Adblocking innovation

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

With my new Windows setup i try this site now too:

my Edge flags + JavaScript blocked by default in Edge + AdGuard + "HTTP://*^$third-party" filter
easy.jpg

Only non-dangerous stuff is loaded (CSS, Images) and it's not a hard setup
I don't add any site specific rule to my setup, but also PiHole work in background/ network

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Corona isolation policies probably triggered a "I want to control things" emotion in me, causing me to use uBlockOrigin again and manually optimizing stuff. As often with emotions, this need faded away and tipped towards the "why bother at all" scale after a few months.

So my "why bother at all" adblocking strategy now is using a DNS service which also blocks advertisements (Next DNS or Adguar DNS) and using two Edge profiles one with Strict Tracking Prevention (and most site permissions on block) and one on default (for banking, booking and buying)

Microsoft Edge allows you to edit the OTHER block list. All domains entered will be blocked, see picture

1595601878953.png

I was using Adguard DNS and posted that itworked okay 99% of the time but occasionally blocked a little to much. A MT-member advised me to try Next DNS and it really works well. When I disable Edge tracking prevention I don't see advertisements on the websites I use to visit. With uBlock-scope I noticed that Next DNS allows some third-party trackers which Edge blocks in strict mode. That is why I am also using Edge tracking protection. Next DNS is free up to 300.000 queries per month.

P.S. I am not using uBlockOrigin anymore, only using uBlock-scope to monitor third-party exposure. After one month I only added 10 additional domains in Edge "Other", so after writing this post I will remove uBO-scope also (it really is a neat tool to measure 3p-exposure).

So my extensions (on Edge) are limited to:
- Blank Tab (only runs on New Tab)
- Adblock for Youtube (only allowed to run on youtube.com)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Corona isolation policies probably triggered a "I want to control things" emotion in me, causing me to use uBlockOrigin again and manually optimizing stuff. As often with emotions, this need faded away and tipped towards the "why bother at all" scale after a few months.

So my "why bother at all" adblocking strategy now is using a DNS service which also blocks advertisements (Next DNS or Adguar DNS) and using two Edge profiles one with Strict Tracking Prevention (and most site permissions on block) and one on default (for banking, booking and buying)

Microsoft Edge allows you to edit the OTHER block list. All domains entered will be blocked, see picture

View attachment 244556

I was using Adguard DNS and posted that itworked okay 99% of the time but occasionally blocked a little to much. A MT-member advised me to try Next DNS and it really works well. When I disable Edge tracking prevention I don't see advertisements on the websites I use to visit. With uBlock-scope I noticed that Next DNS allows some third-party trackers which Edge blocks in strict mode. That is why I am also using Edge tracking protection. Next DNS is free up to 300.000 queries per month.

View attachment 244557

P.S. I am not using uBlockOrigin anymore, only using uBlock-scope to monitor third-party exposure. After one month I only added 10 additional domains in Edge "Other", so after writing this post I will remove uBO-scope also (it really is a neat tool to measure 3p-exposure).

So my extensions (on Edge) are limited to:
- Blank Tab (only runs on New Tab)
- Adblock for Youtube (only allowed to run on youtube.com)
Nice setup!
Thanks reminding me with the Edge filterlist so even using a hosts file isn't needed anymore which slow down the system anyway.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Nice setup!
Thanks reminding me with the Edge filterlist so even using a hosts file isn't needed anymore which slow down the system anyway.
Yes, but don't forget to add a / at the end of the domain name
example.com/

I think Microsoft only added this option for their "does tracking protection works test' (other-tracker.msedgedemo.example/). So this OTHER list probably also works in default mode. MHH this asks for a test. I will download Kees1958 TOP500 and add it to other (and install ublock-scope again to check whether it works :sneaky: :) ) NOPE does not

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
His list only works with adblock compatible add-ons but if you want use it as hosts file, you can modify the list / add the domains to edge filter list.
Or you add these domains to your NextDNS config
Thanks I had changed ||domain$third-party to domain/ format, but it only seems to work in strict mode

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
BUMMER. This alwaus happpens to me, I post something on MT, then something happens which makes me change my mind..

I just found out that Kees1958 posted a new top3000 list on Github. So saddling up uBlockOrigin again, to see how this Top3000 list performs.

Link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/master/Top3000

Wow - that is neat on first sight (compared to uBO default). Did a quick check and video's played on CNN, BBC and FOX (and Dutch news website NOS, NU and RTL). Cureous whether this larger list will generate website issues. Shows that when you visit websites with more than 1000 visitors per day, the small list (TOP3000 has less than 3000 rules) does well compared to uBO-default.

1595673942217.png

This is a to small test to have any value, but looks good for TOP3000 (4 wins over uBO-default, 1 draw and 1 loss).

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I want posting the same :D

After 3 month's now a update from him (y)
What I understood, is that he uses surveys of webtechnology used and changes them to addblockplus format. Those surveys are published probably once in a year. That is why the update frequency is so low (once a year).

It seems that another Github user (BeerIsGood) helps to solve false positives.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

View attachment 244556
I don't know why, but looks like this doesn't works.
Any domains i add are still available, even after Edge restart. I also try to move the example domain to bottom but doesn't help.
Can someone verify that?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As Corona isolation continues, the emotional see-saw does too. o_O :D
Can someone verify that?
I haven't tried it,

... however I did notice that Edge does give some additional protections like cryptominers and fingerprinting. I don't know how well a list-based method works in the case of the latter. :unsure:

Reactions: Protomartyr

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I guess this is Adblocking innovation but I'm wondering about redirect protection for mis-typed urls. I'm occasionally typing out the wrong address and I suppose the key is to add sites to favourites but what's people's recommendations for addons or tweaks to prevent mis-typed urls? Just curious.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I guess this is Adblocking innovation but I'm wondering about redirect protection for mis-typed urls. I'm occasionally typing out the wrong address and I suppose the key is to add sites to favourites but what's people's recommendations for addons or tweaks to prevent mis-typed urls? Just curious.
You can enable or disable such a feature in Edge settings.
I disable it and in typo i just get search results from my search engine (Startpage). No addons or tweaks needed. This also prevent miss typed URLs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.