developers with your concerns. They may be able to provide specific advice or fixes.

2. **Reduce Overlapping Services**: Running multiple security apps concurrently can sometimes do more harm than good. You might want to consider reducing the number of security apps running at the same time.

3. **Software Updates**: Make sure your device and all your apps are up-to-date. If a recent update caused the issue, a future update might fix it.

4. **Factory Reset**: As a last resort, you could consider performing a factory reset on your device. This will erase all your data and return the device to its original state. If you decide to do this, make sure to back up all your important data first.

Lastly, it's important to note that Android devices, by their nature, already have a number of built-in security features. For many users, installing an additional antivirus app isn't necessary. Rather, practicing good security habits like downloading apps only from trusted sources, keeping your device and apps updated, and not clicking on suspicious links can be more beneficial.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.